ZHA devices becoming unresponsive

I currently have neither installed.
I wouldn’t call myself an expert but as far as I am aware I install the USB and install the Conbee II ZHA integration.

Any other ideas?

I think I found the cause of the problem. Looks like the conbee II is not working correctly. I tried connecting to my personal PC and it seems to keep disconnecting and reconnecting. Ordered a new one. Hopefully the issue is sorted.

To add: it wouldn’t explain how some devices were working though

I am having similar issues but while using the Nortek stick. I have been troubleshooting with multiple people on a few different discord servers and we can not figure it out.

In the logs I get this -

Logger: homeassistant.components.zha.core.channels.base
Source: components/zha/core/channels/base.py:428
Integration: Zigbee Home Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: October 15, 2021, 9:15:27 AM (36 occurrences)
Last logged: October 17, 2021, 12:23:47 PM

[0x45F5:1:0x0702]: async_initialize: all attempts have failed: [DeliveryError('[0x45f5:1:0x0702]: Message send failure'), DeliveryError('[0x45f5:1:0x0702]: Message send failure'), DeliveryError('[0x45f5:1:0x0702]: Message send failure'), DeliveryError('[0x45f5:1:0x0702]: Message send failure')]
[0x2A6D:1:0xfc02]: 'async_configure' stage failed: 'ConfigureReportingResponse' object has no attribute 'status'
[0x2A6D:1:0x000f]: 'async_configure' stage failed: 'ConfigureReportingResponse' object has no attribute 'status'
[0x2A6D:1:0x0001]: 'async_configure' stage failed: 'ConfigureReportingResponse' object has no attribute 'status'
[0x2A6D:1:0x0402]: 'async_configure' stage failed: 'ConfigureReportingResponse' object has no attribute 'status'

My whole system in general has gotten worse - won’t even load supervisor logs. I have tried everything and I’m at the point of wiping it all and starting over fresh.

Hope it will work for you with a new Conbee II.

I did see similar tings after the firmware upgrade, like working sometimes and with some devices. I needed to reinstall the HA totally, seemed like Decons SW did not disapeer on uninstall.

And just like that it came back…

MotionDroppingOutv1

There are people (including me) that are having the same issues with zigbee, with different devices, since ~2021.10 version of HA.
See https://community.home-assistant.io/t/error-setting-up-hubz-smart-home-controller
or https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zigbee-is-not-longer-working

I’m surprised though that there aren’t more people writing about the problem.

1 Like

What is really interesting is a range of issues have been reported since people updated their HA past core-2021.9.7 which appears to manifest in memory leaks, and could also affect other areas such as ZHA. I will add some links below.

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/57459

1 Like

Following closely, I plan to upgrade to 10.x as soon as I get the time. Lots of time, from all the problems I’m reading about!

I do want to point out one thing I’ve read (but not personally experienced.) Zigbee apparently uses the same spectrum as WiFi. It’s possible that your router (or your neighbor’s) is using one of the channels that overlaps the channel your Zigbee network is using. The channel numbers are not the same in the two systems, but it’s pretty well documented where the overlap occurs.

I know when the power goes out in my neighborhood, all the routers can pick different channels and it can create interference which wasn’t there before. I hope what your seeing is something like that, and not a flaw in 10.x. I’m still on 7.4 because of a bug 8.0 introduced which is finally (supposedly) fixed.

Is it me or is HA becoming very unstable lately? Every release seems to kill some key functionality, and there seems to be more interest in pushing ahead with the next big change than fixing - or even properly documenting - the bugs the last one introduced.

I’ve just downgraded to 2021.09.05 and everything work again, so at least for me it’s not the wifi. But judging from all the people having problems after upgrading, I’m pretty sure there’s a serious issue with HA

2 Likes

Same problem… I took HA updates and zha things became unstable. Some lights may lose pairing frequently. They were OK for about a year! So, I thought that maybe it was time to update the conbee II firmware. So, I did apply the latest version using the windows computer. Plugged it in the raspberry and many new problems appeared. For example, the home thermostat was offline today, but the lights stayed paired… very strange! I restarted HA and now thermostat is Ok but some smart switches are not showing online.

