ZHA - Conbee II failed to set up

Hello everyone,
I’m a silent member of this community and enjoy the use of Home Assistant since the initial releases… most of the issue I had in the last 4-5 years gets resolved reading this forum or GitHub documentation… but this time I’m running our of ideas:

Installation type: Supervised Home Assistant 2022.10.2
Running on Proxmox virtual machine

My Conbee II was working just fine, handling approximately 12 devices over the last couple of years. last week I disconnected it from my mini PC to connect an external hard drive… since then, I wasn’t able to resume the Zigbee network.

I tried to upgrade the ConBee II firmware
use extension cable
plug into any available ports
reset the network setting

Nothing… Proxmox properly sees the dongle, Home Assistant discover the device, and the integration wizard start… but I keep getting this error log below.
Any ideas is more than welcome!!

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: components/zha/core/gateway.py:172
First occurred: 10:26:20 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:26:20 AM

Error setting up entry ConBee II, s/n: DE2121751 - dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik GmbH for zha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 365, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 112, in async_setup_entry
    await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 185, in async_initialize
    raise exc
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 172, in async_initialize
    self.application_controller = await app_controller_cls.new(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 144, in new
    await app.startup(auto_form=auto_form)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 125, in startup
    await self.initialize(auto_form=auto_form)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 110, in initialize
    await self.permit(0)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 932, in permit
    await zigpy.zdo.broadcast(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 516, in broadcast
    return await app.broadcast(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 747, in broadcast
    await self.send_packet(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/zigbee/application.py", line 419, in send_packet
    raise zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError(
zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Failed to deliver packet: <TXStatus.MAC_CHANNEL_ACCESS_FAILURE: 225>

Might be an upstream-issue, zigpy_deconz is a dependency of HA…did anything about your wifi maybe change at the same time? See [BUG] Zigbee devices stopped working after HA update · Issue #1885 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub for one reason why you might get this error.

-Volker

Thank you Volker for your quick response.
I’ve checked on my fritz box and wifi channel are still the same, channel 1 for 2.4Ghz and channel 44 for the 5Gh network.
i also tried to install the Deconz add-on plus integration… but nothing seems to be working.

I still hope for any other thought before looking for another Zigbee antenna (suggestion are welcome)

Hi @lelepando, i also have the problem now. did you find a solution? its strange it was working fine about 18 hours ago.

Hi, funny. I have the exact same problem since only a couple of days ago. I also migrated from an SD card to USB SSD drive. After that I get the same error.

Same problem here. Unreliable or not working since the newest update.

@mickeljunge I ended up replacing mine for a Sonoff ZigBee Dongle, but someone on this thread did manage to get it to work ZHA/Conbee 2/deConz Error · Issue #82232 · home-assistant/core · GitHub downgrading the firmware, then restarting HA with out any USB devices in, once booted plug in each USB device that you have one at a time, to me it appears to be an issue with the firmware but the resolution to it has been abandoned.

@StefanHabel I ended up replacing mine for a Sonoff ZigBee Dongle, but someone on this thread did manage to get it to work ZHA/Conbee 2/deConz Error · Issue #82232 · home-assistant/core · GitHub downgrading the firmware, then restarting HA with out any USB devices in, once booted plug in each USB device that you have one at a time, to me it appears to be an issue with the firmware but the resolution to it has been abandoned.

Hi all
I have the same problem with my Conbee Dongle for HA in Rasberry Pi4

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 172, in async_initialize
2022-12-04 11:03:19.900 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry ConBee II for zha
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/__init__.py", line 112, in async_setup_entry
await zha_gateway.async_initialize()
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/gateway.py", line 185, in async_initialize
2022-12-04 11:05:48.640 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
2022-12-04 11:05:51.940 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
2022-12-04 11:05:55.267 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway] Couldn't start deCONZ = dresden elektronik deCONZ protocol: ConBee I/II, RaspBee I/II coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
2022-12-04 11:05:55.270 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error setting up entry ConBee II, s/n: DE2481508 - dresden elektronik ingenieurtechnik GmbH for zha

I have just power off, restart HA, even uninstall and install Zigbee again, BUT it did NOT help.

Unfortunately you have 2 options

1. Downgrade the firmware on your conbee stick (do this at your own risk)
  2. Replace the connbee stick with a ZigBee USB Dongle

Ok I’m jumping in with the same problem.

I was running Conbee 2 with 0x26780700 firmware, using the ZHA integration and it’s been running reliably for a few months now. Did an update on my unRAID box that required a reboot, and it dropped dead. I see the device at /dev/ttyACMO (or ttyACM1 depending on which order I connect my zwave and conbee sticks to the VM)

I have tried detaching an re-attaching multiple times, both physically and virtually. I have downgraded through the past 3 versions of firmware (down to 0x26700700) and tried re-connecting. I get the same failed to connect errors posted above.

I then deleted the ZHA integration, rebooted HA, and tried re-attaching the conbee. HA auto-detected and prompted me to install the Conbee2 device, but then falls flat on it’s face when trying to actually connect to the device.

Tried several times with each of the firmwares now, and no luck. The conbee was at the end of a 16M USB2.0 active extension cable, so I moved it back to where it used to be right at the server’s USB port, and while I can see the device from the command line, I get no change in the errors from HA. Can not connect.

deconz failed to connect

EDIT:
I’ve now also tried moving the ConBee from the USB3.0 PCI Add-on card to the mainboard USB2.0 ports on the server mainboard. no change. I have tried manually tying it to the /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2471363-if00 device path directly, and have also rebooted several times.

Forgot to mention that I also rolled back my HA install to 11.2 at the first sign of trouble. I noticed the problem right after updating to 11.5, but that seems to be unrelated. the logs show the devices were already unavailable with zigbee errors before I did the HA update.

Barring this getting fixed somehow - is the Sonoff Zigbee Stick more reliable? Should I just make the jump? I was using the sonoff bridge for a bit until it stopped working, and now the conbee - I’m kind of starting to think ZigBee is a bit of a joke. My ZWave stuff is rock solid

By me, it works again after plugg-in Conbee Dongle from USB3 to USB2!!!

I just bought a ConBee II and have the same problem. No idea how to fix this.
I’ve tried reseating it physically and virtually. Also tried to change it from usb3 to usb2. Didn’t help.

I’m getting this now too.
Not on my system, but an identical one I’ve been building to deploy at my mum’s house (Pi4, SSD, ConbeeII)

All the devices and add-ons are installed and the groundwork done, so I only power it on now and again to do HACS and HA software updates.

Today - ZHA “Failed to set up”

Got it working again.

Shutdown Pi4
Remove ConbeeII

Start Pi4
Delete Zigbee Integration
Shutdown Pi4

Attach ConbeeII
Start Pi4
Got the “new device found” prompt.

Kept the previous config and all devices show up again without having to manually re-add

2 Likes

callumw’s solution worked for me. I had to set up the devices again, but a small price to pay; fortunately, I don’t have many.

I had the same issue.

Moved the Conbee 2 USB stick from a USB3 port to USB2 and it worked right away.

thanks. I will try that also

In my case, i had the conbee stick too close to my router. By moving it, it solved the issue.

What finally fixed this for me was deleting the zigbee.db file and letting all the devices slowly report in and reconnect. But I am now on 2023.3 and it appears to be working well.