Xiaomi Mijia Smart Multi-Mode Gateway (ZNDMWG03LM) support

Honestly folks, do yourself a favour and buy a conbee 2 zigbee stick from Desden Electronik or even a supported zigbee device on zigbee2mqtt and do away with the hassle of the myriad of the different versions of these devices, plus the other options support more than just xiaomi zigbee devices

3 Likes

I am also interested in the original topic’s question. But also to reply to Adrian. While Conbee 2 is indeed very correct suggestion I am dubious as to what it entails setting it up. I mean it does need a Raspberry Pi running HA, in order to have the deCONZ integration.

So say I have 2 places in my house that I need a Zigbee GW and a separate third place where my main HA instance runs. That is a total of 3 Raspberry Pi(s) running deCONZ (somehow) or am I wrong? That’s a lot of expenses (Rpi , Memory card , power cords, networking cables - if desired) , not to mention the mess in cable management.

The Xiaomi gateway is plug and play and this particular gateway is also MU-MIMO according to its specifications.

2 Likes

You can run Deconz & Hass on the same RPi.
The Zigbee devices will create their own mesh network so you don’t need separate gateways to create beter coverage.

As stated by @mitchztm you can run it on the same device as HASS.
One other difference is that conbee2 can support up to 200 devices where as the Xiaomi gateways unless they have changed with this version only support 30 per gateway (i had 2 for that very reason)

Adding things like lights and mains powered zigbee devices can build the larger zigbee mesh so in most cases a second gateway is not required

You can buy Zigbee repeater also, but… please, don’t off so much in this topic!

Hello everyone!
I have juste received the hub and I can’t find any Dev mode in settings. I was also looking for a HA compatibility, but I guess it’s not…

Hi.
In fact, it can be integrated. Because the new gateway supports Apple HomeKit, it can be solved using that integration.

Read this (hungarian) article:

1 Like

Oh great!
I will try this workaround, thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

This is strange, but I can not follow the specified link. Does everyone have a problem with this, or just me?

Hello, I checked but no found error.
Pls visit diysmarthome.hu and click article in right side :wink:

Here is the english version of the article:

2 Likes

I recently set up the multimode gateway in the Mi home app, and connected a couple of devices to this gateway. When I later opened up my Hassio, it automatically found a new integration (Homekit accessories: Mi smart home hub-8332). To install this integration in Hassio, I had to enter the HomeKit code as given on the box that the gateway came in. After doing this, the devices (movement sensors) connected to the multimode gateway shows in my Hassio. I also have lots of other Xiaomi devices connected via an older gateway (also showing in Hassio).

6 Likes

This is just some kind of mysticism!
When I try to follow the link https://diysmarthome.hu/en/news/xiaomi-mijia-multimode-gateway-review-and-home-assistant-integration/ directly to the article, a new window opens, at the bottom of which in the help area I see the web address of the page, but then a redirect to the Google homepage occurs. Trying to just go to https://diysmarthome.hu/ leads to a similar result.

I get similar results:

1. when entering links in the address bar manually
  2. when using Safari and Chrome
  3. when using a VPN

In a word, I do not have the opportunity to read the article. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? And yes, I’m from Russia.

1 Like

Wow! Can you post some screenshots?

First of all, this is a totally new direction under the Xiaomi smart home ecosystem, as under the hood of the new look are some redesign functions, but the well-known quality. It can make “noises”, but the online radio (and the speaker, there is a buzzer inside this model, which is enough for the Guard function and the status responses) is removed from the features and the built-in night light, too. The internal power supply is “outsourced” for an external version of standard USB adaptor with 5V 1A, so there is no need of (sometimes dangerous) adaptors, we can use any USB power supply. That makes it easy to fit in.
But let’s focus on the changes under the hood. The new gateway proudly announces that it has arrived with certified ZigBee 3, Bluetooth 5.0 and (of course) 2.4Ghz Wifi. Thanks to these protocols it is easy to make the automation of the existing Zigbee és Bluetooth devices, and in the case of Bluetooth, the Mesh network is also supported. The Zigbee 3 is compatible downward, the new gateway is supporting most of the previous devices with one difference: the Door lock, Thermostat, and VRF Air conditioning controller is out (it is not easy to get them neither from China), but the Aqara Shade controller, the Wireless Scene Switch product family and three different Ceiling Light is supported (The previously implemented support of the IKEA bulbs is still there.). Additionally, all the Bluetooth devices, and the only new ZigBee 3 device (which was announced together with the new gateway) a Mijia Light sensor.
The installation is really easy, just open the Xiaomi Home app, select the usual region Mainland(China) and the gateway will be on the list of near devices. It takes only a few minutes and after we accept the End User Agreement, a firmware upgrade will start. The main page reserved for the Guard function with 4 different modes: we are able to fine-tune the alarm, select the devices which take a part in the Guard function as a sensor and which level of alarm should activate in which scenario. We are able to exclude some zones from the surveillance (e.g. we are sleeping on the first floor and the ground floor is armed.) If the alarm has triggered, the device sounds the audio signal, sends an alert notification to the mobile device and logs the event so it can be checked later. Under the Guard functions are the connected devices, which can be selected from more-or-less 50 different models at the time of this post published. Most of them are at the market for a long time, so I don’t want to describe all their functions, but all the devices could use for automation of any other devices.
We are getting the usual functions under the settings: over the finetuning of the previously described Guard levels, we are able to turn off the LED indicator – which has – IMHO – no too much sense, as it is emitting the light really lightly on the top of the device. There is an option to rename the gateway, link to a room, share, protect with a password and set of the timezone (and that one is working really good). To turn on the LAN mode ore get the token is not possible (currently), and the product could not be used in the European servers. (I tested the device with EU ZigBee plug, but I was not able to make it work, so currently, it is not supported).

