433 Mhz integration with RTL SDR DVBT stick -Failing adding rtl-433 repo

Hi All
I’m a complete newbie

I’ve installed hassio on rpi2, enabled ssh and now wants to integrate my 433 Mhz sensors into HA using DVBT stick based on RTL SDR
I already read some posts and tried to install some repos But I cannot figure out how to install rtl433 repo

I’m using add repo by URL in ADD-ON store and using the repo links mentioned here

but I’m getting sistematically fail, see logs below

if anyone can help listing the steps I need to do (also using hassio apt-get doesn’t work) thanks
gm

=== Logs =====
19-04-07 14:46:28 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons.git] Clone add-on merbanan (Benjamin Larsson) · GitHub repository
19-04-07 14:46:29 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.addons.git] Can’t clone merbanan (Benjamin Larsson) · GitHub repository: Cmd(‘git’) failed due to: exit code(128)
cmdline: git clone --depth=1 --recursive --shallow-submodules -v merbanan (Benjamin Larsson) · GitHub /data/addons/git/173b08e0
stderr: 'Cloning into ‘/data/addons/git/173b08e0’…
remote: Not Found
fatal: repository ‘merbanan (Benjamin Larsson) · GitHub’ not found
'.
19-04-07 14:46:29 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Can’t load from repository merbanan (Benjamin Larsson) · GitHub

I had to do a full hassio reinstall recently and I didnt yet get around to reinstall this addon.
I will be looking into it over the next week or so. I hope I can help you then.

thanks a lot for your kind reply

The repository containing rtl_433 is in: GitHub - merbanan/rtl_433: Program to decode radio transmissions from devices on the ISM bands (and other frequencies)

The post you linked to dates back to October 2017. Just a wild guess but maybe the add-on is out of date?

Hallo,
just an update : I successfully added this repo to hassio

now struggling to make the RTL_433 work

I’m the addon author, and you’re right.
I dont have much time to keep on top of maintenance.
Thankfully the community has contributed :slight_smile:

@hijinx the RTL433 to mqtt seems working, the strange thing is that from SSH bash doesn’t recognize rtl_433 command so I cannot test.

basically I need the following information and I will be thankful to everyone that can help:

• How can configure the addon so that I can scan 433.92 (frequency protocol etc), so that I will be able to find the sensor id and data I’m looking for : owl current cost tx … which is transmitting to owl Cm160

• where should I see this data coming? log of the addon?

• After I found it and I read its identification data what should I do? should I add some lines in configuration.yaml? I would like to see the data and then I would like to graph the current data… I already installed grafana that I understood is the one needed to graph data.

I will be honest - the easiest way to debug it is to build and run rtl_433 from the command line and then once you found your settings to configure the hassio addon.

The best starting place is the rtl_433 github page:

From here you can find the protocol ID for your device family.
I couldnt see “owl”, but a google seems to suggest its actually an Oregon Scientific device: (search cm160)

Also backed up by this site:

Also see this forum post that uses rtl_433 for the CM160:

hi hijinx
many thanks for your detailed response. the problem is that on ssh terminal bash didn’t recognize
neither sudo nor rtl_433…

I’m not running HASSBIAN but the rpi image i downloaded from hassio.

from the log of rtl to mqtt addon I can see from the logs the system receiving some tmps 433 I assume from the cars nearby but not the the unit in my house.
I’m supposing that the addon automatically tunes the dongle to 433.92 Mhz but actually my unit is on a different frequency and there is no way to tune to other frequency (if I change frequency on the configuration of the addon it will always tune to 433.92)

I admit to being almost completely lost on getting my 8201t2 dongle (the blue one everyone has) to work. There seem to be multiple old addons with confusing install instructions. I have a Rpi 3 with HAAS, Mosquitto add on and node-red implemented. I now want to get the radio receiver working…and it would be great if I could use the same RPi 3. I also have an RPi 4 so if necessary, I could run the RTL code there…that RPI is running Raspian Lite. I am really lost as to where to even start.

Is there an easy way to add the radio code to the existing HAAS RPi 3?

If not, does anyone have clear instructions on how to get it working and what code to use to install on my RPi 4.

Use will be using Acurite weather sensors and a BBQ smoke thermometer (Maverick 733)…to trigger events in HA.

I really could use some simple to follow help on this.