2021.2: Z-Wave... JS!

Sooo we are deprecating the fully working build in Zwave, openZwave remains complete and the NEW as of this release Z-Wave JS will be supported?

Those of use with lots of devices in our home hardwired would sure like some sort of roadmap of SUPPORT for major platforms like Z-wave.

Are any migration options planned?

1 Like

Not as often as MyQ… :grimacing: hahaha

4 Likes

I wish there was one more setting in the TTS, the volume

That is written in the blog post. There are no plans to remove the old integration. Additionally, there is a roadmap for Z-Wave JS linked as well.

2 Likes

Just install the server

Also, you can ask questions politely. Thanks.

12 Likes

:information_source:

Small update, we have issues with our builds. There might be a delay in the availability of this release.

We are actively looking into it and I will update this post when we are able to move forward.

Edit: All good now…

2 Likes

@frenck I have also problems with docker hub at the moment. I get an authenticated error, which is probably the same error you have in the CI. Maybe there is a problem at docker hub.

Yes it is a known incident upstream. Awaiting resolution.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between an mqtt sensor and the new mqtt number?

From what I’m gathering, mqtt sensor, which could be used to pull in a “number” via MQTT, will pull in a string representation of that number. MQTT Number would bring in the number as an actual number, so the object type in Home Assistant would be a number rather than a string.

1 Like

I’m eager to try the new Z-Wave JS integration. The update says polling is currently not supported and I have quite a few GE Z-wave dimmers that require ‘polling_intensity: 0’ to be set in zwave_device_config.yaml.

Is it safe to assume the GE Dimmers won’t work correctly with this new integration? If so, is there any word when polling may be supported?

1 Like

They do not update without the polling. They work perfectly fine though.

So if you turn on/off via the switch, nothing updates in HA. If you turn on/off via an automation, everything is A-OK and it updates properly.

1 Like

A number can provide controls (like a switch). Its the brother of input_number but for integrations. Its new, and will slowly make a bigger appearance :wink:

A sensor doesn’t provide controls.

4 Likes

Yes, they will turn on/off from the Z-wave commands but HomeAssistant won’t recognize them as being turned off, leaving them in a perpetual on state. I should have been more clear. Without polling enabled, when I turn the GE dimmers off in HomeAssistant, they dim down to single digit brightness in HA but don’t ever go into an off state.

That bug doesn’t make these dimmers very useful in a home automation solution when the on/off state can’t be recognized.

Great work with Zwave. :slight_smile:

I hope ZHA also gets more attention and developer men power.
Use it rather than Deconz or zigbee2mqtt. But I still see room for improvement with ZHA :muscle:

1 Like

which dimmer switches do you have? I am running these guys https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUCZA1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and state updates fine in Home Assistant

Yes, I know, i have 10 of these devices. If you read my response, you’ll understand that I gave you the answer.

You mean design? These devices were built when lutron patent existed for zwave immediate responses. The polling will come, it’s just not available now.

Hello,

I hoped we would have some enhancement on the Nuki integration but unfortunately no.
Anyway, nice to see all these changes on this new release!

Great work. Thanks for the updates. Really looking forward to zwave improvements - wilk get to it likely next version once it becomes more mature, since my home heavily relies on z-wave.

1 Like

Those are the new design, he’s refering to the older version of those. I believe the model number is 12722 and 12724.

1 Like