And now the most important new function: The new gateway has and Apple HomeKit certification, which could be good news for everyone, not just the HomeKit users (even it is easier for them). At the bottom of the product, we can find the QR code and the number for the well-known process of HomeKit pairing, which could be scanned or manually typed in the Apple Home application, so after that we are able to reach it from any connected Apple device or controlled by voice commands through Siri.

If we have an installation of Home-Assistant (or OpenHAB etc), then we can realize, that a new device became available under the HomeKit components: the Mi Smart Home Hub. So why not to try integrate it with the HomeKit code of the device? The Home Assistant is supporting the Apple HomeKit devices out of the box, so it supports this gateway too. If we entered the code, the Home Assistant will connect to the device and will discover all the connected subdevices, as usual under Home-Assistant. These devices could be used now with any other, previously installed devices in any automation.

Short summary: We recommend this gateway over the previous version of Mijia gateways if You don’t need the online radio or the night light function. This version supports more and newer protocols, easier to integrate under open-source home management systems and doesn’t need to have a power adaptor.

2 Likes

Many thanks to you! Good luck!

I tried add xiaomi multimode gateway in home assistant over homekit, but i have error message “Device refused to add pairing as it is already pairing with another controller.” When i remove device from xiaomi mi app, device lost IP address. How add multimode GW to home assistant?
thank you

1 Like

Here are some screenshots (from my mobile app).

I also would like to share some immediate experiance with the new gateway and integration in hassio. First of all, hassio did not update new devices added to the gateway after the integration to hassio was done. After integrating the new gateway to hassio (via homekit accessories integration) for the first time, I added some thermometers to the new gateway in the Mi home app. These thermometers was not discovered by hassio (tried to restart hassio but this did not help either). To add these thermometers to hassio, I had to remove the gateway from the Mi home app and re-add it. Hassio then discovered the gateway again (suggesting a new integration - homekit accesories) and after integration again, the thermometers was discovered by hassio as well.

I have successfully added the new light sensor, movement detectors and thermometers (both the sircular and square version) to hassio via the new gateway. All alongside other xiaomi devices added an older gateway.

As for the thermometers there are some peculiar findings in hassio when integrated via the new gateway. For the square versions, the air pressure does not seem to be supported in hassio, although it it supported in the xiaomi home app. And the temperature shown for the square versions are without decimal (e.g. 21 degrees and not 21,4 degrees). For the circular version, the temperature is given in hassio with decimal. The same difference applies for the humidity.

1 Like

As I am a new user, I am only allowed to post one picture in each post. Here is another screenshot.

After adding the new gateway to the Mi home app, my hassio discovered a new integration (“Homekit accessory: Mi Smart Home 8332”). When I clicked on the new integration I was told to enter the homekit code as printed inside the box that the new gateway was packed in. After doing that, the gateway successfully was integrated to hassio. I do not have the homekit app (nor Homekit speakers) and uses android.

To be able to discover new devices connected to the gateway in hassio, I have removed (from the Mi home app) and reintegrated the gateway a few times. Sometimes after readding the gateway to Mi home app, hassio does not alway discover the gateway as a new integration. Sometimes I have to repeat the procedure a few times to succed (and also restart hassio). It sometimes also takes a few minutes for hassio to discover the new integration (gateway). If hassio does not automatically discover the gateway as a new integration, I am not able to add it manually by adding a new homkit accessory integration (hassio only discovers Ikea as a homekit acccesory, no Xiaomi gateway).