2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

hardly lazy…

‘they’ already added the vertical option as was suggested/requested by me only 1 day ago…

1 Like

i already used it in a vertical stack of Tiles :slight_smile:
… that’s where the Hide_State came in , thou i fixed it with margins -x for the mosttile

EDIT: And i see now that the dashboard/tile Doc have changed (slightly) since i last had a look :slight_smile:
Seems like Pauls Mushrooms is coming as “features” now , Cool

Like many new to HA I’ve learnt a lot from reading forum posts on similar experiences; and I guess I’ve learnt yaml from looking at code generated from the UI without always (ever) fully understanding things through documentation (I do try).

The mention here of the tile card highlights, perhaps, what many new users might find helpful in that it has an appearance section allowing UI selection of Icon and Color; which perhaps can be considered as default being over-written by user choice.

If compared to (say) the Entities card individual items “settings” this appears to be the home for new features such as aliases and other advanced settings; plus it already allows for editing Icons and Show as.
Can’t help but think the rapid strides made with UI and thus lowering the bar for new users; such an ability to make personal choices through such means would seem an excellent means to show-case the flexibility of these new colour features etc.

I personally know that the means to change my opened cover (blinds) icons from purple is no-doubt fully detailed and explained in above posts but the ability for me to have actually accomplished that continues to elude me - for now. In the meantime the “colour of choice” in the tile card is a reminder of powerful advantages to the new user of the UI.

I do wonder on the technical practicalities of such a feature and can but hope it might well be in the pipeline (by the looks of how the UI is evolving).

I don’t need my cover icon to be a different colour than purple; but in a sea of amber it stood out and I thought it a means to an end to learn a bit more. I’ve learnt a lot from all the comments above and I’m likely to get there in the end (which is half the fun!!) but having a simple choice of what colour I might want covers in my HA instance (ala Tile card) would be something I imagine many (new) users would welcome.

I may pluck up courage to put this in as a feature request or await 2023 Month of WTH; most everything else I’ve come across I’m a long way down the line of others been there and paved the way. My thanks to all that have and continue to develop and offer guidance (above and elsewhere). I’m enjoying the fruits of many peoples labour with the current maturity of HA I’m very much aware.

since the developer of mushroom is one of the frontend devs and created the tile card, it was somehow clear that the tile will get at least most of the features :wink:

I’m pretty sure that such a color selector will also be introduced at some point.
They’ve just started with introducing more colors in the december releases… they already did a great job to make them “editable” without dealing too much with undocumented variables.

OK - the solution they’ve now implemented is - what it should have been in the first place - but finally we came to this state - which is the baseline to any further implementation that could follow :slight_smile:

True, thou i didn’t see it coming as features, i was more thinking new native cards ( and most likely therefore abandon of some “old” ) … anyhow , i like it … as long as i know where to find information, if i(something) would require it … The new Vertical Option was/came actually as a WTH, when i was about to edit another tile … got me confused, whether i was dealing with a tile, or actually a mushroom ( but color/icon_color revealed that ) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

so… I replaced some old cards with tiles - and now, I could really could require the ability to define colors not on domain and device_class level but on entity level :smiley:

color: red … under entity: isn’t that on entity-level ?

Tile: Undocumented feature ?, would be nice to use on other than " % " or " battery ", also to know where is the “levels” defined ?
tile_bat

Edit: one reason i wonder is , i think it’s on *.battery it’s defined somewhere in backend, thou if i would like this on i.e. humid-sensors ? ( native-ha-card ), … then obviously i wanted it RED above i.e 85%

EDIT_2: Which in turn made me think about a FR … threshold(s) … Adding i.e “up to” 3-4 thresholds to a sensor ( secretly addressed to Paul ) :laughing:

the color options only work for some device types (like batteries, and so on - and) binary_sensors that have two states…

On all other sensors, you can’t (yet) define colors at all.
That’s maybe something that will come some time - but I would not expect it to be too soon.

right now, there is (as far as I understand the documentation) no way to define color on a specific entity level…

“color red” - yes, that’s entity level for the tile card, but it does not allow me to define the color independent to it’s state (what I wanted to acheive in this case was to set up the same color as the other tiles have when it is inactive)… if I would use that for domain (light_…) it would affect all other light entities as well.

Ok, so it’s not only me who have been struggling to figure out how it works( or whether it works) , anyways i have not come so far yet , with my “totally” makeover !, as you earlier did i just decided mid January to start on a “fresh”
So i did have other things(setups) to “try-out”, but now im back to ha-VMware on windows , but starting on a clean, fresh install, so far i only have handful cards somehow in the ways i’ve want it, and some of these have no tiles or needs for specific color-setup . mainly do to that fact !, that i “messed around” trying various setup of tile/mushroom/custom:cards( many who wont reconice Tile as a card/entity “Unknown type encountered: tile”), but was about to go insane :laughing: , so im currently focusing on the cards that don’t needs to much “special care” … hopefully it leads to less custom:cards , lower footprint and long lasting restful nights :slight_smile:

any progress on the zone history colors?

1 Like

Im still confused, dont remember which is which, and one is way to big, the 1 you can’t change size on (make smaller) not sure what that one is good for as it’s way out of my premises , so i wouldn’t call that one “Home”, and the other little one i guess you could call that “the center of my universe” :slight_smile: , and yes it’s a damn ugly “Map” also … Edit: Meaning it’s not made for people living outside bigger cities, here’s is no buildings on the map in a radios of 20km or so, seems like it is as it “states” — Street Map , thou the small blue line is a River

well i managed to get the few things changed back to proper colors for my taste. Thanks for the link @Mariusthvdb

Does anyone know what the difference between where “styles.ts” is used as opposed to “ha-style.ts”?

They have some overlapping style definitions but also lots of different definitions between them.

looks like ha-styles is for the cards, and .styles.ts is for UI … or how i should say it :slight_smile:

edit: which one has highest priority, i don’t know, thou interesting, as i never looked to “deep” at them, and mostly the ha-style

1 Like

@piitaya I’ve submitted a PR to give the option to disable RGB tracking for light entity icons: Provide an option to disable icon colouring based on light RGB state by Flavien · Pull Request #15341 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

This way they can fall back to state-light-active-color.

Try to "play " with this

- type: tile
    color: amber
    vertical: true
    entity: x.same.entity
    card_mod:
      style: |
        ha-card {
          --tile-color: blue;
        }
  - type: tile
    color: red
    vertical: true
    entity: x.same.entity

---------------------------
And this one, specific for the icon

:host {
        --card-mod-icon-color: black;
        } 

i know, not “native” solution, but it should work( works for me )

new blue, is grey :wink: … edit ( #9e9e9e; )

PS: yeah i know, i only tested it on “switch-entity” …

How about multiple colors, like blue at day and orange at night?
I use an other theme for the night.

yes, I’ve done it with Card-Mod.
But at the end - personally, I would prefer an “out of the box” option :wink:

1 Like