ZWave on Windows and maybe configuration

I’m a Windows user, and trying to add Z-wave to HA. Currently, I’m running on core, which I believe means no Supervisor. I have Mosquitto mqtt broker connected with a OmniLInkBridge that gives me access to my OmniPro panel. All the entities populate beautifully in HA. So easy!!!

Trying to get Z-wave going has been a nightmare. First, I don’t really get what I need, which I’d prefer to be the bare minimum, no docker, emulators, etc., if possible. So I started by trying to add zwavejs but it wants a url, to what? Then I figured I need zwavejs2mqtt. But evidently that needs Docker, which in turn needs a unix emulator like Ubuntu. Loaded (alot) of software on my system and and have no idea where to go. Besides, the system runs very slowly now. I tried these instructions:

mkdir store
docker run --rm -it -p 8091:8091 -p 3000:3000 --device=/dev/serial/by-id/insert_stick_reference_here:/dev/zwave
-v $(pwd)/store:/usr/src/app/store zwavejs/zwavejs2mqtt:latest

but I have no idea what “Insert stick reference here” is, how to find it, let alone where to set time zone info in docker. Other instructions say to get the Zwave key, how?

Does anyone want to tackle this, or know of a step by step guide for a non unix cmd line guy. Better yet, is there a nice Z-wave to mqtt server out their that runs natively on windows? That would be best for me, I think.

You don’t need Docker to run zwavejs2mqtt (nor zwavejs for that matter). Both are just NodeJS applications, so they will run in any environment that can run NodeJS. That includes Windows. You’ll have to build the package yourself with yarn. See here for more info. Scroll all the way down to the bottom.

The zwavejs server. It’s a client / server setup. The zwavejs integration in HA is the client. It needs a zwavejs server to run and will connect to it over a websocket connection. That’s the URL / IP you need to specify. On the server side, you can either run zwavejs or zwavejs2mqtt, either of which will manage your controller stick and all the messy details about the zwave protocol. I suggest using zwavejs2mqtt, which includes zwavejs and adds a really nice web UI on top of it. You don’t have to use the MQTT part (but you can if you want), it will also expose the websocket connection that the HA zwavejs integration expects.

thank you for the help. Exactly what I was looking for.