Working away on my new config

Thanks again to the community for your work and documentation that I slavishly followed to make my latest Home Assistant server.

I am upgrading from my old Raspberry Pi 3b and so far have got the following going.

1. NUC Intel BOXNUC7CJYH4 / 250Gb SSD / 8Gb RAM / Headless / Wireless
  2. Software Ubuntu 18.04 minimal, Docker, Hassio and Portainer
  3. Addons include Configurator, Duck DNS, Glances, Hassio Google Drive Backup, IDE, Mosquitto, Samba, Tasmo Admin and Wireguard.
  4. Community Store integrations for lighting, Grid Tie Inverter, WillyWeather and a few plugins for Mini Media Player and a Weather Card.
  5. Web Integrations for Philips Hue, Sonoff and also played with Nuba Casa (It works so well).

I had quite a hard time getting remote access to work but in the end, churned my ISP (TPG) using a VLAN2 configuration to a (Belong) IPoE service. This allowed me to plug my Google Wifi (3x Mesh) straight to the Arris NTD on the Australian Broadband Network. Finally, the double NAT was gone, WiFi signal everywhere with access from anywhere!.

Wireguard is amazing and so fast to remote access into Hassio.
Glances also answered a few questions for me about how much load the NUC was under.

Hassio Google Drive Backup is amazing/ essential to recover quickly.

The worst bug I encountered was trying to use Chrome Remote Desktop as a remote access solution for the headless server. Lost the terminal on the Unbuntu 18.04, only after reinstalling the OS again and losing the terminal again did I realise the Chrome Remote Desktop was the culprit.

The machine has been humming away nicely and Portainer/Glances tells me what is loaded and running.

It’s time now to get back to the basics of making Hassio do some work around the house.
I know it sounds quite complicated in comparison to a Raspberry Pi with an SD card but the new system has so many ways to monitor, investigate, repair or recover Hassio quickly when needed.

cheers
RAWB

Thanks for the post. Getting HA to run on a NUC is my winter project. Are there any problems that I should anticipate?

I had to use the minimal desktop version of Ubuntu 18.04 as the server install instructions assumed it had ethernet connected.
The upside was it had a GUI for me to look at if anything went wrong.

RAWB