1 year in, where do I go next? (brain dump, sorry)

The 7Gb was before I found the problem. It’s now 29Mb with 7 days of data. I have 2 Synology nas drives and a Synology router. These both have tons of sensors which home assistant recorded constantly along with all my other devices. The DB was getting 5Mb per second, my nas was going mental keeping up which is why I noticed the problem.

Fixing the recorder corrected any response issues.

I’ll be adding more entities to the “include” section but hopefully the DB will be less than 100Mb.

For the record I have 14 sonoff switches, 2 sonoff led controllers, an RF bridge, 12 Honeywell evohome zones (14 rad stats) plus hot water controller, 4 echo dots, person tracking is by phones on the Synology router, 2 foscam cameras, PS4 and some media players and a few other devices. I’m running motion eye on the pi plus a few other integrations. The processor is rarely above 20% load so should be good for plenty expansion.

Cool, didn’t know about that one for sqllite. Now I’m wondering if I should so something similar with my MariaDB docker container. I don’t really care about the volatility if power goes down. pi4 has been up for 180d straight (last reboot was due to power outage). Curious how hard it’s going to be to tell mariadb to use memory rather than ssd drive.

Hi, what hardware is it for the rflinks? It seems my problem is the way that the sonoff decodes my touch remote buttons (they send different codes) and I don’t fancy the hack if the rflink will work and I will have 2 options for grabbing codes. I don’t like being beaten and will run my RF stuff til it breaks before I replace it with zigbee which is still too expensive. I have loads more that I want to do.

My zigbee to mqtt dongle is on it’s way for the other sensors so I can replace the xaomi hub which is a pain in the butt.

A little more expensive these day, but for €15 you can get there.

Cheers, looks complicated at first sight. Tonight’s reading.

It’s more easy then it looks. A Arduino mega, some dupont cables and a 433Mhz receiver + transmitter.
I use the RXB6 and the cheap FS1000A transmitter. You just need to flash the software and connect the receiver and transmitter with the dupont cables.

The build side of it I’m OK with, it’s the software side of it that I’ll struggle with but I’m going to have a go. It looks a bit more flexible to the sonoff one and I really want a weather station. I use a broadlink RM pro to control some cheap socket’s and probably won’t change that.

Hi there, Anyone who is listening.

I have the zigbee2mqtt dongle up and working, I have 3 Xaomi sensors, and it’s melting my pi. Any help. I don’t know how to diagnose this problem. I was thinking of just making a backup and doing a fresh install and loading up the backup.

What is the problem ?

Cheers for the call for help reply. We have a lockdown reduction tonight, so am now a little tipsy,
My HA is becoming unresponsive. Since I started zigbee2mqtt.
I turned the zigbee2mqtt integration off and it still became unresponsive.
Capture7
My processor goes to above 20-30% and I lose HA until I pull the plug. This has been going on for a while but hasn’t happened for a a month or so.

Processor temperature gets above 65 and it won’t respond.

I will be in a better state in the morning to deal with it, and communication isn’t my strong point. Cheers for being patient.

The top command should help.

What is this?

My HA has run all night, and I could access it through the android app OK this morning. The weird thing is, as soon as I accessed it through a browser (ccleaner browser) it started going wrong and froze again. I have tried to manually purge the database as this was my problem before, it has been OK since I moved over to maria though.

I used the Top command and i am not sure what i’m looking at. The io goes to over 50% and the processor goes a little high. I am going to start again and use a backup. It’s something I have never done before so another thing to learn.

If io is going over 50% I suspect your SD card has gone kaput.

It’s an SSD so hopefully not. This is why I really want to know, is the PI up to this job, there is a design flaw here, the logic works great, the recorder (which i really like) brings it down. I will look into the NUC approach, or possibly use my laptop, I’m due an upgrade. Would be good if android devices could be used (easily) as I have loads of old phones with really good hardware.

What’s confusing is it runs for hours, all night and then throws a wobbler

As others have said, I think it’s the recorder.

I have a Pi 3b (not plus) running a pretty complex setup with a mixture of about 40 RFXCOM controlled lights and temperature sensors, a lot of Z-Wave stuff (heater control, PIRs, smoke and leak detectors, door and window sensors, etc), MQTT with power monitoring, LTE signal monitoring, BLE presence detection, multiple outdoor radar sensors, an entire security system running on it. Including multiple 4k cameras streaming at 10 to 16Mbps each through the Pi (recording is done on a dedicated NVR though). I have zero performance problems. HA’s CPU utilization is below 1% normally and only goes up when streaming security footage. The system is super snappy and responds pretty much instantly to any triggers. Lovelace served through it is also super responsive. I’m running HA in a venv under Raspbian.

Everything runs on a Sandisk Extreme+ SDCard. Never had any problems, it’s rock solid. I excluded all entities from the recorder and reenabled about 40 of them. Retention period is 5 days. The db file is below 30MB. All my devices are local, no cloud stuff, voice assistants or similar. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

So unless running CPU intensive things like Tensorflow, I really have a hard time understanding how people can have performance problems on a modern Pi. I mean you read a lot about people posting about how happy they are with their new NUC / Synology / repurposed laptop and how much faster everything runs. I can’t help wondering what exactly runs faster for them and if there might be just a bit of a placebo effect playing in there.

I think it’s frontend response that people like. I am not that fussed, I use this mainly for local control, node red and it is a nice dashboard. Things like lights and energy saving work really well for me and I have WAF in all of this. I have also utilized all of the crappy tech that I thought I would never get working so for it to just fall over is a bit heartbreaking. Luckily I have a good backup plan now and I have fairly painlessly got back up and running in a few hours, I have not re-started mariadb as I don’t know where it is, the standard one is in the config folder and can be deleted any time if trouble happens, and I have set the recorder/logbook up in detail and cut out anything unimportant. Essentially anyone new who throws a bit at this is doomed to fail with the default settings ready to destroy it’s own hardware. There wasn’t anything wrong with my hardware, a fresh more experienced install is all.Thanks @nickrout for the help I have learned some new things.

Indeed. That situation is clearly anything but ideal. Especially since the Pi (and it’s default SD card) is promoted as a typical platform for HA.

Maybe the recorder should use a more restricted (and sane) default configuration that could be overridden for less common use cases. Do I really need to know the exact history of every single one of my light switches over one month ? Probably not. Maybe certain entity classes could be excluded from the recorder by default.

Something like that, through the UI if possible, you never know what’s around the corner, my config.yaml is mostly commented out now apart from my broadlink entities and a few stragglers (and now recorder config), it’s mostly done in the integrations section now. It has moved so quickly since I have been using it, in comparison I also use emby which moves at a snails pace, love them though. I haven’t even linked them together yet…

I used to have the same problems you list when I was on a Pi. I went to a 2011 mac mini with SSD and have had no problems since. I’d suggest an intel box. A NUC will be amazing, and those problems will be gone.