The new conbee II that I ordered is now having the same issues as my first.
It seems that updating the Conbee in the in the Phoscon/Deconz supervisor breaks the Conbee all together.
Following the update in Phoscon, the device again keeps disconnecting from the respective machine. No idea what would be causing this. Maybe the drivers are now corrupt or the device is not booting correctly when connecting to a machine.

It seems I’m having 2 issues here. The main being the issues with HA and ZHA. This is why I ended up trying Deconz in the first place.
The other being Deconz breaking my Conbee II when updating the device. I suspect even if I get round this issue, I am still going to be faced with problems with the ZHA integration.

Based on other issues I am experiencing, I think I will downgrade back to 2021.09.05 or 2021.09.07 as the general consensus appears to be they are the most stable versions. Has taught me a lesson about installing all updates, and I think I will keep my setup a few versions behind.

2 Likes

@gregoinc, I feel your pain. I had the exact same problem with an integration which was broken in version 8.0. I’m still stuck on 7.4, and was hoping it would be fixed in 10.x. Now I have to wait some more!

Tom, You mention Phoscon/Deconz supervisor. Do you have this installed in HA? If yes, then you have the same problem as me. The Deconz supervisor “take control” of the USB port, limiting the ZHA integration to work consistently.

You can try and uninstall Deconz supervisor and see if it works. I did not try this, I decided to go alle the way and reinstalled HA.

After my rebuild and use of a brand new conbee it have been 100% stable for 4 month (no Deconz SW, only ZHA integration). Not a glimps, even when cleaning from time to time removes power form the mains.

I just wanted to jump in and say that this worked for me too. I burned like 8 hours on this. I had the same problem across 3 different Coordinator hardware pieces. I downgraded with

ha core update --version 2021.9.7

I had to repair everything YET AGAIN, but at least this time it seems to work for now

(I am running Home Assistant OS with the official KVM image and USB devices being passed into the VM)

What do you mean by “I had to repair everything again”?
I downgraded too, and while it is much better, I have still problems with ZHA, so I’m not sure anymore of what is my problem.

Hi @m317, I am in the same place… having read a bunch of comments on here there appears to be a number of issues have been introduced after version 2021.9.7. I have been thinking of rolling back, but I am also hearing even that doesn’t solve everything. So what to do? Go forward or back?

I mean re-pair. As in everything was no longer recognized by their pretty name. The Zigbee Routers for example all just said “Jasco 43102” which doesnt tell me where they are or what they are attached to so I had to go through the pairing process all over again because some of them showed up in HA but were “unavailable” until I re-paired them

same issue here. ZHA now working in a very intermittent way…sensors become unavailable / unresponsive - then magically come back.
Setup is: HA working in VM on Synology NAS (official installation), with Conbee2 attached to the NAS.
Everything was working properly until I upgraded to 10.6. Version 10 was unusable for ZHA. I downgraded to 9.7 - much better but definitely not as before, as I keep getting the unresponsive issue.

I’m surprised that there’s no noise around this and no fixes… according to what I’ve seen, the commonalities on the issues across different users are:

• HA running in a VM, with Conbee attached
  • presence of an IKEA repeater in the network

Not sure if this can help to find the solution…

Tks
teo

Unfortunately I have made the decision to return to Smartthings for the time being.
I cant be playing ‘IT support’ for my house every time there is an update to HA.

This is by no means is a bash on the HA platform. I still intend to run HA with a ST integration as the HA functionality and community is great. I just think the updates need a little more TLC before being released to the community.

But I’ve never had any issues with Zigbee on ST. The No 1. priority for my smart home is reliability. I don’t want to come back from a two week holiday and find out that every light, TV, thermostat etc has been left on.

I also agree that I’m surprised there isn’t more noise around these issues.