WTH can't we Drag&Drop in the Dashboard

Looks like its being developed: https://twitter.com/hass_devs/status/1578367230575722496

9 Likes

An easy way to move cards in and out of containers would be awesome

1 Like

Something like this :slightly_smiling_face:

https://strml.github.io/react-grid-layout/examples/11-no-vertical-compact.html

12 Likes

Begs the question, why on earth ISN’T this already in HA? That example stevenr posted is precisely what I’d expect to find in HA.

2 Likes

2 years ago, nothing happened… really?

lets face it, what users (not admins) of HA see, is the dashboard - and that looks crap and already old. and is even worse to build with.
do something about it HA team… things like this are often the first sign of something going wrong

As I wrote in your issue on github, they’re busy with it because of this WTH topic. So just wait and give them time. This is not something they can implement in 1 month. They have to face everything with the drag/drop device wise. Zack is now working inside the HA team, so guess he is more busy inside the core, then on his own github.

yes thank you.
but it’s simply not possible to use it the way it should.
there are lots of spaces, because arranging one item to the top, arranges another one down without making sense… no option for resizing etc … horrible … feels like 2010

Yeah it’s not the best UX and indeed feels like 2010. They’re busy though.

Maybe you should give the lovelace-layout-card a try from Thomas Loven? You can set a page on your dashboard on the ‘vertical-layout’ for example. This causes the page to render all cards in a vertical line. If you then place a ‘layout-break’ card in between them. The vertical layout will continue in the next row. I’m using that right now so I’ve control on where my cards will go.

1 Like

Voted!

This would be awesome!

Yep, I also consider this kind of essential. I keep putting off making my dashboard look nice as it’s just such a pain in the ass at the moment.

4 Likes

What happened to this movement? How can anyone be against this? HA will never gain ground without the ease of aestheticism.

**Speculation** The reason could in part be because the dev who was originally working on D&D who joined Nabu Casa may have left according to that person’s LinkedIn profile.

1 Like

Who’s that you’re referring to?

This is the no.1 reason I dont wanna use HA
Hate this xxxxing stupid click click moving strategy so much, its like using pc in 2000.

1 Like

While I agree that dashboard implementation could be much better, HA still provides the connectivity and other features you can’t find anywhere else and is that are indispensible for a smart home that refuses to bow down to corporate shills.

1 Like

And the need for this has become a LITTLE less because of the new feature to see the sortnumbers and the possibility to jump them to the desired spot. But for the UX, Drag and Drop still is a must have for creating a simple dashboard.

1 Like

From my perspective, in terms of accessibility, I believe that the ability to number and sort items on desktops is phenomenal. Thank you, outstanding job. In this respect, I don’t see the need for further corrections, improvements, or modifications.

I have to agree the numbering system while decent for mobile is terrible on desktop. I wish had more freedom on layouts using drag and drop and adding to groups/stacks without needing a card to do so.

2 Likes

since 2022 people asking this feature lets see if they do it in 2024. It is just impossible manually to arrange properly as it automatically arrange to a non grid way…

And it is certainly possible. Here we can see an implementation that brings drag&drop and re-arranging features to the dashboard. It is not perfect and you cannot show anything you want exactly as you want but it’s a start.

The problem is, that if the core team, would go with something like this, all those frontent integrations would need to be re-written.