230V WiFi Thermostat

Hi. I have been searching quite a while and can’t find a thermostat that fits to my needs.

• Must be able to switch 230V (on - opens valve of floor heating, off - closes valve)
  • WiFi
  • Local HA integration
  • Powered by circuit and not battery (neutral wire existent)
  • Must fit into standard EU outlet
  • Price tag around 50€ as I need 7-8 of those (one for every room/zone)
  • Temperature & humidity sensor that reports to HA
  • Capability to set temperature from HA
  • Temperature display and setting directly on the thermostat
  • Minimalistic white design

Meross does have one that ticks all those boxes, which I tested, but it is not very intelligent and is illuminated 24/7.
Bosch and Homematic have something that would tick most boxes but I’d need separate hubs and they are not that cheap.

2 Likes

What kind of connector does it need to the heating? Normal wall plug? Screw terminal? …?

I use Homemaric IP TRVs and had alot of old 0.5A and 1.0A usb adapters laying around, so I just bought a lot of cheap usb Stepdown circuits.
The circuit will change the 5V from the USB adapter to 3.3V, which is perfect for devices that require two 1.5V batteries, so all my TRVs are mains powered today.

Regarding Homemaric IP, then raspberrymatic and debmatic work as a hub. You just need a RF device.

Debmatic is a native Linux app, so it can run on a host where the docker with HA supervised is running.
Raspberrymatic is an add-on, so it is perfect for those that like and can use HA addons.

Regarding humidity and temperature then a seperate wall/room device is better.
Homemaric have some wall thermometers with humidity that can work inside the hub and without HA needed.
But you can also choose to buy others and then let the connection and control go over to HA.

Debmatic have a list of RF devices on their first page.
It’s in German, but the list is quite easy to spot and if you use Google to search for the names in capital letters then you will get result.
Search for debmatic on Google and it will come up.

Screw terminal with live wire in and switched wire out + neutral for power supply. All 230V.

@WallyR: Thanks for the reply but I don’t need TRVs, I need a wall mounted wired thermostat that controls a valve through electricity and not through force. Further I don’t want RF devices, as mentioned above only WiFi is acceptable for me.

That is fine by me :slight_smile:
But the trick to make them 230V powered still goes and it will increase the selection quite a bit.

Did you have a look at https://Shelly.cloud ?

They have a variety of solution for Heating and Temperature, all WiFi, most 230v.

• sensors incl relays
  • valves
  • thermostats

https://www.shelly.cloud/shelly_plus_h-t/

https://shop.shelly.cloud/temperature-sensor-addon-for-shelly-1-1pm-wifi-smart-home-automation

I got already 25 Shellys at home and have considered it, but I’d like a thermostat with a display where I can read and manually set the temperature.

1 Like

@FPro: Did you come to a conclusion?

I was doing a lot of research on this as well and found these (do not fit all your criteria):

Any other ideas would be much appreciated, as it is still challenging to find wall thermostats with local integration options.

Unfortunately no solution yet.

I’m reconsidering to put a Shelly behind my analog thermostat and flash it with an ESPhome thermostat.
I also investigated in a self built solution which could also include bluetooth tracking, motion and brightness sensors. But I don’t feel comfortable to design a PCB with 230V on it. I guess insurance will bail out if my house burns down :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions.
A whole display just for temperature control would be overkill. I’ll never use it.
The Alpha Smart system requires a hub. I also don’t like the idea to separate the sensor from the actor.
The new Bosch thermostat looks really great, but requires a hub and the 230V versions are quite expensive.

I was reading and looking in the forum a bit and it seems the Bosch Thermostat II should be working without their hub (see this thread). Although this seems to be referring to their radiator thermostat, I would be surprised if integration was not possible with their room thermostat variant…

Also, the new Alpha Smartware Thermostat direct Matrix 230 V WiFi will also work as a standalone device according to their website.

Was looking for something similar.
I need to switch the hydro floor heating NC 230V actuators (currently basic rotary bimetallic ones).

I found https://airobothome.com/en/product/airobot-smart-thermostat/
All seems to be great - very modern.
Even co2 option. Local API too.

It uses an E-Ink display - not that rubbish cheap LCD most have.

But the price is pretty salty.
Around 100€ for non CO2 and 150 for co2 sensing option.