Zigbee/Z-Wave Daughter Board/HAT for Raspberry Pi

Hi there,

First time posting here but somewhat of a longtime follower of the HA project. After reviewing the latest blog posts and advancements of the HA with native support for the Zigbee protocol, I am excited to finally ditch my Hue Bridge along with Samsung ST hub and consolidate those functions into my Rpi HA build. My question is that if anyone knows of a project to create a daughter board/HAT for the Raspberry Pi that has both the Z-Wave chip along with Zigbee radio on one board. It seems logical at this point for one to exist for the Rpi given HA recent advancements in now covering both protocols.

Thanks!

Not a hat, but this will let you do zwave and zigbee.

1 Like

Looks great that, but it’s country dependant, I know it won’t work in my country (UK) - Not sure where the OP is located though.

From what I’ve seen and maybe I am wrong but I think I’ve seen advancements on Z-Wave boards where one could adjust the frequency or band of the radio to be compliant for whatever country you are in but I maybe wrong.

I saw that and might just go that route for the time being until something like I thought of above takes place. I think it would be a neat idea for the peeps at HA to incorporate as a reference kit to get started with HA and also get a little profitable funding for the HA project.

Not sure how different frequincies would work as it would require multiple antennas, one for each band.

I’m also hoping for a GPIO based board. Not really a fan of USB on the Pi.

Messing around with 433mhz stuff at the moment, not sure whether to use it on a ESP8266 or the Pi GPIO.

Currently testing it on an Arduino.

To answer a previous, I am based in the United States of Idiocracy. Yeah, I am not a fan of USB sticks in this design on the Pi and I see on Amazon GPIO HATs for both Z-Wave and Zigbee, just not together on one board unfortunately. Honestly, another cool thing I saw, that might be a interesting steal from Element14’s upcoming PC kit, where they incorporated a mSATA port but instead have a flash NAND for HASS.io to directly boot from there instead of USB stick or MicroSD. Then maybe marketed different country compliant boards depending on where you live.