ZWave with Smartthings or USB Dongle, which is better

I just got started with HA and have moved 98% of my devices to Zigbee2MQTT. It is working great, especially since I replaced half the bulbs from Sengled end-devices to Silvania router bulbs. Also got a lot of Sonoff plugs.

I have Smartthings added because there is a room that I have not moved yet because it is wifey’s office. I am waiting on proofing and learning the system first before I make that move over. I have Smartthings integration, so I’ve moved some of the automations over to HA. I also have Magic, Govee, and Tuya added.

The question I have is, I am using Smartthings for virtual switches. I am doing this until I learn how to do the same in HA. But what about ZWave. I do not have any ZWave devices at all. I want to add a few for light switches and a few other things.

What does everyone think about using Smartthings as the ZWave coordinator? I will still automate everything in HA, just using Smartthings as a ZWave radio since it is built-in. OR, do you guys recommend a ZWave radio?

I do not mind keeping Smartthings as a coordinator. Another idea is to use ST to control my lights outside since I have over 75+ devices. HA is handling all devices and entities without issue, even the ones in ST, Tuya, Magic, and Govee. I just want to see what you guys think about using Smartthings for ZWave and overflow of Zigbee (outdoor stuff) or using a USB ZWave radio.

I know people have preferences and opinions. I would like a good explanation of why I should use one or the other. Or, if Smartthings would make a good ZWave coordinator.

Thanks.

Because the ST integration is a cloud integration - there fore every interaction you have between your zwave device is not only dependent on the internet when it doesn’t have to be - it round trips every communication to and from Smartthings cloud - twice…

Plug in a Zwave dongle and use any of the supported integrations that can control it - local, and near instant. It comes with it’s own warts, sure - but it doesn’t depend on the internet.

1 Like

Recommendations on a good ZWave dongle.

Aeotec 7

I used the previous five plus version. It’s been great.

1 Like