2 Servers 2 Locations, both running HA, both quit working after recent server update

I just downgraded to the latest 5.19 version of docker-ce by the use of aptitude, which I installed for this, and using this guide: https://askubuntu.com/questions/900536/how-do-i-use-aptitude-to-downgrade-force-version-of-a-package.
right now everything is starting up. At least my HA containers are there again, but not everything is working yet…

update:
All docker images of hassio addons were gone. After clicking ‘start’ for each addon in Supervisor the exact name of the missing image was displayed, which I manually downloaded with
docker image pull <name>

I got things working on the latest version of docker-ce now.

What I did is restart hass a couple of times using # hassio-supervisor start / stop / status. After a few attempts hass started. Then i restored a snapshot.

It takes some waiting in between, bus after about half an hour things are running again :slight_smile:

Never mind, this didn’t survive a reboot…

1 Like

Bummer. I was hoping for a simple fix like this.

Downgrading docker-ce package to 5.19 version solved the problem for me.
After that I only had to re download the docker images of the hassio addons I use.

I did this:

sudo apt-get install docker-ce=5:19.03.14~3-0~ubuntu-focal docker-ce-cli=5:19.03.14~3-0~ubuntu-focal containerd.io

Then restored the latest snapshot.

That seems to do the trick. Simple enough, although I’m stuck with an old version of Docker for now as it seems.

2 Likes

Had the same issue in Debian.
Installing the old version of docker-ce via

sudo apt-get install docker-ce=5:19.03.13~3-0~debian-buster

and manually pulling the plugin docker images via docker pull got it up and running again.

2 Likes

I tried your method and it’s throwing an error saying that:

E: Version ‘5:19.03.14~3-0~ubuntu-focal’ for ‘docker-ce’ was not found
E: Version ‘5:19.03.14~3-0~ubuntu-focal’ for ‘docker-ce-cli’ was not found

Any idea where I messed up?

I’m a dope. I’m not running focal… I’m running bionic. Thanks!

Ok, welp…so far so good.

Using Aptitude, I installed the previous version of docker-ce and docker-ce-cli and moments later I was able to get to the HA dashboard.

Under ‘Supervisor’, the add-ons will appear as though they are there, but you’ll need to pull each one of them to get them back online:

sudo docker image pull <imagename>

To get the image name, try starting one of the add-ons. You’ll get a popup error showing you the name of the image, which will be something like:

("No such image: hassioaddons/grafana-amd64:5.3.6")

so this one would be:

sudo docker image pull hassioaddons/grafana-amd64:5.3.6

After that, I used Aptitude to put a hold on docker-ce and docker-ce-cli upgrades.

Now, if only I knew why this happened and how to prevent it…and when I’ll be able to release these so they’ll upgrade.

1 Like

I have been pulling my hairs since last midnight… I always blamed it to new supervisor requirements when i am on ubuntu 18.04 on Intel NUC. I even updated to Ubuntu 20.04. Now i find this, went back to docker 5.19; everything is fine. Thanks a lot guys, you are the best…

1 Like

You are really great guys. Had the problems with Debian buster since yesterday and did not know how to fix this. But the downupgrade to docker 5.19 worked.

Really curious what they did in verison 5.20 …

1 Like

Same thing happened to me, but in my case the home-assistant_v2.db database got corrupted somehow, so I’ve lost al my history.

Same issue here and same solution.
Ubuntu 20 in my case.
Just rollback to 5.19 and everything started as before.
No need to restore a snapshot.

Thank you!

1 Like

Ran across this thread and stranger yet, running official Docker-ce I noticed that current version is 19.03 again now with a subversion of 3-0 for the officially supported Debian config.

My HA has been horribly unstable with both Supervisor and all Docker stuff crashing outright for a couple of days.

Restored to VM backup just to get it running this morning. Console wouldn’t even run “ha” saying the container wasn’t responding.

Attempting to look at logs I would sometimes see supervisor complaining that one of the core Docker IP addresses had stopped responding three times and then nothing and the box was completely dead.

Ahh I take part of the above back. It wants to upgrade Docker again. Not doing it. Ha!

Interesting … a couple of other docker containers, e.g. NextCloudPi, also have problems with docker versions 5.20.

Okay, I ran into a problem with the TasmoAdmin add-on. It won’t start, but it also won’t report to me the name of the image with the image error. It also won’t uninstall.

How can I manually override this and wipe it out so I can re-install it?

Resolved. I took a shot in the dark.

docker image pull hassioaddons/sonweb-amd

…which downloaded the latest, then attempted to start and that’s when I got the error letting me know that I needed the particular version:

hassioaddons/sonweb-amd64:0.13.1

Pulled that image and it started.

I Also lost my HA, rebuild everything from scratch and find that it happen again!! Containers were being removed by docker-ce!! READ THIS!!!

Docker broke mine as well. I did the following on Ubuntu to restore service:
apt-get install docker-ce=5:19.03.14~3-0~ubuntu-focal

New Supervisor (2020.12.7) fixes the Docker issue. You can upgrade to Docker 20 now.

In fact, when I updated Supervisor this morning, I got the “unhealthy installation” warning… I upgraded my Docker and the warning went away.