Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

I put in a github issue asking if the polling frequency or reporting frequency can be increased.

Is it possible to add new devices using the addon only? (https://github.com/danielwelch/hassio-zigbee2mqtt)

A few of us here use this method. Have a read through the github readme, all you need to know is there.

Either im blind or cant read - can you show me where please?

p.s. I am not talking about pairing. I am talking about adding new devices to devices.js (or whatever it was called in non-addon method of install)

Ahh, I thought you meant pairing.

Adding new devices needs to be raised with the zigbee2mqtt git. The addon simply builds from code from the original git.

You can try raise an issue through the git, hopefully someone can help you out there.

Thanks @scottdarby The two devices arrived well packaged and have been pressed into immediate service. Thanks again.

+1 thanks to @scottdarby - star

Thanks heaps for this project, youā€™re a legend! (and Andrew Linden too).
The stick is dirt cheap and the software is great.

Received the stick today, firmware programming was super easy following the instructions. Paired an Aqara door sensor without any issues, hass picked it up straight away! It is even better than native xiaomi gateway integration (requires hass reboot) and that one is pretty good.
Mija switch (the round one) gave me some hard time even with the hint from the instructions but i figured that if i just keep pressing the reset button for like 30 sec after it turns on it will pair OK; then i paired a mija motion sensor doing so on the first attempt.
In terms of the zigbee range the USB stick seems to be much better than xiaomi gateway. I had ongoing issues in one of the rooms where i have a motion sensor and a zigbee socket, the room is behind a couple of walls on 2nd floor though it was just ~5m away on a direct line from the gateway. It looks more stable with USB stick so far, and faster too.
Then i also tried a door sensor on my front gate which is about 20m away from the stick through a few brick walls and also got a good result; thatā€™s pretty good and i didnā€™t expect it to reach that far!

Now will monitor this small setup for a while and if all OK will move the rest of xiami devices to the stick and will only use xiaomi gateways as speakers for the alarm system and night light.
I have upwards of 30 devices, mostly xiaomi sensors, buttons(switches) and sockets, and a few other devices such as broadlink TC2 and orvibo. As Xiaomi sensors and switches (for some reason virtually no other company makes buttons!?) are the core of my setup, having this USB stick option is really helpful. Xiaomi recently pissed me off quite a bit by blocking the ios app and even though i did manage to get it to work again the app it horribly slow and unreliable. The only drawback is that there is no option to upgrade sensorā€™s firmware through the stick but thatā€™d be pretty hard iā€™d imagine.

I didnā€™t see the Philips Hut Tap switches (the ones with three buttons) among supported devices, unfortunately. I think those would be a bit better than xiaomi switches in terms of the easiness of use, is it possible to add them at all? I suspect it might be using some non-standard pairing bypassing the bridge.

2 Likes

I have a xiaomi zigbee power plug which i have just moved from xiaomi gateway to the USB stick. it is all connected to hass (raspbian build).
Now with the plug working via zigbee2mqtt, when i switch the plug off the meter switches to zero instantly. When i turn it on it takes about 7-10 seconds for the meter to start showing usage. I have a LED strip which only consumes about 6 Wt on this plug so canā€™t tell if it will take more time if there was more load.
ps. iā€™m using CC2531ZNP-Prod.hex if it makes any difference

1 Like

Iā€™m using the hassio zigbee2mqtt addon and my PR for supporting a new device to the zigbee-shepherd-converters repo just got merged. Now I logically want to use my new device but after reinstalling the addon it still says it is not supported. Do I have to wait until the next versioned release of the addon or am I just doing something wrong?
Thanks for you help!

Hi everyone,

I have the feeling that this post could belong somewhere else, but it also has lots to do with what has been discussed here. Please kindly help me place it in the most suitable place.

Weā€™ve recently bought a new home for our family. I know that the wall switches are branded bticino (Legrand). I logically would like to keep the original switches because the WAF would not support me otherwise. Iā€™ve come across this information: https://bticino.assetbank-server.com/bticino/assetfile/52958.pdf and it looks like bticino does use zigbee and standard in place.

Iā€™ve seen they offer a sort of a gateway that I would ideally avoid as much as possible if it is not needed with HA. Iā€™m about to receive the dongle (thanks Scott!!) and I donā€™t know what the best course of action would be in this particular case, as this products are not in the compatibility list for this add-on.

Could somebody please kindly advice?

Many thanks everyone and congrats on this awesome project!! :slight_smile:

Gou can use edge and should see support or wait for next stable

This looks fantastic. Going to get one setup!

Is anyone doing anything similar for zwave?

Is it possible to move data folder to some other location and not in /opt/zigbee2mqtt? It would be great if i could use configuration.yaml to specify location of data folder.

It should already be possible. See https://github.com/danielwelch/hassio-zigbee2mqtt#configuration as it has data_path

Iā€™m not using hassio.

Iā€™m sorry for being such a noob about all of this, but I keep getting the ā€œERROR Not connected to MQTT server!ā€.

Iā€™m using a raspberry pi 3b+ with hass.io installed. Iā€™ve got the stick up and running, but Iā€™m not sure how to configure everything else.

Iā€™m not exactly sure how to start the default MQTT server in HA and then connect to it. Iā€™ve added mqtt: to the configuration.yaml, but Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m supposed to put in the zigbee2mqtt config.yaml.

So far Iā€™ve got the following:

{
  "data_path": "/share/zigbee2mqtt",
  "homeassistant": true,
  "permit_join": true,
  "mqtt_base_topic": "zigbee2mqtt",
  "mqtt_server": "mqtt://localhost:1883",
  "serial_port": "/dev/ttyACM0",
  "mqtt_user": "homeassistant",
  "mqtt_pass": "password"
}

But it keeps erasing my password, and gives me errors when connecting to the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
Nevermind, it seems that it was the password causing the problem. I got rid of the api_password in configuration and it seems to work now.

If you are exposing your HA to the outside world, aka the internet, you should use the api_password!

Hi there @Koenkk,

is it possible to update the firmware of the devices managed through this project? before asking this, I reviewed this long thread a great deal, but couldnā€™t find an answer to this.

If it is not supported, are you planning to add support for this in the future? what is the current way of doing so: detach them from zigbee2mqtt configuration, pair them with their original hub, upgrade them, and re-pair them again?

Thanks