0.96 - Climate states are too verbose now! I can't read the entity name. Can I fix this?

Hi, I have a nice little list of climate entities for my 12 zone evohome system which used to be useful because you could read what rooms they were for. See below:

The new climate component adds in a bunch of long words and superfluous info like that it’s a heater in heat mode (which is all it can do because it’s a heater, I don’t need to know that… It’s never turned off either)… Now I can’t read the entity name…

Can I get rid of some of this junk so that I can read the name again without having to make a template sensor which won’t properly pull up the “more info” pane for these climate sensors which i use to view the graph and change the temperature?

I am not sure what I am looking at in that second image, but is it enough to shorten the name for the entity?

I can’t fit any useful name into 6 characters. I need to trim the junk out of the state.

1 Like

Prior to 0.96, the Lovelace thermostat widget used to simply display the entity’s state.

For some climate platforms, the entity’s state represented the operation mode (heat) whereas for others, it was the operating state (heating).

Now in 0.96, all climate platforms have been standardized so that the entity’s state represents its operation mode. In addition, the Lovelace climate widget has been modified to show more than just the entity’s state.

As seen in your example, it now shows:

1. The operation mode: Heat
  2. The operating state: Heating
  3. The preset_mode: Permanent

To my knowledge, there’s no easy way to do that. You could use the Simple Thermostat card which allows you to customize its appearance. It’s currently in the process of being updated to support 0.96’s changes to the climate component.

I do use simple thermostat card in my climate panel where I also have graphs of every zone’s temperature, but the point of just showing these entities was to put a small HUD on my lovelace main “dashboard overview” tab where I could quickly look at it and make an adjustment where needed… Simple thermostat is still too big for that purpose when putting 12 heating zones there.

I wish it wouldn’t show operating mode and operating state if they can only be a single possible value. I have a heater, I don’t need you to tell me that it’s a heater that’s heating, that’s literally the only thing it’s capable of doing. Possible entity states displayed should be simply Permanent: 15C, Temporary: 15C, Auto, or Off.

I understand that they added the other modes and states to make it a more useful abstraction layer to every type of climate device, but that doesn’t mean they have to spam the entity state display with a bunch of superfluous information.