šŸ§ Ability to open group members from group

In the UI, when you click on a group and go to the Related tab it shows the group under the Integrations section which then just navigates to the default integrations page. The only way to see the members is to go to the Settings tab and click on Group Options but itā€™s still not possible to open a group member from there.

Add the ability to open a member from within the group. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My WTH issue was Closed and pointed to here.

My issue is related to controlling entities within a group.

Old method allowed the individual control of entities from the More Info action.
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.37.45 pm

Helper method for two lights doesnā€™t have this ability.
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 5.38.12 pm

1 Like

+1 from me
from my point of view this is the biggest drawback of the helper-created groups and where the yaml-created groups still shine.
From my point of view this is a classic ā€œWTH?!?ā€ because both group styles bring their individual problems which only their respective counter-parts solve! :thinking:

There are already so many topics around about this and some of them are years old. Most of them ask to change the group icon of the old-style groups depending on the overall group state. This is what the new groups can do. But youā€™ll loses the access to the individual group members. WTH?!

The new groups are nothing more but a sum of logic signals. While on the other hand the old groups are really ā€œgroupsā€ with a much more versatile and complex structure - they just suffer from not being able to represent a device class!

I was about to open an issue/topic asking why my group in yaml looks like this:

Where I can see the individual states of each member, while the one generated with the UI only shows this:

With this information, I canā€™t even know if both sensors are working or if only one does. Why the hell did the old useful UI has been dropped??

3 Likes

Same question here!
How see or change the group members from the created (helper) group?

Really looking forward for this to be fixed.

1 Like

Iā€™ve worked my way around this issue. Iā€™m working a lot with auto-entities as I want it to be scalable and found the solution today (after I did some careful reading).

Iā€™ve created light groups through the UI and have those filtered with GitHub - thomasloven/lovelace-auto-entities: šŸ”¹Automatically populate the entities-list of lovelace cards. On top of this Iā€™m using a pop -up card with browser_mod GitHub - thomasloven/hass-browser_mod: šŸ”¹ A Home Assistant integration to turn your browser into a controllable entity and media player. On a tap/hold action I open up the pop-up card which is populated with the lights from the group which is clicked from the auto-entity group, this is made possible by the functionality this.entity_id. Up till now I didnā€™t know about this functionality and this has made me to solve this, as it is fully scalable now.

On top of the above Iā€™ve used GitHub - piitaya/lovelace-mushroom: Mushroom Cards - Build a beautiful dashboard easily šŸ„ to make the layout nice and shiny and the added value of this is that you can fully customize the look and feel together with the interaction as youā€™re not tied to the ā€˜more-infoā€™ menu.

The code Iā€™ve used in my card, the trick is to use the right filters for your situation.

type: custom:auto-entities
card:
  type: grid
  columns: 2
  square: false
card_param: cards
filter:
  include:
    - domain: light
      entity_id: /group/
      options:
        type: custom:mushroom-light-card