2020.12: Automate with Blueprints!

My setup is rpi 4 using the docker ha installation, supervisor: 2020.12.7

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
starting version 3.2.9
[09:25:11] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[09:25:12] INFO: Setup udev devices
[09:25:13] INFO: Don't worry, this temporary installation is not overwriting your current one.
[09:25:13] INFO: Installing Home Assistant: latest...
[09:25:13] INFO: Please be patient, this might take a few minutes...
[09:27:53] INFO: Installed Home Assistant 2020.12.2
[09:27:53] INFO: Making a copy of your configuration for checking...
[09:28:36] INFO: Checking your configuration against this version...
[09:31:36] ERROR: The configuration check did not pass!
[09:31:36] ERROR: See the output below for more details.
Testing configuration at /tmp/config
Fatal error while loading config: This module can only be run on a Raspberry Pi!
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - This module can only be run on a Raspberry Pi!

Successful config (partial)
[09:31:36] INFO: The full output has been written to /share/check_config.txt
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

It looks like 2020.12.2 no longer recognizes the gpio of the pi. This is working fine with 2020.12.1

There was a change to tasmota in 2020.12.2 so perhaps lodge an issue on github.

After hours of debugging - I managed to get things going again (and I learned a lot about Tasmota and MQTT). The solution was to issue SetOption19 0 again on every tasmotized device. Even though all of them already had that setting! Why? I have no idea, but it worked. I tried to delete and reinstall both the MQTT as well as the Tasmota integration, but to no avail. During my course fo actions, I discovered that if I use SetOption19 1 then all devices were listed in the MQTT integration and nothing under Tasmota. But with SetOption19 0 all devices becomes part of the Tasmota integration and the previous MQTT devices (and entities) becomes unavailable and can be deleted.
So what’s the differense (benefit) of having Tasmota devices exposed by the Tasmota(beta) integration versus having them exposed by the MQTT integration? Yes, the answer is obvious: Tasmota Integration is capable of exposing all sensors available in a device while MQTT only exposes the device state.

Tasmota shows all those sensors as ATTRIBUTES instead of individual sensors. I see zero benefit at this point in the Tasmota integration as it’s just extra baggage with no benefit I can see. I can use Mosquitto Broker + MQTT or I can use Mosquitto Broker + MQTT + Tasmota integration for no additional benefit.

@DavidFW1960, you are probably right - although I do not understand the point you’re trying to make. I simply reported my findings. First of all, I assume that the Tasmota Integration brings some additional benefits - why else would someone even bother to make it?
When I use the Tasmota Integration, I get 8 additional Entities (for a Sonoff Basic switch) - or, at least they are all listed as Entities. You call it Attributes, and that may well be correct - but how was I to know, when it’s listed under Entities? Quite logical for me assume that something listed as an Entity actually is an Entity.

No with the integration they are reported as additional sensors but it’s the same as the information provided as attributes for one sensor already like here:

It currently has none I can see. I believe in the future there may be benefits but non now.

That was the point I was making. You are the one saying the

but it’s not obvious right now…

:blush: Let’s not begin the new year by with a pointless discussion. Assuming you wish to use i.e. RestartReason or Uptime in an automation. Could you get hold of that information without the Tasmota Integration?

Me too did you find a fix

Yes 100%. If you don’t like the discussion maybe you should stop now.

No, no - please don’t misunderstand me. I was just saying that that the discussion itself serves no purpose for me unless I can learn something. Seems like @Nicko1 is also interested in this…
Can you show us how these parameters can be found ?

Which parameters? The screen shot I posted is just an entities card showing the status sensor created when you use MQTT discovery (which you don’t use if using the beta Tasmota integration. )

The Tasmota integration might in the future offer some advantages it just doesn’t right now and is an added unnecessary complexity. I am watching to see if it becomes something more and I may switch.

All states and attributes can be discovered in dev-tools|states.

Updated this morning to 2020.12.2 without issues. This evening I finally got around to automating snapshots and backups. To my surprise, i noticed the new (full) snapshots are half size compared to all earlier ones, including the one I made this morning. Is that expected behaviour?

I noticed the same a few days ago but I did delete and readd my mariadb so that is probably why.

Well, all of these attributes are by default not enabled. So consequently they cannot be discovered in dev-tools|states unless I enable them - which I can do since they are listed as entities in the Tasmota integration. But if I delete the Tasmota integration and instead use only the MQTT integration, then - at least I - could not find any of these attributes anywhere (!)
I am open to the possibility that I’m doing something wrong - since @DavidFW1960 persistently tells me I’m wrong. But I’m still seeking the guidance I need to get this right (perhaps I am just stupid?)

they are only not enabled by default in the Tasmota integration you are using. The status sensor containing the attributes is there by default if you don’t use the Tasmota integration and use MQTT discovery.

I’m not telling you you are wrong about anything except what you consider to be the obvious benefits of the Tasmota integration where all I have done is point out the exact same information is already there without adding a new integration that at this time adds no value.

Edit1: Further investigation points to the DeConz plugin (which I now remember was also updated.) Within that plugin it seems the Over the Air firmware updates were either cleaned of lacking.
Edit2: Duh…

• Fixes issues where the otau directory was not excluded from snapshots

What is inside the snapshot is completely transparent. You can compare to see what has changed.

1 Like

Do you use setoption19 on or off ?