Zigbee2MQTT Stops at random times

Over the last few days my Zigbee2MQTT docker container has stopped at random times.
I can go in and restart it with no problem, but I would like to see what has changed from a very stable usage for a long time to my current problems.

This is the error message in the log when it stops.
Any help searching for a solution would be most appreciated.

error 2023-12-19 17:40:24: Adapter disconnected, stopping
info  2023-12-19 17:40:24: MQTT publish: topic 'zigbee2mqtt/bridge/state', payload 'offline'
info  2023-12-19 17:40:24: Disconnecting from MQTT server
info  2023-12-19 17:40:24: Stopping zigbee-herdsman...
error 2023-12-19 17:40:24: Failed to stop Zigbee2MQTT

Cabling issue?

Are you using a Container or HAOS installation (or [shudder] Supervised)?

Seems like the issue is common.

Of interest, it looks like the latest update brought back the problem for quite a few users.
I saw that potential workaround, in case it matches your config.

Since you said it had been working for a long time, could it be signs of fatigue on the adapter’s part?

1 Like

Running Home Assistant in a Docker container on a NUC.
All of my containers (esphome, mqtt, zigbee2mqtt, etc) ar all containers on the same device.

Is the adapter referring to the dongel ( SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus Gateway)?

From my experience, a couple points that you might want to expand on.

“SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” There are two different chips that are in adapter that fall under this, unfortunate, product name. Not sure if that is part of your problem, however stating which zigbee chip is in your dongle, TI or Silicon labs might be important. Also, sharing the firmware version that is running on your coordinator chip can be useful.

USB devices can be problematic from a number of aspect in general on a physical machine, The adding the ‘mapping a USB device into docker’ layer can be another.
Gets a bit linux techie, however have a look at the lower level messages in dmesg around the failure point. This assuming you are running on linux. USB hub, USB power, USB noise issue can all be something to consider. Make sure you are mapping your USB dongle into your Zigbee2MQTT configuration.yaml via ‘by-id’ path and not the by serial path as shown below:

user@docker-01:~$ tio -L
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-ITead_Sonoff_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_5cf90e3b6229ec119a9a6d7840c9ce8d-if00-port0
/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_TubesZB_971207DO-if00-port0

I’ve run Zigbee2MQTT in docker on Rpi, Intel and Proxmox based systems with high reliability for a number of years.

Good hunting!