Z wave help needed

I need help with z wave. I have an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5. It shows up in Home Assistant just fine and seems to work. When I take it out and pair to a z wave device it pairs fine. The device acknowledges with a beep, and the blue light on the Aeotec goes solid blue like it is supposed to. But when I reinsert it into the Raspberry Pi, no new device gets added. I have my Home Assistant set up as a Supervised installation (I think in a docker container??) I think I have something not set up correctly. I also have a Nortek HUSBZB-1 and the z wave on it will not work either - although the zigbee portion of it does work perfectly. So I feel like I have missed something in the setup. Please help.

Thanks,
Mike

I’d start off by looking at /config/OZW_Log.txt for clues.

Follow the instructions in the official documentation on how to add devices to the Z-Wave network

There’s a big warning to not add devices by pressing the physical button on the stick.

Why do you have two Z-Wave sticks?

I have looked at the OZW_log.txt. I cannot see anything that is of any help to me.

I have two Z-Wave sticks because I tried for several weeks to get the Nortek working and gave up. I can get it to work fine on zigbee but not on z-wave. So I decided to try another stick.But the Aeotec only does z wave and I also need zigbee. If I could get the Nortek HUSBZB-1 to work I would get rid of the Aeotec.

I have followed the instructions in the reference you listed using the Nortek. I had the same results - the controller showed up just fine, nothing got added when I tried to pair with other devices.

But you didn’t follow the instructions with the Aeotec stick. Don’t detach the stick to add new devices.

I just tried adding by following the directions with the Aeotec device. First I did a factory reset on the device.It responded as specified in the manual. I also did a factory reset on the z wave device (which is a Go Control Garage Door Opener). It responded as specified with a short beep and then a long one which signifies it has been factory reset.

Then I went to the Z Wave control panel in Home Assistant and selected Add Node. I then pushed the paring button on the device. It beeped to signify it was pairing. After a minute or so, it gave a long beep meaning it failed to pair. Here is the last few lines form my OZW_log.txt file:

2020-05-08 14:26:29.064 Info, Add Device
2020-05-08 14:26:29.064 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) ControllerCommand_AddDevice: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x4a, 0xc1, 0x0e, 0x7f
2020-05-08 14:26:29.071 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Starting
2020-05-08 14:26:29.084 Detail,
2020-05-08 14:26:29.090 Info, contrlr, Sending (Command) message (Callback ID=0x0e, Expected Reply=0x4a) - ControllerCommand_AddDevice: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x4a, 0xc1, 0x0e, 0x7f
2020-05-08 14:26:30.091 Error, contrlr, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)
2020-05-08 14:26:30.092 Detail, contrlr, Removing current message
2020-05-08 14:26:30.092 Detail, contrlr, Notification: Notification - TimeOut
2020-05-08 14:26:30.099 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Error - Failed

1 Like

I would ignore the instructions that come with the Aeotec device. Only follow the homeassistant documentation. For good measure I would follow the unpairing instructions from the aeotec device first then follow the instructions on the link above. (it sounds like you have done this)

Personal Experience Note: if you have a switch/receptacle or other device that cannot be moved, you will need to move your antenna will need to be in direct range of that device. This may require you to relocate your PC during the pairing process or bring the battery powered z-wave device to the antenna.

1 Like