A Smart Home Heating Project with Promising Energy Saving Results

You might like to check out Heating X2: Schedule Thermostats with Calendars

Heating X2 features:

• Schedule by calendar: set the temperature of each room with a local calendar and as many heating events as you like
  • Multiple thermostats: One or more thermostats per room: multiple thermostats are synchronised together. Works with smart TRVs, any smart thermostat, or Generic Thermostat
  • Manual override: a change on the thermostat, dashboard or by voice assistant remains in effect for a defined period (default 2 hours)
  • Door or window open: heating turns off heating in the room if any door or window is left open for a defined period (default 3 minutes) – optional list of zero or more closure sensors.
  • Occupancy: heating turns off heating if a room is left unoccupied for a defined period (default 1 hour) – optional list of zero or more motion or human presence sensors.
  • Warmup period: occupancy is ignored for a defined period at the start of a calendar event (default 2 hours)
  • Away mode: set all rooms to a temperature specified per room (default 5C) when there is no one at home
  • Background temperature: used when there is no calendar event (default 5C but specified separately from the frost and away temperatures)
  • Zone control: can switch one or multiple heating zone valves, or a boiler that needs a heat demand switch, based on heat demand from a group of thermostats
  • Notifications: if thermostats do not respond to a new setting, go offline, or come back online
  • Battery-efficient: conserves TRV battery life by only transmitting real changes
  • Code generator: uses mail merge (!) to automatically generate YAML code for helpers, timers, template sensors, groups, automations, and dashboard cards from a single EXEL spreadsheet that lists zones, rooms and thermostats
1 Like

Hi, thanks for sharing this as it looks like a great piece of work.

Unfortunately it does not look like it would be suitable for my heating system. This uses electric radiators where the temperature setpoint is set on the radiator using the control pad. This is known as the “Comfort” setting and the automation system (HA or whatever) selects a defined preset (Comfort, Comfort-1C, Comfort-2C, Eco, Away etc.) and sends this to the radiator rather than a temperature setting (e.g. 21C).

I realise that this is unusual but the home is wired for this arrangement which includes a 4th signaling wire to each radiator (which I control in zones via a Qubino ZWave module).

I will definitely revisit this as I expect to be moving home in the near future.

Thanks for your positive comment!

Some TRVs also have modes like ‘comfort’, ‘background’ and ‘away’. In my case, the trick is to set them to ‘manual’.

If that is not available in your case then the blueprint cannot be used as-is because it is based on sending a temperature to a ‘climate’ device. However, you might be able to fork it and make a version that schedules modes instead of absolute temperatures?