ZWae deice do not come back from a power cut

i moved my home assistant server to a UPS with all my networked equipment so it will not go down suddenly when the power goes off. The problem I ahve now is that after a power cut several ZWave devices become unavailable. If I reconfigure the ZWave JS service they all come back but they don’t do it on their own.

The most recent Z-Wave JS update (1.23.1) required both a HASS reboot, and an unplug-replug of the USB Z-Wave controller stick to bring devices back on-line - the first time for me this has been needed. Basically a cold boot of both hardware and software. I’d suggest trying a similar full off/ on of the controller if you’ve not already.

More remote devices (and battery) can be slower to come back available / on-line especially if the mesh coverage isn’t great (more hops).

Perhaps try adding/ moving an additional mains powered switch as a mesh repeater?

The standard Z-Wave JS integration doesn’t have a network graph visualisation, but the “full” version does apparently.

If you also get delays occasionally in events, you can also check for dead nodes - Z-Wave can sometimes sit for 2 minutes trying to communicate with a device which is in the bin! The fix is to exclude the dead ID.

What are those devices and what do you do specifically to get them back online.

I have several USB powered aoetec multisensors, after a power fluctuation while they do come back “online” they do fail to send data reliably. Similarly I have a Aeotec 7 smart plug that after a power fluctuation started reporting incorrect current data. My conclusion is that these guys haven’t done sufficient electrical engineering to make sure there devices always reset / restart correctly after power problems.

For the aoetec multisensors, I discovered I could bring them back online by setting their configuration parameters. So now I have an automation that does that automatically whenever they go offline. On the smart plug it only happened once and the solve was power cycling.

I had to roll back to the previous ZwaveJS2MQTT version in order to get anything to register. I could control zwave device via the ZwaveJSMQTT control panel but nothing for Zwave into HA. I did restart HA, Zwave, and MQTT to no avail.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunatey I have tried powering down the entire system a couple of times but this does not fix the issue. The ZWave devices are almost all powered thus are repeaters. The devices that give problems most are actually the closest ones to the hub. Once they are reinterviewed they seem to work flawlessly until the next power cut. It is a little random in that it is not always the same devices that fail to reconnect.
The nature of this problem is that if a ZWave device is powered off and powered back on again it does not reliably reconnect to the hub. If the hub itself is powered off, then when it comes back on everything works. Battery powered devices have no problems, only powered devices that go off when there is a power cut. The problem is only apparent if the hub itself does NOT lose power. In my case this is normal since the computer on which the hub is installed is on a UPS but ZWave switches for lights and power are not.

A couple of Jasco light switches and some Vision and Enertec in-wall dual relays are the main problem children. I also had a Fibaro LED strip controller do this yesterday although that particular device has never done this before so it could be something else in that case.

I’m having this same problem. It even happens when I just do a Z-Wave JS UI update. Most devices I just have to ping them but some I have to re-interview. Not sure what to try.