433mhz, infrared IR to and from MQTT on ESP8266

If there is no ping during 3 hours maybe it is not mqtt related. I will let mine online and see if i reproduce

So I guess thatā€™s it then? Iā€™m on my own now?

If you want someone to add new protocol, I suggest that you request to RCSwitch repository (the library used by OpenMQTTGateway for RF)

Iā€™m honestly not even sure if its a library/protocol issue.

Should any 433mhz remote signal be received by the gateway even if its not in the RCSwitch library? (assuming 433.92mhz is close enough to be picked up by 433mhz receiver. which Iā€™m pretty sure it is since the broadlink easily receives the signal in learn mode)

I understand it may just be gibberish but I would think that I should see SOMETHING on the serial monitor when i push the remote button. It just seems really strange that Iā€™m seeing absolutely no response at all.

Is that even remotely correct? I know next to nothing about this but definitely trying to do the research to figure it out. Iā€™ve literally got 10 browser windows open right now and trying to sort it all out. :crazy_face:

If thatā€™s not the case and it actually IS related to the library/protocol limitation then that would be a better route to go and move the discussion to the library repo page.

As you are receiving from another arduino/esp sending a 433mhz signal it is not hardware related.

The rcswitch library doesnā€™t display raw signals, only the ones that it is able to decodes.

If you want to go in deep about 433mhz let me advise you some tools:

• rtl_433
  • RFLink support a wide range of protocols
  • maybe pilight

Awesome!

Thatā€™s good to know about the raw signals. Iā€™ve been looking at trying to build another sniffer to see if I could pick up and signals. Havenā€™t gotten there yet.

Thank you for the suggestions. Iā€™ll keep looking and maybe I can come back here and help too!

And if you want to have fun with RF signals buy an RTL SDR usb dongle.
It is quite nice to see the spectrum of the RF signals

Ironically I had just pulled this up on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-RTL-SDR-RTL2832U-Software-Packages/dp/B008S7AVTC

I might not go with that but you have to start looking somewhere. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @1technophile,

I tried a basic scheme from the pubsub library which just connect to the wifi/mqtt and publish a counter to a topic. I left it running on friday and itā€™s still working right today (monday). So, it seems that my unit is ok. What else can I do to debug it? Thanks!

Hi,
I configured my ESP32 to be followed by mycontroller at IP level and MQTT level, letā€™s see how it goes. It is easier to correct issue when you reproduce them.

Hi,

I got a new esp32 and after 19hours working right it stopped to work. I left the esp32 connected to my machine so I can use the ā€œMonitor Serialā€ from arduino IDE. It seems that the BT scan is not working as I got this:

BT Task running on core 0
E (5319243) BT: btc_search_callback BLE observe complete. Num Resp 0

BT Task running on core 0
E (5349446) BT: btc_search_callback BLE observe complete. Num Resp 0

Iā€™m sure that my beacon is working (I can see it using a scanner on my phone) and there are other BT devices around.

UPDATE: I saw that the version of ESP32_BLE_ARDUINO was updated on the openmqttgateway page . Got the recommended version (3f5005c) and started another run.

reproduced mine stopped after 12 hours, now I can check what is going wrong

Just to isolate the issue, the gateway is working now on ESP32 with RF only since 2 days without interruption.
Seems related to BLE implementation.

@bachoo786

Im suffering the same - donā€™t think the ir transmitter is sending anything. I tried looking at it using my phones camera and could see any IR light being emitted.

Did you get it working in the end?

72 hours without disconnection with RF only, letā€™s try now with BLE only

Hi 1technophile,

Thanks for working out this great piece of hardware and software!
I have got the gateway up and running on RF and IR.

Now Iā€™m trying to get my amplifier to be controlled via the IR sender on the gateway.
The amplifier is a NAD D3020. NAD published a list of the IT codes for the D3020 in this link:

The IR protocol is NEC, but whatever code I try, I cannot get the amplifier to react on the IR signals I send. I am pretty sure that the IR sender works, my Samsung TV just reacts on IR commands I give via the gateway.

I have tried various variants of this:

mosquitto_pub -t home/commands/IR_NEC -m ā€œ877cc8ā€ (to power my amplifier off)

but none of them work. Do you have a clue what kind of codes I should send via mqtt?

Thanks,
Jurgen.

Hi,

I advise you in this case, to try the global cache database; your model is listed on it
https://irdb.globalcache.com

Here is an example for the volume:
code set: 6122

function: VOLUME UP

code1: sendir,1:1,1,38000,1,69,341,170,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,64,21,21,21,21,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,64,21,21,21,21,21,21,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,21,21,64,21,64,21,64,21,21,21,1517,341,85,21,3655

And here is how to use it with OMG:

Thanks very much for your answer. I have followed the instructions and indeed it works for me!

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

If you are interested in adding IR to the sonoff RF bridge here is how to:

Hi Guys,

I have a motion detector that emits a single signal to indicate motion. In order to handle this situation so that in HASS the sensor doesnā€™t show motion all the time, I put together the following configuration that turns on a template sensor for 5 seconds, controlled by an input boolean that is hidden in the UI. It works pretty well, but I am wondering if there is a better way to do it?

input_boolean:
  front_door_pir:
    name: 'Front Door pir'
    initial: off
    icon: mdi:motion

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      front_door_motion:
       friendly_name: Front Door Motion
       value_template: "{{ states.input_boolean.front_door_pir.state == 'on' }}"
       device_class: motion

automations:
  - id: automration_3_8
    alias: Front Door Motion On
    trigger:
      platform: mqtt
      topic: "home/433toMQTT"
      payload: xxxxxxxxx
    action:
      service: input_boolean.turn_on
      entity_id: input_boolean.front_door_pir

- id: automration_3_9