Z wave Hub

Hello, I hope that your are all well. I was wondering if any of you know of a standalone Z Wave hub that works with HA. I have been running HA on a Windows Hyper-V session so I cant get direct control of any USB devices. I use a Sonoff bridge running Tasmota for my Zigbee connectivity and was wondering if there is anything comparable for Z Wave

Run the zwavejs server on a standalone Pi on your subnet, with a USB zwave stick. Then have your HA system access the zwavejs websocket over the network.

1 Like

You can also look into getting a Hubitat hub and integrate it with mqtt

1 Like

Thanks HeyImAlex, That sounds like a great solution. I have a few spare R-Pies laying around that aren’t in use.

Thanks mwav3, Very interesting solution. I’ll have to do some research on this.

If you already have an rpi the solution from @HeyImAlex will be much cheaper. Then you just need to purchase a zstick.

Id run zwavejs2mqtt in docker on the rpi and then just connect to its websocket with the zwavejs integration by ws://ipOfRpi:3000

More setup instructions here

https://zwave-js.github.io/zwavejs2mqtt/#/

1 Like

How can zwavejs2mqqt be used the way its name implies. A nice thin layer between zwave and MQQT.

Meaning NOT with HA, NOT using websocket, and NOT using its built in web interface. Out of box MQQT broker gets all the state information about the zwave network. And the networks state is update when the web interface is used.

What is the process for an independent MQQT client to publish a request for example for a plug sensor to turn on?

HA is coded to do this directly through MQQT if HomeAssitant/ main topic if enabled. Seems heavy for a simple MQQT client.

Based on the posts I have read, user HeyImAlex implies his setup is done this way.

I see in the logs that zwavejs2mqqt does subscribe to e.g. a topic such /zwave/+/+/+/+/set and some variants thereof. However don’t see any other info.

Thanks

(this might belong as its own topic but seems related to this thread)

1 Like

Finally found a solution. Enabled the Home Assistant → MQQT Discovery

Then looking in JSON payload found the schema that was being expected:
e.g.

{"command_topic":"zwave/nodeID_8/switch_multilevel/endpoint_0/targetValue/set",....

Then using a tool such as MQQT Explorer, publish a message to this topic such as {“value”:99} which causes the dimmer to go full on. This matches the MQQT filter zwave/+/+/+/+/+/set.

No need to leave Home Assistant topics enabled once knowing the basic schema that is expected.

1 Like