433mhz, infrared IR to and from MQTT on ESP8266

I’ve been using the Gateway for a while now and got some feedback:

• The gatewayonline/offline functionalty doesnt work propperly (Gives the offline state and still can read my devices etc.)
  • Random disconnects from the ESP8266. Having my board next to the wifi ap still gives sometimes random disconnects (maybe its the board idk). Checked my powersupply on this one and is stable 5v.
  • Status indication on the LED from the ESP8266 would be handy sometimes if you wanna check things out.

For the range of the 433Mhz Receiver/Transmitter i’ve been using STX882 module (long range module) with no problems so far :slight_smile:

So 1technophile, the HM-10 then acts as a beacon detector/scanner right? Not as a beacon transmitter? So I would need to use my phone or a keychain as a beacon transmitter so that the gateway could detect me, right? Is it possible to have multiple gateways and set up the “proximity” it needs to trigger the MQTT message?

Really nice work on this project!

Hello,

Could you indicate which broker and version of it are you using?

Could you try to add these 3 lines into the loop of OpenMQTTGateway.ino:
#ifdef ESP8266
yield();
#endif

after:

client.loop();

Good idea, what do you see as a check, mqtt connection, wifi, signal receipt?

Hello,

Yes the HM 10 act as a beacon scanner not as a beacon transmitter.
You need to use your phone with a beacon simulator(not the target usage) or a keychain tracker (main target usage) not paired

At this time I only transmit the raw signal strenght of the beacon, I’m not making any computation but all is open

Im using broker version v3.1. Will be testing this change on the gateway. For status display I recommend MQTT connection. If MQTT is connected, wifi and signal are obsolete to know.

Will reply in a few days about the gateway change :slight_smile: Thanks for everything!

I added a commit of IRgateway so as to test the possibility to send codes from global cache database, giving a lot of more IR possibilities!!

Working with my TV and other devices.

Here is some insight about how to publish the signal

Are you using mosquitto?

My mosquitto is on version 1.4.11 for info.

Oops sorry… My mosquitto version 1.3.4 Should I also upgrade to your version?

So in the MQTT message you transmit the raw signal strength of the beacon (and probably also the ID of the gateway that detected it?), so an external app like HASS or node-red could be used for computation/estimation in which part of the house/room I am located? Based on signal strength.

Yes I think so. It could solve the issue with offline/online status

In the MQTT message you have the mac adress of the beacon and the RSSI of the signal for this beacon. No ID of the gateway that detected it, but you can change the fase topic “home” by “first_floor” so as to differentiate the gateways.
Yes I think a computation can be done like for wifi with https://github.com/schollz/find so as to locate yourself in the house.

Nice thank you! Maybe you could also add RC522 RFID Reader support (for reading those NFC tags or card or whatever), but that one uses a lot of pins so would probably then limit the use of additional interfaces on the gateway.

Yes good idea of a new technology, I will add as an enhancement into the github

That’s perfect :smiley: This weekend I have very little time to test though, but I will give it a try next week!

I am getting problem turning on etekcity switches. My 433mhz door sensors are working fine. Switches are working fine from gpio of rpi using commandline but i am trying to shift them also to nodemcu gateway this is my config for switches.

Do i have to change anything else to make it work. I tried with both home/commands/MQTTto433 -m 4224259 and without commands/

Verify first that you emitter is well powered (with a multimeter idealy)
Try close to your etekcity switch to see if it is not an antenna issue
If cyou have, put the receivedemo example of rcswitch library on an arduino and see if it receive something

Just excellent!! Thank you so much @1technophile, today I finally found time to test the setup and it’s working beautifully!

Yesterday I soldered a setup together with two IR leds linked in parallel and I put it behind my tv where I also mounted the set top box out of sight. Besides one of the LED’s poking out on the underside of the TV you can’t see anything and I can control it all out of HA. I’ll post some pics later :slight_smile:

Again, awesome job, great addition to my HA setup!

1 Like

@michielrutjes Great, could you share an example of your yaml file so as to include it to the wiki?

Working on it right now, will share later :slight_smile: So far I’ve only tested it through the mosquitto command line and a couple of switches in HA.

There’s one thing though, I’m looking for a way to represent a button push on my remote, like just pushing “channel up”. If you make an MQTT switch you get an “on/off” UI element as a representation in HA, but I’m looking for a stateless button push thing. The best solution I’ve found so far is using a script that provides an “activate” button, just like a scene. But that means that I will have a lot of “redundant” yaml, making a script for every switch. Anyone here with a better suggestion? For now I’ll follow this road and share the yaml when it’s presentable :wink:

Just added a chat room related to the project for all support and questions:
https://gitter.im/OpenMQTTGateway/Questions_support