YoLink integration

Pull Request is here:.

[home-assistant/core] Pull request opened: #67887 Yolink Integration

3 Likes

We have our “works with Home Assistant” badge ready

5 Likes

Well if you read the pull request you have a long way to go

3 Likes

If anyone is ready to take the YoLink plunge, for the next week I am running a super-secret Friends & Family/New Customer Sale on select SpeakerHub & two sensor starter kits. Take 25% off the kit’s already-great-price when you use code SHKF&F25OFF at check-out.

This is for new customers only. If you are an existing customer, you can purchase this, but they should be registered with a new customer account. So, think about your relatives that might be interested, your coworkers, your friends, your neighbors, your neighbor’s friends, I don’t care. I know some realtors that give out our Hub & four Water Leak Sensor 1 kits to their clients when they take the keys to their new home.

SpeakerHub & (2) Door Sensor Smart Home Starter Kit: SpeakerHub - Plays Sounds and Your Text-to-Speech Custom Messages, Spoken Alerts, LoRa-Powered ¼ Mile Range, WiFi Required — YoLink

SpeakerHub & (2) Motion Sensor Smart Home Starter Kit: SpeakerHub - Plays Sounds and Your Text-to-Speech Custom Messages, Spoken Alerts, LoRa-Powered ¼ Mile Range, WiFi Required — YoLink

SpeakerHub & (2) Temperature Sensor Smart Home Starter Kit:

SpeakerHub & (2) Water Leak Sensor Smart Home Starter Kit: SpeakerHub - Plays Sounds and Your Text-to-Speech Custom Messages, Spoken Alerts, LoRa-Powered ¼ Mile Range, WiFi Required — YoLink

SpeakerHub & (2) Outdoor Motion Sensor (Driveway Alert, etc.) Smart Home Starter Kit: SpeakerHub - Plays Sounds and Your Text-to-Speech Custom Messages, Spoken Alerts, LoRa-Powered ¼ Mile Range, WiFi Required — YoLink

Once a new account is set up, I can invite you to our developer and power user groups on Discord.

Here are a couple promotional videos, to give you some ideas. SpeakerHub has a cameo in each of them.

YoLink Smart Fridge: YoLink Smart Fridge: Upgraded, now with Power Fail Alarm & SpeakerHub - YouTube

YoLink Smart Sump Pump: YoLink LoRA IoT Smart Sump Pump - YouTube

1 Like

Yolink works with Alexa so I did this -
I created a light template

light 16:
  - platform: template
    lights:
      alexa_virtual:
        friendly_name: "Alexa Dummy Light"
        turn_on:

turn_off:

set_level:

Added the light to emulated hue to expose it to Alexa

emulated_hue:
  host_ip: [HA IP]
  listen_port: 80
  expose_by_default: false
  entities:
    light.alexa_virtual:
      name: "Alexa Dummy bulb"
      hidden: false      

Created an Alexa routine that sets the light brightness when a yolink sensor detects motion

Created an automation that triggers based on the brightness

- alias: mail_delivered
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    - platform: numeric_state
      entity_id: light.alexa_virtual
      value_template: '{% if states.light.alexa_virtual.state == "on"  %}{{ states.light.alexa_virtual.attributes.brightness }}{% else %}0{% endif %}'
      above: 100
      below: 255
  action:
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data_template:
      data:
        type: tts
      target:
      - media_player.fire_10
  - service: homeassistant.turn_off
    entity_id: light.alexa_virtual  

I’m using the brightness level as opposed to just on/off or toggle because I can then use this setup for multiple automations and multiple sensors by having Alexa set a different brightness for each.
For some reason I couldn’t get it to work by just checking the brightness but it works if I check for state = on first.

I just got it working. It’s all parts from different threads and forums (so props and credit to all who helped and might not even know it :). It works pretty well as a work-around since we’ve been waiting for yolink for a while now and my expectations is we’re still not too close from the looks of the comments in the PR with no update or reply in 12 days.

I’ve seen pieces of this suggested, even in this thread, but I hadn’t been able to find it all put together. I Hope this helps someone. Remember it’s not local at all. I don’t like that so a local direct integration would be much preferred. I’d love any suggestions to improve any of it… I’m still just a hack.

It works for the 2 sensors I have now. I plan on buying a lot more sensors… it’s the next evolution on my smarthome journey over the last 10+ years. Not sure if they’ll be yolink.

3 Likes

A hub with local control is coming this year. there are maybe three designs being considered. I think the one that makes the most sense is a USB dongle with the YoLink/LoRa transceiver on it. I also proposed something like this, powered by a RPi with a LoRa shield. This is just a doodle. It will probably never see the light of day. The dongle is more practical, for both personal and commercial applications.

keypad concept 1

5 Likes

@Eric-YoLink
Just FYI, HA mods are still waiting on your developer to finish the pull-request which looks like a lot. Hasn’t been touched in 16 days by your folks. I almost placed an order when I saw this post but now I’m glad I waited to see if it gets done. Any updates?

8 Likes

Looks like there is a another PR too Add yolink integration with door sensor by matrixd2 · Pull Request #68682 · home-assistant/core · GitHub not sure what the difference is

1 Like

I have been waiting on this integration to move forward with picking up another 6-8 devices. The power of HA and sensor devices is astounding and I like the simplicity and cost of the YoLink devices but the lack of integration is stifling.

5 Likes

I agree. I have been waiting to test the integration before making additional purchases.

Same! Their underlying radio hardware is absolutely incredible. Can’t wait till their interoperability stuff matches the great value of the hardware.

2 Likes

Just for fun, I tried running their integration via custom_components. Looks like their api oauth endpoint just times out, after using the code from the latest pull request, and figuring out what to put in configuration.yaml. Not looking good IMO

1 Like

I don’t know what is standard practice for HA, but seems like this sort of integration would be better served living in HACS for a while vs going directly into core.

Users could get benefits sooner and work out the bugs while at the same time tuning the code to meet HA core standards.

7 Likes

So to be clear, neither of the two current hubs will ever support local control? This is a big bummer, as I was about ready to start a new build and go with as much LoRA (vs Zigbee / Z-Wave) as possible, but without local control on the roadmap for the current hubs, that’s a non-starter.

1 Like

Agree…. I was hoping for local control using current hardware. By current hardware, I mean, the YoLink hub I already have….

1 Like

You must have a LoRa receiver/transmitter, and Eric already said YoLink is working on a LoRa dongle that could enable local control. Without a dongle, you can not communicate with the LoRa hardware.

An integration of the hub is a temporary solution but could still work as long as the PR can be answered.

Very interested in this thread and its eventual integration. I’ve been looking for simple pool water monitor and pool gate open/close sensor and came across YoLink as an option. I’ll certainly be buying these devices and a hub once the integration is out! Add yolink integration with door sensor by matrixd2 · Pull Request #68682 · home-assistant/core · GitHub GO PULL REQUEST GO!

The integration could be a good idea as long as you dont mind to be exposed to the cloud, and very many seems to have no problem with it

I was one of the (lucky?) ones to get an API key for MQTT access…. Implemented it in Node Red and still going strong today.

Don’t give up hope on these guys yet… the LoRa radios give Zigbee and Zwave a run for their money… the only sensor I’ve had issues with is the temp sensor in my deep freezer with poor battery life. No big.

Well that problem everyone has. Its physics, not a sensor problem⛄