2024.10: Heading in the right direction

Hmm, have got a new time killer for fixing this:

Not sure if this improvement was really needed.
In many places plurals are not used:

1 Like

exact same problem, on core install

reverting to 2024.9.3 it’s a possible workaround

Maybe we should put /srv/homeassistant/bin in the $PATH in the SystemD unit.
Or simply create an issue to see what solution could be found in fact.

I see the headings have been made plural. Is the triggers portion still a logical or between multiple possible triggers or is there the ability to make them an and. I get you can use conditions but if you want to have something happen when three things are true, I have to make 3 different automations, each with a different trigger and then in the conditions I have an AND for both remaining triggers I want to be true in addition to what triggered.

Theoretically, with an AND, each true trigger would have it wait until all triggers are true and then run your automation.

Core installation here. Many errors like “Unable to install package home-assistant-frontend==20241002.2: error: No Python interpreters found in virtual environments” in HA log on startup after pip install -U :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s changed the workings of the automation sections…just the semantics.

For your automation can you not create just one with…three triggers for each of your “things you want true” so it triggers on any of them being true and then one condition which specifies that each of your “things you want true” have to be true…so any of the three things can trigger but condition only allows automation to proceed if all are true…
Off topic here so maybe post to a new thread and one of the more clever people than me will jump in no doubt…

Core installation.
FileNotFound errors looking for uv.
All my esphome devices stop working.
Reverting back to 2024.9.3

No need to “fix”, as mentioned in the release notes the old keywords will continue to work.

2 Likes

Nothing changed. Triggers remain or.

1 Like

No, fix is needed to keep a code consistent with a new syntax.
The code may be passed to some other person who has no idea about old syntax.

1 Like

All of the following fail to start for me:

• hildebrandglow_dcc
  • alexa_media
  • uptime_kuma
  • monitor_docker
  • esxi_stats
  • watchman
  • pirateweather
  • eufy_security

In the log file I get lots of messages like “Unable to install package… failed to create file /tmp/uv-…lock”

Going to have to revert back to 2024.9.3

Running HA in Docker, and using the venv setup to run as a specific user.

Should be converted automagically when hitting Save according to the release notes:

“Automations managed by the automation editor will automatically be migrated to the new syntax when saving an automation”

Still core install, tried several things :

• uv in global (instead of venv) : finds uv but can’t install packages at run time
  • install HA in venv with uv pip install … same error
  • install HA as a uv “tool” with uv tool install homeassistant : HA will not even start

Reverting to 2024.9.3 and will try again tomorrow after reading this thread !

2 Likes

In all my yaml packages ?)))

No dude, the post makes it pretty clear. Automation editor, so UI automations only.

Your original point of “The code may be passed to some other person who has no idea about old syntax.” led me to assume that a reasonable person would create their automation in the UI while pasting the code in yaml.

“Dude”, ofc I understand that this is about UI-driven automations only.
Means - your statement about “automagically converted” is not related to yaml-config.

Why do you think so? ))) Many many many users use yaml as the basic way.
And automations may be passed to another setup along with other yaml-defined entities as a package.

Edited my comment to clarify while you were typing. Check again please.

Oh yes, this was ABSOLUTELY needed! I started using Home Assistant in the era of:

condition:
  condition: or
  conditions:
    - condition:

And between this new syntax and the previously implemented condition shorthands, I think I’m FINALLY getting to the point where I don’t need to look it up everytime I code it!

So thank you thank you thank you thank you to all the developers for the ongoing quality-of-life improvements.

10 Likes

One more core installation that is spewing FileNotFound errors into the log looking for uv. Successfully rolled back to 2024.9.3.

Welcome, I am not saying that I hate/dislike this change - I only do not consider it as important.
Ofc using plurals makes the code more logical - like we say “views” & “cards” in lovelace.