2024.5: Just a little bit smaller

I’m glad you said near impossible :wink:

I’ve had a couple of very painful days restoring backups in the past - the CLI worked but of course you have no idea if anything is happening (hours pass…) which is fairly terrifying (there’s a feature req open for progress on this one with more than a few votes - yes I know you can poll the supervisor constantly but it’s tedious and not really the same thing). I have definitely had a completely broken system though but this was on my Pi4 (SSD) and the backup did (eventually) save my bum. Having gone through it I decided a minipc and proxmox were on my agenda just so I could have the simplicty of an image based backup solution (and, oh, the speed!). I still use the GDrive addon for HA backups so it’s belt and braces but I now am happy to try and new release knowing I can step back with a click.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I had the same issue I had last time.
The solution was the same, restart Home Assistant and this second attempt was the right one.

My log in the case it could be useful:

"Home Assistant log
2024-05-02 14:02:19.398 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration livebox which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-02 14:02:19.399 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-02 14:02:19.400 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration pollens which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant
2024-05-02 14:05:31.264 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setup timed out for stage 1 waiting on set() - moving forward
2024-05-02 14:05:34.701 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.frame] Detected that custom integration 'hacs' accesses hass.components.frontend. This is deprecated and will stop working in Home Assistant 2024.9, it should be updated to import functions used from frontend directly at custom_components/hacs/frontend.py, line 68: hass.components.frontend.async_register_built_in_panel(, please create a bug report at https://github.com/hacs/integration/issues
2024-05-02 14:05:58.612 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration default_config - received exception
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError
2024-05-02 14:05:58.615 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration esphome - received exception
2024-05-02 14:05:58.615 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration switchbot - received exception
2024-05-02 14:05:58.615 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration shelly - received exception
2024-05-02 14:05:58.615 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Error setting up integration bluetooth_adapters - received exception
2024-05-02 14:05:59.124 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.frame] Detected that custom integration 'hacs' accesses hass.helpers.event. This is deprecated and will stop working in Home Assistant 2024.11, it should be updated to import functions used from event directly at custom_components/hacs/base.py, line 630: self.hass.helpers.event.async_track_time_interval(, please create a bug report at https://github.com/hacs/integration/issues

I don’t want to revert to 2024.4 while it is working now but I really think I will apply what @bdraco replied for the next month update.

I hope it’s just an oversight because the devs forgot the main electricity panel as well…
That said, it is indeed a very nice feature.

1 Like

Just a warning for the ones using Tuya Local, unfortunately this release affect Tuya Local 2024.5 (even Tuya Local 2025.5.1 is not resolving it at least for me). After a reboot you need to reload each device one by one within the integration.

I should say thanks to the new options to select all devices add a label at once … create an automation to reload them all based on this label and this with one click :slight_smile:

Not really an oversight, just started with the individual devices as their names are much more prominent on the dashboard, since it affects the display of multiple charts. Other sources only appear in the table, so are less of an issue.

Doing the same for energy and gas and water and batteries would have been 5x as much work in the initial PR.

But if that’s a thing that gets a lot of community interest, could maybe look at expanding it in the future.

2 Likes

If you are having instability caused by an integration, please see the guide here:

4 Likes

tbh, because those are not displayed inside the graph data, they seem much less prominent.

What I would still love to be able to do however, is customize the entities in the detailed view. the number (eg the m,x 10 consumers), but even more so, limit the detailed view to a selection of entities.

I am aware we can set the number in yaml in standalone the card, (which btw also inherits those name edits I now see)

type: energy-devices-detail-graph
max_devices: 10

but it would be great if we also could do the entity selection? And in the energy panel for both…

1 Like

Changes for Traccar:

Status & battery_level are incorrect (and become correct again after a manual reloading the integration).
Unfortunately, some problems cannot be fixed even by a reloading: binary_sensors becomes “unknown” due to a wrong design.

As I couldnt really automate my main electric teller , I did it at each line in the breaker box , so I have 9 sources with long and unfriendly names (easy solution , no labels in the graph) .
So if display name is expanded to energy sources, I would be pleased (No hurry at all)

I have problems with 2024.5.0 also, i had to revert to the version before. My system was slow, the webpage wasn’t there and i had a lot of problems to work with the ha cli. at weekend i will do it again and try to investigate the cause.

1 Like

Here same. Everythinks is slow and stucks. Go back to 2024.4.4 everythinks is fine except the downgrade erros.

1 Like

After removing the dreame custom integration and updating spook the update went fine. The dreame custom integration was somewhere mentioned as a possible cause of the problem.

I can’t say in detail what was wrong, i’m happy it works.

1 Like

Incompatible with HASS.Agent

I see references above to this update breaking notifications via the HASS.Agent, but it also breaks ability to use HASS.Agent as a media player.

When upgrading to 2024.5 it progressed through boot to a point and then crashed hard, and the CLI stopped responding…

Given that HASS.Agent is pretty much abandoned at this point, I don’t think there is going to be much support to get it working again :frowning: That repo hasn’t been updated in 2+ years.

upgrading doesn’t cause a boot… somethings off with your comment. CLI will work with a keyboard & mouse and monitor connected.

There’s already a workaround fix for hass agent

I’ve upgraded and reverted three or four times now…I install the upgrade from the GUI as normal. At some point in the upgrade the connection lost message appears at the bottom of the screen (again, as you would expect), then the sequence of starting integrations starts and runs until eventually HASS crashes. The same thing happens if I power cycle the box.

After the crash, anything that was running (e.g. Samba) stops working, and the CLI stops taking input from the keyboard, when it did prior to the crash.

I have tested the CLI failure several times, and it is reproducible.

1 Like

I found the same thing - it didn’t generate any of the thread safe errors when I enabled debugging, but when I disabled it I was able to upgrade successfully.

1 Like