0.54 - Alexa smart home native support

Just seen this has been released. Is this a replacement for emulated hue / Haaska?

I saw this too. I think this is something coming, not here yet…

Would be really nice if it does. Been thinking about switching to Haaska instead of emulated hue as I have to use custom skill to control the colours of my RGB bulbs.

I can’t find any documentation on the Alexa native Smart Home API integration into Home Assistant :frowning:
How do I set it up? I thought that I have to use Lambda to use the smart home api!?
Also, how do I connect Alexa’s built in capabilities to my HA entities (ex. when do media_player controlls go to my TV and when do they go to Kodi?)

Anyone tried this yet?
I’m running emulated_hue atm but this seems much better?

Hi, I would be also very interested to get Alexa integrated in HA. As the new cloud service offered by HA is currently not availabkle in Germany. (or to be more specific: The skill is not available in Germany…
If someone has it completly configured with Alexa Skill API and AWS Lambda, would be great if you could share it with us.
Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

1 Like

They announced the Alexa smart home native integration trough a payed cloud service that home-assistant developers will provide :frowning:

I hope someone has the time to integrate the HA skill via a self-hosted or aws lambda service.

1 Like

The Alexa Smart Home API can only work with an AWS Lambda function. It can not be self-hosted as a normal HTTP endpoint, as is possible with the Skills API (the Skills API requires “Alexa, tell $skill_name …”)

Haaska provides that Lambda function. However, it appears Haaska supports only the now deprecated v2 Smart Home payload.

It appears smart_home.py from the linked GitHub issue is an implementation of the v3 Smart Home payload. Unfortunately that Lambda function must still exist, but I’m thinking it doesn’t need to provide much besides simple request forwarding. Currently investigating.

Easy peasy. https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/11859

2 Likes

Hi all. Anyone have a working Lambda proxy connecting to the new smart home API? From what I gather, and as bitglue pointed out, it simply need to pass through the requests, since the smart home api already accepts and response in v3. I would really like to upgrade my v2 haaska integration and take advantage of some of the new items in v3 and also the support for the newer Echos, which now only communicate in v3, from what I understand.

Nevermind, figured it out by following this link:

But also adopting for https, since I have a valid SSL.