Wouldn’t a ESPhome/ESP32 Development Kit be a good idea?

I bought one of these and have mostly worked through it with my eldest son. We had a great time.

Wouldn’t it be fun if something similar was available for ESPhome and ESP32?

There is nothing special about ESPHome and ESP modules.

any ESP32/ESP8266 starter kit will work fine with ESPHome.

1 Like

Buy any ESP board and reuse the kit you have.

Be aware if you buy an Arduino starter kit for use with ESPs it may contain some 5V sensors that will require 3.3V level converters.

2 Likes

@finity @tom_l Yeah of course, most would of course be reusable, but there are a few differences. ESPhome got its own configurations and those are not used with that kit. And ESPhome is as the name indicates custom made for home appliances. A lot that is included in a standard beginners kit are more fundamental stuff, robots and stuff like that which not immidiatly is applicable.

Actually I think esphome would be great for robotics.

Yes an esp32 starter kit would be interesting, but surely there are such things available.

1 Like

This MakePython ESP32 Starter Kit / Develop Kit | Makerfabs plus a link to here https://esphome.io/

1 Like

I was thinking of a ESPHome starter kit as well.

And yes I know you can get everything for cheap by yourself and the links are there, but for beginners such kids can open a whole new world. Like they did for me.

I am still a beginner/intermediate in this topic. Have a few sensors here and there and a display showing data. Currently working on a ESPHome based pc-switch to turn on and off your pc via the front panel connectors.

In general I would be interested in at least looking into creating such a kit. For the sake of learning myself and the general interest how to create such a kit.

Not sure though how the demand would be like and which components should be included.
Esphome supports quite a few components these days.

Any thought on what would be a good fit for such a kit? Like components and mini projects?

2 Likes