Z-wave and Zigbee struggle together (boot)

Hi everyone!

Yes, I am a newbie and probably not the first to struggle with a couple of things. Hoping someone can put me in right direction regarding few things:

I wanted to try out Hass.io on pi4 to get rid of my old Telldus 433Mhz and Z-wave hub.
After a few weeks now I have to confess I am not to impressed…

1. Installing Hassio went smooth except for Wifi on the pi4. I updated to latest version.

2. Adding Aeotec II Gen5 Z-stick was a pain until I found about the workaround with a USB 2.0 hub.
    However, I wanted to use the UI within Hassio to begin with. I discovered all of the docs and DIY I found on Youtube and forums were kind of old and not very helpful.

I installed using the integration (which doesn’t use the config.yaml but a separate Z-wave config).
Z-wave was working fine using /dev/ttyACM0 which I found in Hardware-tab.
Adding devices worked like a charm.

1. Adding ConBee II using deCONZ also fine until reboot. The device is configured with /dev/ttyACM1, don’t understand if there should be a conflict there. Still I need to unplug the ConBee to get Z-wave to start service and then manually put ConBee back into its port and start the service.
    Am I doing this the wrong way? Examples in config.yaml doesn’t seem to help… If I change (add in) config.yaml z-wave won’t work.

Today I added three more Z-wave devices (fibaro dimmer 2 and switch). Works fine, but looks like Hassio/Lovelace is showing same device several times? Show in pairs with the same node ID. Any cache I can clear? The built-in Z-wave integration-tool seems fine, only one device there instead of the ones in pairs automatically showing as switches in Lovelace.

So…I am finding myself in a spot where I feel Hassio on this pi4 isn’t the way to go…
Any ideas? Wait for updates for pi4, Hassio in the future? Or try installing fresh on a cheap Intel NUC?
I feel it doesn’t help that OS in norwegian instead of English, can’t find setting for that?

I know, a lot to discuss, but I really appreciate if any of my issues here can be adresssed :slight_smile:

Regards,
Henrik

In Linux you cannot count on ttyUSB and ttyACM devices to always load in the same order. My guess is that when you add the Conbee it becomes ttyACM1 but after a boot it comes up as ttyACM0 and your Aeotec becomes ttyACM1. It will probably be like this 99 % of the time but they can swap around.

Hi, i use same set up just in VM, all works. Both z-wave i instaled thru configuration.yaml, ui dindn’t worked for me with z-wave. Later just used z-wave integration thru UI, you will get couple items with every device in lovelace intill you’ll start configure it. After that you will find them in devices list and developer tools-> states .

Thank you, that might explain my headache.

pi4 and hassio running in a VM? You mean like Ubuntu or any other OS that runs Hassio virtually?

About Lovelace; do you mean when I choose to “filter” what I see in Lovelace? Nodes look the same With same ID but choose the one that’s working?

I’m running it on VM in mint, but it just the same as run in pi, can’t see a lot of diference on settings. In lovelace you chose which items you want to see and whrere , just check some videos on youtube with tutorial about lovelace then you’ll get a clue. And after you’ll start editing it, items will not pop up automaticly in lovelace you will need to add them

Thank you, seems like you confirmed my suspicion. If I’m not mistaken that means it’s ok when I see two instances for same device? This only applies to z-wave, I see the same node ID twice on a dimmer. I can choose to filter away (not use) the one when configure apperance in Lovelace… Just weird or maybe this happens because the dimmer has option of two switches and then appear as two instances?

Thank you anyways, I’ll keep up Learning!

Sorry, I must ask: Is there a workaround? Most common use of Home Assistant must be on some distr of Linux and same happen to everyone?

One of those dimmer instance is useless just one is working. Try to edit lovelace at once so you’ll not get to many devices/sensors on UI.

@henriksen

First you need to confirm if my assumption is correct.

To do that the best is to make sure you have an addon installed so you can ssh to a command prompt of the running HA

Boot up your HA machine with BOTH USB dongles connected

Login with SSH and change directory to /dev/serial/by-id
Now do a ls -al
This list the directory and you should see the two serial devices with a rather long name and they are symbolic links that point back to /dev/ttyACM0 or 1.

You can use this long path /dev/serial/by-id/something for the device name for Z-wave instead of the /dev/ttyACM?

For the deconz setting you can try the long path name but it may not work. If it works you are lucky. If not use the short /dev/ttyACM0 or 1 that the long Conbee name points to.

If you boot 10 times in a row you will see that one normally wakes up before the other. But you can experience that it does not work and then just boot again.

If you have the Conbee II directly in the Rasberry Pi 4 and the Aeotec via a USB hub it is very likely that the Conbee becomes ttyACM0 because it gets discovered first. And then the USB hub gets discovered and after that the Aeotec. If you boot the Rasberry with only the Aeotec then it always become ttyACM0.

The reason you need a USB hub for the Aeotec is because the Aeotec has been designed with a flaw that only manifest itself with specific USB controllers. And the new Raspberry Pi 4 has one of the USB controllers that Aeotec does not work with. As long as you know we can live with having a USB hub.

1 Like

Thank you for guiding me in the right direction!

Short; I removed Z-wave from integration (since you can’t change /dev/tty unless in .Storage?)
Changed ZigBee /tty to the long ID. And yes, it is discovered first.
Added Z-wave integration With the long ID as well and rebootet several times. Everything seems fine!

Guess I don’t have to struggle again with this.