0.90.0: Streaming camera in lovelace?

find your camera in this list to see what configuration to use: Stream Component: Confirmed Cameras and Configurations

anyone got wyze cams yet?

We still show the still image in the Lovelace frontend for now. Nobody has developed a video Lovelace card at this time. You must go to more info panel to see the stream.

1 Like

Thanks @dshokouhi, I did configure it according to it, same issue (my config was basically the same before, only had extra parameters in teh stream, I guess this was not the issue.
It shows gray rectangle in lovelace. I now understand from @hunterjm that I won’t get a stream, but I was hoping for at least an ever so changin image like I had before.

Anyhow, went back to ffmpeg, do not see any benfit for the stream feature in this scenario. Pity, it got me quite excited.

You will see an image that changes every 10 seconds in Lovelace if you have configured the still image url correctly. If you see a broken image or grey rectangle in the frontend, your configuration is not correct. Try to google how to get a snapshot for your particular model of camera, the ISAPI url works great for my HikVision cameras.

same here and I just want to say a huge thank you for Stream… It works flawlessly for me and my HikVision cameras. Just playing with it and someone presses the doorbell… Philips TV works as a media player, so no matter what is showing, kodi, chromecast, tivo, it then switches to the stream from the front door… Now I need to work out how I pause what is playing and switch back after 30 seconds…

This is true genius and the part that has been missing from HA.

Found a working config for Hikvision at the end. The info on https://community.home-assistant.io/t/stream-component-confirmed-cameras-and-configurations/106729 did not work for me.
I have removed the username and password from the link, added as parameters and added authentication: digest.

camera:
  - platform: generic
    name: Outside
    still_image_url: "http://<IP>/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture"
    stream_source: "rtsp://<username>:<password>@<IP>:554"
    username: "<username>"
    password: "<password>"
    authentication: digest
1 Like

On my TV that can be done with media_player.turn_off service call after a delay action in the automation.

May I ask how you were you able to accomplish this without casting it?

like this… my philips tv is a media player in HA

- alias: Doorbell_test
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: xiaomi_aqara.click
    event_data:
      entity_id: binary_sensor.switch_158d0001a668c0
      click_type: single
  action:
    - service: camera.play_stream
      data:
        entity_id: camera.front_garden_stream
        media_player: media_player.43pus7303_12
1 Like

Thanks!! just learned something new.

1 Like

Hello @MarkR,
Any idea what are the media_players which are compatible with that? Just tested enigma ones (a Vu Zero device) and it is not compatible. I have a NotImplementedError.

Thanks.

not a clue… I tried Chromecast and Kodi and neither worked… then I tried my philips tv and it worked a treat… sorry that is of no help at all…

@hunterjm do you have a list please?

Samsung TV K5500 model not working with that, I have a ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player.samsungtv] Unsupported media type message.

Actually this is a myth… You can actually get a stream using the camera_view: live option

Eg:

type: picture-glance
camera_image: camera.outside
camera_view: live
title: Outside
entities:
  - switch.garden

( @bruxy70 )

1 Like

Yes, I have it configured that way (except it is a picture-element type image).
And you are right, it is not a static image, but I would not call it stream either - I get 1 frame per 10 seconds.

You should get an actual feed with this option not a 0,1fps “feed” do you have home assistant up to date? It works on both cards I tried it

Yes, 0.100.1
Works with picture-glance - there I have a stream, also works with picture-entity.
But with picture-element I get 0.1 fps.
This is the config. Do you see anything wrong?

- type: picture-elements
        image: /local/blank.png
        elements:
          - type: image
            camera_view: live
            camera_image: camera.outside
            style:
              top: 50%
              left: 50%
              width: 100%

I think that also depends on the type of camera you are getting your stream from.

picture-elements works for me, but I get the extra-slow framerate when I use the generic camera.
Instead, when I use the ffmpeg camera it works pretty decently (15fps). This is true for cameras from my Hikvision NVR, but I have a bunch of other cameras and they work ok with the generic camera.

welldone done, this method is way easier