2022.2: Let's start streamlining!

Nope, and it seems patience was the key. After mowing the lawn, the update was completed successfully it seems. Haven’t tested everything yet, but the basics seem OK.

Thanks.

It was mentioned in the release notes. Some devices had an identify button added to assist with distinguishing them. This is most helpful with lights.

The file name you posted starts with the device make/name, and ends with identify.

I don’t think there is a way to remove it, but you can disable it.

It can quickly get heated, especially in such release note threads. As long as we all can calm down eventually and refrain from attacking each other personally no harm is done.

That aside, feel free to join the beta and help out by providing feedback early on. The more the merrier.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve joined the beta, reloaded Supervisor and look forward to what’s coming down the pike.

Are the beta versions noted as such when an update appears in Configuration? I assume I can choose to skip versions as in the stable channel? Right now Configuration says OS 7.3 is available, but when I click on it, it says No update available for Home Assistant Operating System. Actually, I think I’ve experienced that before with the last OS update. Cheers.

1 Like

When you want edit Lovelace and press on the EDIT Button of a card, the popup to change things is not working in Safari. (Cleared my cache, reboot HA didn’t work). It work in Firefox
Before this update it worked correctly

1 Like

I do like the new release a lot. So many improvements. I’d like to encourage people to join the beta next time: it helps you, it helps the developpers, it helps the community. And you can watch the funny cat gifs in the discord beta channel :joy::wink: Just don’t forget to make a proper backup of your system upfront.

1 Like

Currently there is no beta running. According to schedule it starts a week before the release.

There are a number of buttons now for stuff like rebooting a device.

What state do you think such a button should have?

Absolutely understandable and absolutely correctly recognized!

And as you can see well, you are already “admonished” the usual suspect here. I bet two, three more comments and you will be banned here.

1 Like

Seems t me if it’s a button associated with an operational device then it should be in the on (operational) state

Really, you’re going to start this conversation up after everyone was asked to stop? Please step away. These arguments are useless.

6 Likes

then it should be in the on (operational) state

Then it would be a switch, not a button.

Think about a doorbell. What state should the button have? It’s not on or off. It’s just a button. How about a reboot button? What state should that have?

Pure electrotechnically seen (not with a software developer eyes, but an mechanical eyes):

Not pushed is OFF, pushed is ON. :wink:

1 Like

I think you’re on the wrong forum :yum:

Maybe its software developers, who play with mechanical things gliding away from reality :stuck_out_tongue:

Switch = 2 positions, stays always in position moved to manually. States ON / OFF
Toggle = 2 positions, stays always in position moved to manually. States ON A / ON B
Button = 2 positions, returns automatically to position, when not pushed. States pushed ON / untouched OFF
Inverted Button = 2 positions, returns automatically to position, when not pushed. States pushed OFF / untouched ON

If software developers will strictly respect this logic, discussions like this would not be necessary.
None mechanical device has a UNKNOWN state, that only appears in software, when the current state is not being read. The switch itself does not have such state. Never. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

What happens when the device that is on disconnects, turns off, then reconnects And doesn’t report its state?

We can detect it disconnecting, we can detect it reconnecting. But we don’t know the state. So what would the state be? Mind you this device doesn’t have a way for us to update its state on the fly either.

This is how you end up with an unknown state.

2 Likes

How are the Aqaras connected? Via dongle or bridge? Aqara have a physical button function to check if the devices react so maybe it’s related to this.

Well, HA is software. If it has no way to ask the button/switch/toggle what is its state, it’s unknown to it.
Think about a blind person entering a room. He cannot tell if the light is ON or OFF unless something/someone tells him, so the state is UNKNOWN as far as he is concerned.

But we’re talking about buttons here. Don’t think of it as a mechanical button. Just think of it as a means of using the UI to send a command. Once the command has been sent the button’s job is done. If you look at buttons in the UI they say “PRESS”, not ON or OFF - because they don’t have a state (well other than the last time it was pressed).

Switches and toggles already exist and have their place. The button does something different and has it’s place.

And that is maybe exactly, where the problem starts.

I fully understand the reasons, software makers introduce the UNKNOWN state, and I’m not fighting against it. It is just a easy way to solve a problem, started by exactly that: No way to ask.

Much harder, but actually the better way will be - always have a way to ask. I know, it is impossible for HA devs to do that, because they deal with product of third parties.

It will be nice, all is it utopia, when any device on the planet will be ready to answer that question… :slight_smile:

1 Like