Zwave slow when using wall switch

I have a Fibaro switch that I use both over the Frontend and the wall switch. Since some time I always get a two second delay when using the wall switch. This is not the case with other wall switches. It also responds immediately when using the Frontend.

I have healed the network multiple times, restarted the system, unplugged the stick and reconfigured the device.

There is nothing in the logs and the answer time is 55 ms…

:frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

If I ping the device right before, it is responding instantly! And after pinging a few times it stay like that…

What is the model number and have you checked in the z-wave js database to be sure the device is fully supported?

It is a FGS221. I have another one that works.

What is weird, after that ping it works as intended.
So I think it is either a bug or because I deactivated the ping entities.

I could also imagine it is because there is no interval for regularly checking the devices. Other implementations know a polling interval, which is completely gone in zwavejs2mqtt.

Have you updated to the latest firmware. There appears to be many versions and parameters come and go based on version.

see here

There are no firmware updates available from fibaro. But they are on the same version.

Trying to understand your issue, Is it then when you turn on the switch from Home Assistant, it reverts back to off, then eventually goes on ~4 seconds later?

No, it was just delayed when using the wall switch.

I sync another light with this switch, so it was obvious.

So that is a zwave to zwave direct communication? Vs triggering an automation in HA to turn the light on?

Zwave triggers an additional zigbee light, basically syncing the light.

Slow when using the wall switch.
Fast when using ping and wall switch.
Fast when using frontend button.

IMO, replace the switch with something else entirely. The time it’ll take to try to diagnose this issue is simply not worth the trouble. Given that Fibaro won’t provide firmware updates for free is another nail in that product’s coffin.

That said, when talking Z-Wave it’s probably a good idea to mention what radio/stick is being used and whether it’s updated with the latest firmware.

It’s the zwave.me UZB1 on the latest firmware. Since I am not sure if this is limited to that switch I am hesitant to get rid of it.

I would switch to zigbee but I have many LED and coverings running on Zwave.

Motion sensors are much quicker than on zwave.

This is really bad. Multiple devices are now slow and don’t report. I start to hate zwave…

If you have a bad device, the wreckage it can do on your system is limitless. I have had 7 devices go bad and every time it was bad. Sometimes I could hear the relay cycling endlessly others the switch just did not work. Finding the offending device can be difficult.

I would think your wall switch is the culprit.

if the switch has an air gap, I would pull it and see if your system settles down. You can also flip the breaker if you dont have an air gap.

I do suspect another one or two. One doesn’t switch anymore. But I really would like to have a way to tell which one is defective.

Turn off the power or pull the airgap and see if your network stabilizes. It usually requires a reboot of HA after the switch is turned off to clear the system. I have not tried restarting just the z-wave when I have had a bad node.

You can also look at traffic in the network and see if a node is sending alot of info. I have not found a fool proof method to prove a node is bad.

If any of the nodes are GE/Jasco, and they are older version, they are prone to failure after 2 years. Most times it is the relay in the switches but have had the z-wave chip die.

I don’t have lot of traffic though. But what I could imagine is that it routes over a defective device.

If I trigger it with HA, it is very fast because the connection is direct. It could be routing if using the wall switch.

Health check reveals many devices are 0/10 directly to the controller. Even if they are working.