2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

Thank you for reverting to old colour scheme (to some extent). At least standard GUI binary sensors are now perceivable.
Could I politely ask, than any new funky colour schemes would be introduces as an additional theme. This should not mess people up and limit the backlash.

1 Like

Paul, could you answer these questions:

1. Is there a theme variable for ā€œunknown stateā€ - icon, history? Cannot find it here.

2. What is a current progress for transparent history for ā€œunavailableā€ - are there any plans to rectify observations from ā€œHistory-graph: do not make a graph for ā€œunavailableā€ sensor transparentā€ issue?
    It was mentioned in the issue:
    ā€“ absence of a graph treated by many people as a bug;
    ā€“ even if a label ā€œunavailableā€ will be added on the transparent graph - it will not be noticeable;
    ā€“ will not be possible to distinguish ā€œunavailableā€ case & ā€œdoes not existā€ case;
    ā€“ since icon color = history color for all states, it is inconsistent to use different colors for ā€œunavailableā€ - it is better to use a themeable variable for ā€œunavailableā€ for icon & history.

3. Are there any plans to refactor the freshly added variables from ā€œ255,255,255ā€ format to conventional CSS formats like ā€œrgba(255,255,255,0.9)ā€, ā€œ#ffffffā€, ā€œredā€? (the ā€œInconsistency with defining colors in a default themeā€ issue was closed by you).

4. Are there any plans to restore different colors for zones in history? Check the ā€œDifferent zones in History have same colorā€ issue.

@piitaya , sorry for tagging you in the post to get your attention.

the problem is of course the following:

green => unarmed
red => armed
and whatā€™s with ā€œalarmingā€ ?

If your Alarm panel would be Armed (red) and then an alarm will be active, it is hardly to recognize.
Btwā€¦ that would also be the case, if we have multiple states with the same color (as it is right now)

Probably OK:

state-lock-jammed-color: '#F44336' # Red
  state-lock-locked-color: '#4CAF50' # Green
  state-lock-pending-color: '#FF9800' # Orange
  state-lock-unlocked-color: '#F44336' # Red

Arming and Unarming would be OKā€¦
Armed / triggered - in combination with the other alarm devices (red => triggered) is probably a bad choice.

state-alarm-armed-color: '#F44336' # Red
  state-alarm-arming-color: '#FF9800' # Orange
  state-alarm-disarmed-color: '#4CAF50' # Green
  state-alarm-pending-color: '#FF9800' # Orange
  state-alarm-triggered-color: '#F44336' # Red

I would consider an darker orange color tone for ā€œarmedā€ā€¦
This would indicate, that it is not ā€œgreenā€ => safe to open - but also no alarm has been triggered

But this would collide then again with ā€œarmingā€ / ā€œpendingā€

There is a pulsing animation for triggered. We should add that to jammed for lock too.

3 Likes

I am actually considering orange for armed but I need to be alone in the house before I test the alarm triggered mode.

I believe it flashes when triggered

Yes, triggered alarm flashes the red icon (what Paul meant with ā€œpulsingā€ in his comment). You can see all of that in action here: Home Assistant Design

3 Likes

Based on that, automations which are on should also have a different icon colour. (As well as the other domains I mentioned in my previous post) So unless someone can say their entities card is working fine I will open an issue on GitHubā€¦

My automations in ā€œonā€ and ā€œoffā€ state are correctly colored in yellow as per the design page. Cannot spot anything wrong here.

1 Like

have you enabled the option to show the state color?
grafik

For me, everything is working as expected (Iā€™ve changed the colors)

1 Like

Quite right guys. I use yaml and I did not have the state_color set to true . However, this may mean that the light domain is not following that setting as my light entities do have the icon change colour. Is that by design?

probably depends on the card type you are using for these.
Or - how the entities-card has been setup once :slight_smile:

Yes, lights are the hardcoded exception (has been that way since ā€¦ like forever :slight_smile: ).

We just had a discussion about that today in PR because I had also forgotten about that: Ensure consistent light state icon brightness by spacegaier Ā· Pull Request #14740 Ā· home-assistant/frontend Ā· GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! Back to the sidelines for me :grin:

According to data published by NEI in 2015, only about 4% of population are actually affected by red-green blindness when accounting for a combined male and female population. I believe a majority of the other 96% of users would prefer a standard red/green binary in HA (colors which have proven successful for vehicular traffic needs). The ability to independently theme and add additional state indicators is available for those who differ.

Itā€™s acceptable for traffic lights because which light is on can also be differentiated by position. If you canā€™t see the colors you can still know that the top light being on means stop and the bottom light means go. Hence my comment:

(Added emphasis)

Iā€™m seeing 8% of men and 0.5% of women more now (I may have accidently read that as 8 and 5 the first time). Hard to know for sure since not all statistics come from good data. Even if itā€™s only 4 or 5% thatā€™s still 1 in 20 or 1 in 25 which is a lot of people to alienate. In general the preference is either donā€™t use red and green or ensure there is some other way to visually differentiate for those that canā€™t differentiate those colors.

Or let people easily customize. Then everyone can be happy.

4 Likes

First thanks for all the changes that have been made this release as a result of the feedback here.

Second - thatā€™s not really how people use red and green (or whatever other combination of colours people use).

Generally itā€™s about state, what is dangerous and what is not.

Lock: Locked = Green, itā€™s safe. Red is unlocked.
Door: Closed = Green, itā€™s safe. Red is open.

Alarm is tricky - itā€™s generally accepted though, that Red means armed. Whether that is an alarm, or a bomb. I guess it makes sense - because itā€™s telling you that YOU might set the alarm off if you open a door or trigger a motion sensor. Green means itā€™s safe to move around.

Itā€™s basically the same as a traffic light - Red is Stop, Green is Go. Or the system they use on the Running Man to stop the prisoners from trying to escape. Green = your head wonā€™t blow up if you pass this point.

3 Likes

If we are trying to use color blindness to justify what colors (or not) to use then it isnā€™t just about red/green.

yellow/blue color blindness is also a thing and according to the National Eye Institute it also affects purple and red, and yellow and pink.

The list of acceptable colors keeps getting smaller and smaller. :wink:

maybe we should completely forgo icons and colors and just use words ( I know of a certain button row set that does both - shameless plug :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

Problem solved.

unless you are dyslexic. Or blind. Well, darn.

/sarcasm

But isnā€™t armed in a ā€œsafeā€ state? So it should be green when armed to let you know itā€™s in a ā€œsafeā€ condition. Just like the example of your locked lock or closed door.

I personally think green is armed (safe), yellow is unarmed (warning) and red is triggered (unsafe).

UX problems solved.

4 Likes

Itā€™s true. Red green is the most common kind of colorblindness but hardly the only one. Itā€™s why comments like this one suggest a more serious problem to me:

Color should not be the only way to differentiate this information, thatā€™s not very accessible.

I mean I donā€™t disagree. I use your UI components all over. I am a huge fan of the button rows. Definitely prefer them to sliders and tiles.

Anyway Iā€™ll back out now. I donā€™t really care about my UI all that much so Iā€™ll leave this to those that do. It just always bothered me that HA seems to use red green everywhere when thatā€™s basically accessibility issues 101.

1 Like

Color and theme are very dependant on personal preference and use. One default solution is unlikely to fit everyoneā€™s preference or use case.

I do think it would be nice to be able to select a few default color preferences in general settings (a selector with "original colors, accessable colors, phone theme colors, custom colors). Custom colors could point to documentation on how to configure your own preferences.