2021.6: A little bit of everything

The new version breaks my Ecowitt Integration. Anyone else seeing this?

If its a custom integration, then check there isnt an update to it to meet the new requirements.
you would have seen the warning in the log about it

It is a custom integration. Have not seen anything in the logs, but Iā€™ll follow up with the provider. Thank you.

Iā€™m having the same issue with my samsung tv. I use config flow for mine instead of yaml but itā€™s going unavailable as of this update.

If there is no on script, and the mac address is not known (will be missing in .storage/core.config_entries), it will go unavailable when turned off since there is no way for the integration to wake the TV otherwise.

I donā€™t use the integration to wake the tv. My TV is only semi smart, I just use this integration for status for my universal media player. Control is done through an RM Mini. This worked fine prior to the upgrade but is now broken.

Is it a custom integration??

Nope, just the standard samsung one. Was auto discovered as well.

Most commonly failing for missing version ā€œx.y.zā€ in manifest.json, which is required from 2021.6 on.
HA will block if missing.

TBH, it should not be expected to be any other way.

When was the last time you (not you specifically, kangaā€¦) checked any logs on your Windows or Linux PC without something breaking forcing you to look there? And now that I think about it Iā€™m not even sure how to check the logs on a Windows PC so I doubt Iā€™ve EVER actually checked them. And Iā€™ll add Iā€™ve never ever checked any release notes (EVER) before any windows updates either. I doubt very many people do. Most of us just happily click the ā€œupdateā€ button and move on.

Why would non-techie users expect anything different from their HA experience?

With the ā€œtarget audienceā€ being those less techie people the expectation should be that they should NEVER need to check the logsā€¦unless someone asks them to to get info on something that broke.

In a quick scan of the docs I canā€™t find anything there that mentions the logs should be something that needs checked frequently especially when everything is working.

There seems to be this weird dichotomy going on in which the ā€œtarget audienceā€ has almost no technical background and HA should run like an appliance and rarely need to be touched but as soon as something doesnā€™t work those same users get admonished because they havenā€™t looked in their logs to see why it doesnā€™t work and scolded because they should have somehow known to be pro-active and look in their logs for info on something that MIGHT break in the future - ā€œitā€™s right there in your logs. You should have seen it already and known it was coming.ā€

I only ever look in my logs very occasionally when something isnā€™t working right and Iā€™m a HA ā€œenthusiastā€ and I know I should and I know where to find them.

I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to scold someone for not noticing something buried in the logs if they donā€™t know to check the logs for something like that in the first place.

Not picking on you specifically, Kanga. I just saw your statement as an easy one to pick to reply to about this. Itā€™s always been kind of a generic mindset here.

4 Likes

On the other hand it has been announced in the blog that custom components would cease to work without a version number. Not hard to read the blog.

2 Likes

Yeah, and I think that is part of the problem. The product is being targeted at making it super simple for new users to install, setup and use - appliance like as you suggested, BUT, then updates come through that break things that this sort of user has no idea about.

I guess over the years Iā€™ve gotten into the habit of checking the logs all the time and trying to fix any little errors or address warnings. I probably do that 2-3 times a week.

Perhaps a persistent warning notification would be better suited to notify people?

All good, I take your points. :+1:

4 Likes

When was the last time you read a windows release notes/blog?

2 Likes

Windows is (supposedly) not beta software.

Besides, I donā€™t expect any technical excellence (or even ability) from microsoft, and I use windows as little as possible.

oh dear people would then get upset about a persistent notification being shown.

Whatever way its done it will irk some people, there isnā€™t any happy medium.

2 Likes

With HA if people have a problem and donā€™t check the logs (but expect magical help) and donā€™t read the release notes for breaking changes they they are going to have a very poor and frustrating user experience.

2 Likes

every patch tuesday.

Can you point me to where on the HA website it says that HA is Beta Software?

We all know it is.

1 Like

Yup, and that is what you see happening more and more in the forums.

Every release itā€™s like this.