ZWave JS / Not able to listen to zwave_js_event

So I am not seeing anything either… Perhaps I am misunderstanding what should be working… my test is that I subscribe to zwave_js_value_notification or zwave_js_value_notification and then toggle a few lights. If I do this I see nothing… shouldn’t I ?

I am using zwave_js_notification event type for a Z-Wave lock. I only see these this event type from my Z-Wave lock. My light switch and dimmer don’t produce this event. If you don’t see an event in the developer tools then your device doesn’t produce the event or it is not supported yet.

The listeners just tells you events that are being listened to, either by an automation or in code, so just because it is not in that list does not mean that it is not firing. You can test this by listening to zwave_js_notification in Dev Tools in one tab and then visiting the Dev Tools in another tab, you should see 1 listener which is you.

What type of device are you using? These events are for a limited set of device categories (I would encourage you to read the docs on these events to learn when they are relevant). When you perform an action that you expect an event for, you should see a line entry for it in the zwave-js logs

2 Likes

lights will not trigger events, they are handled via state updates to the relevant entities. I would encourage you to read the docs on these events to learn when they are relevant

I figured out the listeners listed were the ones being used.

I’m trying to listen to events from my Yale lock, fibaro smoke detectors and a zwave pir flood light. I would imagine that all of these devices would give events that should be visible under the listener?

I started playing with this today and either have some dumb luck or have info someone can use for debug info:

1. set up simple node red listen on both value_notification and just notification.
  2. pushed a wall switch and saw value_notification events. Wahoo!
  3. pushed a dimmer switch and also saw value_notifications. More wahoo!
  4. set up some simple node red switch nodes to decode the data and turn it into simple ON-OFF payloads. That works!
  5. Pushed other switches and dimmers in my house - no events, value or otherwise. I have a bunch of different switches and dimmers (about 20), mostly various GE, but some others.
  6. Did updates, restarts, scrapped the node red nodes and started over. The good news is my original 2 devices are still reporting, but no others.
    These 2 devices are the only ones of that part number in my home. The two working items: GE/Jasco 26931/ZW4006, GE Jasco 46203. Not all but most of my other devices are Zwave+, FWIW. Hoping my other devices magically start working as HA and ZWJS releases continue. I’ve been waiting for this for awhile. I have several use cases where I want to detect a switch that is already ON has been pressed (and not a double tap). (hint hint if someone knows how to do it already)

Me2…

I did upgrade from core3.4 to core 4.6 while on zwave-JS 0.1.17 and like the others, my zwave_js_event now is empty as well as zwave_js_value_notification or zwave_js_notification. I even tried to update the Zwave JS from 0.1.17 to 0.1.20 - but that did not fix it…

hellp! :wave: :pray:

well… actually it was cockpit error on my side…
the zwave_js_value_notification succesfuly replaces zwave_js_event.

(the switch I tried was not sending those commands, and the other one I thought it should … it was not paired in the current zwave network)…

So it actually works for me.

zwave_js_value_notification is not working for me in 2021.5? Is there a new even for zwavejs?

I had the same problem. Something is funky with the Developer Tools/Events screen.
When cutting/pasting zwave_js_value_notification into the “listening to” field, no events are shown.
When manually typing the event type, the events do show.

I discovered this by listening for all event types using a wildcard: “listening to: *”

1 Like

It still works for me on 2021.5. I have a bunch of automations using zwave_js_value_notification and they all currently work fine.

Maybe when you copy and pasted it included a trailing space. The listener input text box does not strip white-space.

Thanks Arjen , I had the same problem, this fixed it for me to see the events