2023.6 Network share not connecting with ASUS Router

Using the new network share isnt working for me. Ive tried all sorts of settings, but nothing…

Using ASUS Samba share - router address 192.168.1.1

The share is visible in Windows 10:

Using the network dialogue:

Ive tried nas/hassio, hassio, /hassio…etc

Ive tried with guest on and off, using correct password / login and also leaving it empty. Im lost for ideas as nothing appears to connect.
I cant locate any logged errors in the router interface.
Any suggestions or point out where Im going wrong?

Did you check you host logs for errors, like the message says?

Settings → System → Logs then select “Host” from the drop-down list top right of the page.

Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant systemd[1]: mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-ASUS.mount: Failed to open /run/systemd/transient/mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-ASUS.mount: No such file or directory
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant systemd[1]: Mounting Supervisor cifs mount: ASUS...
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\192.168.1.1\hassio
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant mount[271135]: mount error(22): Invalid argument
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant mount[271135]: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant systemd[1]: mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-ASUS.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant systemd[1]: mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-ASUS.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 09 03:48:12 homeassistant systemd[1]: Failed to mount Supervisor cifs mount: ASUS.

back slash ? \

I am also having the same issues with setting this feature up on my Asus Router. I’ll check the logs and share findings.

3 Likes

Any luck on this?

I am having the same issue as well trying to mount my HDD connected to my Asus router logs are the same as well.

Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\192.168.8.1\HomeAssistant (at Backup)
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant mount[1281633]: mount error(22): Invalid argument
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant mount[1281633]: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant systemd[1]: mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-HA.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant systemd[1]: mnt-data-supervisor-mounts-HA.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun 15 00:10:06 homeassistant systemd[1]: Failed to mount Supervisor cifs mount: HA.

Im having extactly the same problem, no problem from other OS to mount, but doesnt work in HA, not even in terminal. I can mount my Qnap NAS in HA, but not my Asus USB drive… Can it be something compability mode issue?

It’s case sensitive so NAS/hassio would be the correct path.
Other than that you need to make sure it support SMB 2.1 (or newer).

In terminal, if i add vers=1.0 it works… And with vers=2.0, but higher i get errors… So asus must use an older version of cifs…

I have submitted a support ticket at ASUS, i have a brand new RT-AX88U…

Yeah… do not expect them to change that anytime soon. Instead of adding the proper binaries needed to run it securely, they created an FAQ on how to work around it on Windows https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/.

Can you provide the full command please?

Merlin adds support for SMB2.0 on ASUS. Has anyone tried that? I added it but still having issues. Not sure if that is just because of me failing in another way.

Also, yes, what is the command or where is the documentation on it?

For anyone looking for a fix 2023.7 allows you to connect to older SMB protocols, I tested with my RT-AC3100 running Merlin and it was able to connect fine. You have to try connecting once, when it fails the option to use the legacy versions of SMB become visible and you can set it there.