Windows installation of home assistant

Hi,
I’m new in home assistant and I want to test it on windows before buy a rasberry pi.I know It is not recommanded on windows.
I have this problem when I want to install it:

ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: 'C:\Users\clery\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\clery\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-omsiw9uu\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\clery\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-omsiw9uu\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\clery\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-l6i05s10\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --compile
         cwd: C:\Users\clery\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-omsiw9uu\ciso8601\
    Complete output (12 lines):
    running install
    running build
    running build_py
    package init file 'ciso8601\__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)
    creating build
    creating build\lib.win32-3.8
    creating build\lib.win32-3.8\ciso8601
    copying ciso8601\__init__.pyi -> build\lib.win32-3.8\ciso8601
    copying ciso8601\py.typed -> build\lib.win32-3.8\ciso8601
    running build_ext
    building 'ciso8601' extension
    error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 is required. Get it with "Microsoft Visual C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: 'C:\Users\clery\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\clery\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-omsiw9uu\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\clery\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-omsiw9uu\\ciso8601\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\clery\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-l6i05s10\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --compile Check the logs for full command output.

I already have Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0.
Can somebody help me?

PS: I’m french, then I don’t speak very good English.

For testing I would recommend to set up a VM with VirtualBox. That way you keep your system clean. You’ll find the images for a virtual appliance here: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/
Details instructions can be found on the web. :+1:

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

I did the same as you but found it quite frustrating to setup HA in a VM as there was no supervisor/addons without installing them manually.

Get a Pi - it’s the easiest way to set it up and you can always find another use for it if you don’t want to keep HA.

Ok thanks, I’m gonna try, it’s good idea.

Yes, I think I’ll buy one. thanks

If you use the HassOS in a VM, you absolutely get supervisor and addons.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t know that at the time. Oh well, one more box in the rack never hurt anyone, did it?