Zwavejs2mqtt OTA firmware upgrade?

When I moved from zwave.js to zwavejs2mgtt I stumbled on this page:

The ’ Change to “Z-Wave JS to MQTT” from “Z-Wave JS”****.’ section was very helpfull, i guess it will be for you too

OK, that worked, but the documentation is not for HA OS 7.6.
Another caveat. With a clean install, from shutdown, pulg in my Zooz ZST10, boot, Z-Wave JS gets installed in the boot process. Therefore, I follow the instructions for Change to “Z-Wave JS to MQTT” from “Z-Wave JS”.

With some adaptations.
Configuration → Integrations is Configuration–>Add-ons, Backups & Supervisor
Menu (hamburger icon) is Menu (three horizontal lines)
In my case, the serial port is /dev/ttyUSB0 (look for the grayed words “Serial Port”)
Network Keys are the S2 Unauthenticated, S2 Authenticated, S2 Access Control, and S0 Legacy. Each has a refresh button that is the arrows-chasing-each-other.
DON’T FORGET TO CLICK ON [SAVE]!
Steps 5-12 are completely unintuitive. Just follow the incantation. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to "ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000 ", just do it
There are a few other changes on how to get to a certain configuration area, but I’ve forgotten what they were. :frowning:

(Having crossed through Minas Tirith, Frodo now enters the realm of "Flashing the Z-Wave Device Firmware. … 5 gold coins awarded. Cost to enter new realm, 6)

Glad it helped. It’s the same with me… a lot of don’t know how I got there. The steps on the Aotec link made me see the light and it just worked (and stil does).

As for doing OTA update: I just played around in ZwaveJSMqtt dashboard and found the update option. Trial and error. As someone else stated earlier here: The update can be followed in the debug window of zwavejs2mgtt dashboard. You can clearly see the number of packets sent tot the device and there are clear messages when it’s finished. Maybe there are other ways too, didn’t find them.

Is your device USB-powered?

Updating my three Zooz Zen25 went smoothly. It is an AC powered device. They were sending out a lot of packets concerning functions I didn’t use. Ver 1.0 did not have a way of disabling that information but Ver 2.0 did

I used the Z-WAVE STICK 700 ZST10 as my my Z-Wave network controller. It is a USB device that plugs into the computer.

My normal controller is a Universal-Devices ISY994i-ZW-IR. This does not support OTA firmware updates. From this controller I excluded the Zen25’s. Then I included them to the HA running on a RPi with the ZST10 plugged into a USB of the RPi. For each Zen25 I included it using HA, OTA flashed the firmware, excluded it and re included it on my ISY994I

My ISY994i network is running much better now. :slight_smile:

Just got it to work with Aeotec MultiSensor 6!

• Download your appropriate rar file from here.
  • Extract the EXE, which in my case was named: “MultiSensor 6_US_C_V1_15.exe”
  • Go to the Zwavejs2mqtt web interface and press the drop-down arrow “v” on the device.
  • Press the “Advanced” button to the right of “Ping”
  • Press “Firmware Update” and then “Begin”
  • Use Target “0” and “Begin”
  • Select the EXE file extracted from the RAR and “Upload”
  • Switch to the Zwavejs2mqtt Debug window to watch the upload

It takes a lonnnnng time to upload to a device, even though it is about 800KB in size. Nevertheless, it does, and will eventually reboot and show the new version of firmware.

4 Likes

would we expect a message when the FW upgrade kicks in? just seem to do nothing

When you enable debug you can see its running

eg: 2022-05-07 08:45:43.032 INFO ZWAVE: Calling api beginFirmwareUpdate with args: [
‘MultiSensor 6_EU_C_V1_15.exe’,
<Buffer 4d 5a 90 00 03 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 ff ff 00 00 b8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 … 826582 more bytes>,
[length]: 4
]
2022-05-07 08:45:43.038 INFO ZWAVE: Failed to start the update: A firmware upgrade is already in progress! (ZW1500) beginFirmwareUpdate undefined

If you continue to look at the debug you’ll see the progress with packets being sent to the device # when it kicks in. They’ll count up to some number of packets above 3000. I have found that devices that are further away from the hub are difficult to complete upgrades. Also, sometimes it will get stuck after a failure, believing that it is still upgrading it. Hit the cancel upgrade a couple times and it should clear that out.

Just a question regarding OTA firmware update for Aotec Multisensor 6 by the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on.

Does the exe-file work, because my HA installation is not on a Windows machine?
Or do I need the firmware hec-file, used for Homeseer for that? [link]

Yes, the exe file works. However, if the device is a number of hops away from the USB stick, it is less likely to complete.

1 Like

Thank for your quick respond @pashdown, it’s appreciated :+1:
I will give it a try later this week, see what happens.

I tried the update, and it finished, but the new firmware version is not updated in the Control Panel of the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on.

Do I need to do a Refresh Values or Re-interview the node, or something else?

EDIT: never mind, after a re-interview it was OK! Nice to see an update can be done by the add-on. Impressive!

1 Like

With the Sept update of Home Assistant OS, the updates show in the settings tab. I updated each of my zwave switches one at a time (tried two at once one time, but oh my god that took forever). Had to restart Home assistant after the reinterview to gain control of the switches again, but it worked pretty well, except for one switch… I initiated the update and it just spun for forever, I went to my dashboard and cycled the switch on/off to see I still had control of it (I did), looked in the Zwave JS tab and the switch didn’t show it doing anything (the others all showed update progress in the status bars). It finally stopped and when I tried it again it states that the update fails because and update is already in progress. I finished updating all the other switches I had and restarted home assistant, verified all the other switches were good and tried again, still says update in progress. The in progress attribute to the Update entity for the switch reads ‘false’, I can’t find anything in the switch settings that show update in progress, the OTA tab in the switches dropdown says it needs to be updated, but even if I attempt the update from there I get the same failure message. I tried several of the ‘advanced functions’ like reinterviewing the node, healing the node, refresh values, etc. but NO JOY. Can anyone help!!!

2 Likes

Did you find a fix? I’ve got exactly the same issue. (ZW1500)

I also have the error that an update fails because an update is already in progress (ZW1500).

I did a few reboots over the course of a few days, and the error quietly resolved itself. I was able to run the update without a hng. No idea what caused it or fixed it, but it went away.