2021.8.0: Feel the energy ⚡️

Hi Skully,

Me and a group of people ( in another thred, don’t remember where ) found out that this is an issue that happen a lot, not related to HA version ( i’m speaking about all previous version, did not try this one yet).

In fact each time Tradfri HUb got an update, it deconnect with HA.
You can either to go in the integration page and select tradfri, and click on ‘refresh’ OR restart HA.

I works for me each time it happens, even if, it’s a real issue to manage with on daily basis.

1 Like

This release is an awesome step forward! Congratulations.

I’ve quite some experience in the field of business intelligence & analytics (job-related). For personal usage, i’ve build an energy dashboard with aggregates by using TimescaleDB + Grafana. Based on this, i’ve had my share of issues too :wink: I’d like to share/validate some of my learnings:

• handle non-numeric values: especially with MQTT (retain=false), it is common to get database polution: status = “unavailable”. Are the Long term statistics (mean, min, max, etc.) correctly handling non-numeric values? Or will they start throwing errors/igoring certain time windows it that happens?
  • how is the long-term statistics handling time windows that are not finished yet? For example, for the daily mean of sensor x, when observing the current day, will it: a) show the mean value so-far, b) only show the value at the end of the day, c) something else?
  • how it the long term statistics handling retro-active changes in the underlying data?
1 Like

I am using IoTaWatt very successfully. Its a bit pricey, but it allows to monitor up to 14 phases! It uses an AC/AC adapter to measure phase shift, which makes it super accurate. My main phases were 0.7% off to what the utility company metered!

It is ESP32 based, I use it with the original firmware.

2 Likes

Just a question, I have some power monitoring devices from Tuya and Sonoff that report current, power and voltage but neither can be add as individual devices:

Do I need to create a new sensor with this integration or it’s a matter of waiting until my devices are properly configured through their respective custom integrations?

Edit: In case anyone have the same question, I’ve added the linked integration as follows:

- platform: integration
    source: sensor.ty065834582462ab43a2c4_2
    name: switch_agl_16a_consumption
    unit_prefix: k
    unit: kWh
    round: 2

Then waited for some data to collect and added it normally to the energy dashboard:

9 Likes

Having checked on a friends QNap with the previous Container Station version it looks like QNap have ballsed up…yet again…it appears to be bringing back the first 1000 results only.

(as an aside does the Docker hub really need to have al the older versions anymore - especially the dev and beta ones - could they not be moved to some sort of archive?)

For that ESPHome has to build/add support for Sirens as entities (which is currently does not).

1 Like

Tried setting up the energy panel using fixed prices per tariff, but it doesn’t seem to calculate the costs at the moment. Is this a bug?

Did an hour pass? Statistics are calculated once an hour.

1 Like

Hi,
has anyone else issues with Ambiclimate? I’m running “Home Assistant Operating System” in Proxmox and in 2021.8.0 the Ambiclimate devices are not available anymore. The climate.xxx entity just says unavailable. I tried to reinstall the integration, but then the device don’t appear at all anymore.
Now I restored my backup VM from 2021.7.3 and there everything is working fine - so looks like it’s not a problem with Ambiclimate itself, but with the integration in 2021.8.0

Does anyone else experiences issues here?

4 Likes

Ah, not yet! There was a lot of data the loaded in because I used the DSMR integration before this, figured it would calculate it instantly. Will wait for an hour, thanks!

I’d highly recommend a solution similar to TimeScale: How to ensure up-to-date results with Real-Time Aggregation

This ensure always-up-to-date data: it collects the already aggregated data from previous time intervals, and combines it with non-aggregated data from the latest open interval.

2 Likes

Is there a way to use the DSMR entities in the energy intergration panel? If i try i get the error message that entity not start with energy_

All my entities start with: sensor.dsmr_

Thanks, hope someone get the urge to make a siren component for ESP then :smiley:

I use p1mon on a Raspberry Pi to log the power consumption and then have a rest sensor in HA to parse the json. This unfortunately doesn’t show up as a usable entity in the new Energy dashboard. I tried adding ‘state_class=measurement’ as per the docs, but this isn’t supported for rest sensors.

Getting the following error for the new Yale Alarm integration:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: components/yale_smart_alarm/alarm_control_panel.py:91 
First occurred: 15:04:51 (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 15:04:51

Error setting up entry REDACTED USERNAME for alarm_control_panel
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 293, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alarm_control_panel/__init__.py", line 112, in async_setup_entry
    return await component.async_setup_entry(entry)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 149, in async_setup_entry
    platform = await async_prepare_setup_platform(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 329, in async_prepare_setup_platform
    platform = integration.get_platform(domain)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 498, in get_platform
    cache[full_name] = self._import_platform(platform_name)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 503, in _import_platform
    return importlib.import_module(f"{self.pkg_path}.{platform_name}")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1030, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 850, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/yale_smart_alarm/alarm_control_panel.py", line 86, in <module>
    class YaleAlarmDevice(CoordinatorEntity, AlarmControlPanelEntity):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/yale_smart_alarm/alarm_control_panel.py", line 91, in YaleAlarmDevice
    _attr_name: str = coordinator.entry.data[CONF_NAME]
NameError: name 'coordinator' is not defined

That is a bug, please report that on the issue tracker :+1:

Smooth update, no issues to report so far :+1:

Done - apologies, just wanted to flag on here as well in case others wanted to hold back from updating.

Very smooth update otherwise, top work again!

2 Likes

Great update, I just have problem with motion eye integration, now it wont show any entity, only the device. Everything is working great in the plugin

“The wled.preset service has been deprecated.” Can someone please explain what exactly I need to change? I read through the WLED docs and github but cannot find an example of what “support for an select entity that provides access to presets has been added”.