2K RTSP Video Doorbell on offer at Amazon UK

This might be slightly above my skill level, but could someone tell me exactly how to get mqtt on these, havent bought one yet but I’m going to. Do I just download the files from the GitHub with the modified files and put them on an sdcard? Or do I need to dump my firmware and then add the files from GitHub?

I don’t suppose anyone has tried similar doorbells? The Meco doorbell has not been available for some time on Amazon UK.

I see the IeGeek 2k doorbell is only £42 on Amazon UK. The casing and design looks very similar. I am tempted to try it on the hope that it is the same chipset/internals.

Yes I’ve just got the iegeek j5 from Amazon, seems like it’s pretty much the same doorbell, I have got a version of the old hack working(as far as I can tell) but can’t get mqtt working with it just yet. Happy for someone who know more about what’s going on with the hack to help to get it working.

Good luck with it. I am looking at different options, but may get the IeGeek. If I do I will let you know how I get on with setting it up.

I’ve just grabbed this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093WHLHW8 which I think is the j5 same as your Sam? Will be looking into the MQTT stuff later this week :slight_smile: will report any progress.

That looks to be exactly the same as mine, please let me know how you get on.
I could do with some help.
I can get mqtt working but the app stops sending notifications about 10 minutes after it boots

Good progress I think, mqtt button and motion events work, I had no issues with it stopping over time (although I’ve only had it going for an hour or so)

Followed Meco J5 Plus - Finding the password · Issue #35 · guino/BazzDoorbell · GitHub mostly, just a few differences.

I used realwaywalker’s same ‘env’ file as the args were identical. When done, I couldn’t use the http stuff anymore (with or without the ppsFactoryTooltxt, port 8090 etc) which threw me off a bit, but I could telnet and login (after changing passwd hash as recommended) so I carried on and it all seemed fine. There were a lot of new files/folders created on SD card after that step.

I had to run the autodiscovery commands from log_parser.sh manually as nothing was created at first, after several reboots. I added ‘sleep 10’ near the start to help, which I think must be working… I’ve just now discovered that if you restart HA, these entities disappear until the doorbell reboots - I’ll have to revisit this later, I don’t really understand how mqtt works properly I don’t think eheh.

now both button and motion sensors are in HA. The button press worked great, but motion did nothing in HA (motion events were still working in cloudedge)

Edited log_parser.sh to search log for a different event that seemed to correlate in testing as the existing log event never appeared:

#if contains “$BUF” “record job start OK!”; then
if contains “$BUF” “pps_media_md_freeCapPic”; then

rtsp stream, High quality: rtsp://admin:[email protected]:8554/Streaming/Channels/101
Low quality: rtsp://admin:[email protected]:8554/Streaming/Channels/102
(same credentials set in Cloudedge app, NOT from passwd)

that’s all for tonight!

I can’t believe you’ve got it working, mine works for 10 minutes the app notifications stop, mqtt still works though.

Could you let me know what changes you made if you could?

What version of the app are you using and what firmware version are you using?

Got it working now, had to

Roll back the app to the old version

Update the firmware to 4.3.3

Delete the home folder on the SD card

Boot the device and let it generate a new home folder

Copy ppsapp to root of SD card and rename to ppsapp-custom

Nice, yea I came across the same issue with cloudedge basically stopping working after 10 mins, and temperamental rtsp streams. Just upgraded to 4.3.3, will let it run tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks.

It was weird that it worked perfectly fine without the hack and then stopped working after the hack but then they fixed it so hack works properly in a firmware update. Usually companies patch hacks not fix them

Mine worked fine for over 24 hours so it’s now mounted on the front of my house to see how it performs over the weekend

I also got rid of the discovery for home assistant and added an mqtt sensor to stop the entities disappearing after a ha reboot

Which app version offers you FW 4.3.3? My cam is on 4.3.1; got as far as being able to telnet to it, but right now it’s not accessible from the CloudEdge app (not that I care really).

I used v3.2.3 to show the firmware update

Do you still have ppsFactoryTool.txt file still on the SD card? I found that if I had that I couldn’t use the app but as soon as I remove it the app works again.

Awesome, thank you! The cam is on 4.3.3 now.
Thanks for the tip about the ppsFactoryTool as well.

Did you manage to get the cam fully integrated with HA?
I’m hoping to get MQTT working tomorrow and get HA notify the device apps. (Though the cgi-bin directory keeps disappearing from the SD card - not sure what’s causing that.)

Depends what you mean by fully integrated.

I have mqtt working for button presses

I don’t use the built in motion detection, I already have it set up with zoneminder so just put the rtsp URL into that and the camera feed works with that but I’m sure it would be a case of finding the message that is sent in the logs for motion then using that in the log_parser and it would work fine

HA has a zoneminder integration that gives me camera entities.

I have a mqtt sensor that I’ve manually set up to turn on when the button press topic gets the on payload and an automation to turn it back to off after 10 seconds (I think it goes back to off by itself but takes a while)

I then have an automation that is triggered from that sensor to show the camera feed on my Google home hub and play a ding dong sound on all Google home minis.

I get notifications on my phone from cloudedge and a ding dong from the usb chime.

Hi guys, can anyone please advise how to send MQTT msges when button pressed. i followed https://github.com/guino/BazzDoorbell/issues/35#issuecomment-861362737 instructions and reboot the device. I changed the mqtt broker, user name and password in the log_parser but i am not getting any messages in home assistant… any advise please?

Can you please share your MQTT files as I am unable to get any notification after hack. Rest seem to be well working and have telenet access as well. MQTT was the main reason to hack j5 doorbell thanks

I have recently got the IeGeek doorbell. Has anyone with this doorbell or the Meco J5 had issues with the high quality RTSP stream? The low quality stream seems to work ok, however the high quality stream seems to drop out after a second or so.

I haven’t spent much time troubleshooting yet, just curious if others have the high quality stream working ok. I am hoping to use it with Frigate.

Are you able to manually run the commands from the logparser file via telnet? You should see your mqtt broker report the messages.

That worked for me. I have since reverted the doorbell to factory to troubleshoot a different issue so cannot send the files.

To answer my own question, I have found that the high res stream is h.265, the low res stream is h.264.

I can open both streams with ffplay, however vlc does not like the high Res stream. I have been trying to get Frigate to convert the high Res stream to h.264. I had some success but with very high CPU usage. The stream crashes after a minute or so.
I need to play around further with the ffinput arguments in Frigate.

Just FYI for anyone considering the ieGeek doorbell. The low res stream seems to work ok with Frigate.