2023.12 Ping integration changes & scan_interval

Which is why in my node red version above I don’t consider myself away until I’ve had more than 5 unrequited pings!

2 Likes

Im

Im going to try this tonight, this whole situation is so rubbish. What did they think would happen LOL

1 Like

Can you post the nodes when you get a second :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hope this works:

[{"id":"c8d39d214d1229ca","type":"ping","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","protocol":"Automatic","mode":"timed","name":"Ping GS","host":"192.168.0.12","timer":"1","inputs":0,"x":80,"y":100,"wires":[["c8e8b208d2e5afb1"]]},{"id":"c8e8b208d2e5afb1","type":"switch","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Reply?","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"0","vt":"num"},{"t":"neq","v":"0","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":2,"x":240,"y":100,"wires":[["cddd7e669251f425"],["f73bfc4e63b1d7e8","526cbb27d68ec90b"]]},{"id":"cddd7e669251f425","type":"counter","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"","init":"0","step":"1","lower":null,"upper":null,"mode":"increment","outputs":"1","x":400,"y":60,"wires":[["dbc93e1efb2dd57b"]]},{"id":"f73bfc4e63b1d7e8","type":"api-current-state","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Already set?","server":"2c403dc8.07c262","version":3,"outputs":2,"halt_if":"home","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","entity_id":"device_tracker.my_phone","state_type":"str","blockInputOverrides":false,"outputProperties":[],"for":"0","forType":"num","forUnits":"minutes","override_topic":false,"state_location":"payload","override_payload":"msg","entity_location":"data","override_data":"msg","x":410,"y":200,"wires":[[],["4afe7597d2a4984c"]]},{"id":"526cbb27d68ec90b","type":"change","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Reset counter","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"reset","pt":"msg","to":"reset","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":460,"y":140,"wires":[["cddd7e669251f425"]]},{"id":"dbc93e1efb2dd57b","type":"switch","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"> 5","property":"count","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"gt","v":"5","vt":"num"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":1,"x":550,"y":60,"wires":[["286040686f77b805"]]},{"id":"4afe7597d2a4984c","type":"api-call-service","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Set GS phone Home","server":"2c403dc8.07c262","version":5,"debugenabled":false,"domain":"device_tracker","service":"see","areaId":[],"deviceId":[],"entityId":[],"data":"{\"dev_id\":\"my_phone\",\"location_name\":\"home\"}","dataType":"json","mergeContext":"","mustacheAltTags":false,"outputProperties":[],"queue":"none","x":620,"y":200,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"286040686f77b805","type":"api-current-state","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Already set?","server":"2c403dc8.07c262","version":3,"outputs":2,"halt_if":"Away","halt_if_type":"str","halt_if_compare":"is","entity_id":"device_tracker.my_phone","state_type":"str","blockInputOverrides":false,"outputProperties":[],"for":"0","forType":"num","forUnits":"minutes","override_topic":false,"state_location":"payload","override_payload":"msg","entity_location":"data","override_data":"msg","x":710,"y":60,"wires":[[],["83bf479f5bab6d8e"]]},{"id":"83bf479f5bab6d8e","type":"api-call-service","z":"9e93b22b9c7f38db","name":"Set GS phone away","server":"2c403dc8.07c262","version":5,"debugenabled":false,"domain":"device_tracker","service":"see","areaId":[],"deviceId":[],"entityId":[],"data":"{\"dev_id\":\"my_phone\",\"location_name\":\"Away\"}","dataType":"json","mergeContext":"","mustacheAltTags":false,"outputProperties":[],"queue":"none","x":920,"y":60,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"2c403dc8.07c262","type":"server","name":"Home Assistant","version":5,"addon":true,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true,"cacheJson":true,"heartbeat":false,"heartbeatInterval":30,"areaSelector":"friendlyName","deviceSelector":"friendlyName","entitySelector":"friendlyName","statusSeparator":"at: ","statusYear":"hidden","statusMonth":"short","statusDay":"numeric","statusHourCycle":"h23","statusTimeFormat":"h:m","enableGlobalContextStore":true}]

Hey thanks for posting that :slight_smile:

Wont get to try till the weekend now, ill let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slow day at work lol, checking this out.

{“dev_id”:“my_phone”,“location_name”:“home”}

Can you explain this when you get a sec? Am I just changing the my_phone to the device tracker entity?

Ta

Yes. That will update the entity device-tracker.my_phone to home. That entity has to exist for the Already set? nodes to work correctly otherwise the flow stops there. I created a new entity for this by calling the Device Tracker:See service using the Developer Tools but you won’t need to do this if you use an existing entity (an alternative way to create the entity would be to edit the flow temporarily to skip the Already set? node so the entity is created by node red).

1 Like

You could also wait 13 days, join the beta, and then use consider_home

Or restore 2023.11

This counts as data useage. Not a problem if your plan includes “unlimited data”.

But I still want to ping once a second. At this point I might as well put together something that can’t be taken away again. Who knows what restrictions might be put on consider_home in the future! Plus by it not being in configuration.yaml I can tweak to my hearts delight without restarting HA.

1 Like

I wasn’t replying to you.

I’m pinging my phone’s local (fixed) IP address over WiFi. It’s not using any mobile data.

I appreciate that and I should have replied more generally, I clicked the wrong Reply button. I did want to explain why I won’t be using consider_home. I’ve had my hands burnt once, I don’t want them burnt again.

That’s great, but please keep me out of the loop. Thanks.

Could you expand on this a little bit? I am waiting for 2024.1 in order to re-implement ping (config flow) with consider_home. For the time being I’m on 2023.11 with YAML ping.

Why are you not too keen on that?

I used the scan_interval parameter but that’s no longer available and, as this thread attests, has frustrated many people. There’s lots of spurious arguments about it being used to hammer third party services (I’d love to know the stats on that). To be fair, we were warned it was going to go but I, along with many others, had missed that warning. There’s been nothing in Repairs warning us this was going. And bang it’s gone!

I had no option but to make a change. I decided to use NodeRed’s ping (how long before those who know better than us remove that??!!) to completely replace the ping platform and, as a side-effect, I needed to have a form of consider_home (which is more a consider_away!). One advantage of doing it this way is that I can tweak my parameters easily and just restart the flow rather than reloading/restarting HA.

In theory, whatever further changes might be made by the developers, my implementation should be safe.

Sorry for the long-winded reply and semi-rant!

[Btw, I still haven’t upgraded to 2023.12. I’ve read a few worrying comments on issues with ZigBee and, as I use a lot of ZigBee, I want to be sure I’ll be ok before upgrading.]

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing.

1 Like

There should be a list of stuff that is “going away” with deprecation date and final date (with links to the announcements). Then people could check regularly instead of having to remember.

7 Likes

Because this really sucks!!!

I don’t know how many people are in the same boat as me. But right now, most of my automations are broken. Almost all of them rely on pinging peoples phones to see if they are home so things like aircon and lights don’t start on their own, if, lets say the vacuum or a piece of dust triggers the sensors. Or to run sleep automations… or all the others… The is absolutely a disaster for me and Im sure there are some out there there like me.

It’s super upsetting that some ham fisted dev didn’t think this through before forcing everyone to use a half implemented crap show.

Sorry, I know they are doing this for free. But this has broken so much for me. SO if I can move this to somewhere where someone cant break it for me in the future. Id love to know about that.