Absolutely losing my mind trying to get cameras to work

I don’t think mine will work simply because this code service: camera.turn_on does not work.

Do you know if there is a way with the tap_action event to show/hide a card? Like set one to visible and one to hidden or vice versa?

You made a lot of progress, please try to understand the code before moving further.

We are using 2 different conditional cards;

• one is visible when streaming is off, shows picture card, my integration generates this sensor but i am not expecting this to work for you, rather you shouldn’t have an input boolean equals to false as condition
  • two is visible when streaming is on, shows webrtc card, reverse of one

As you called out you are new to game, i would advice you to place input helper on top of these conditional cards and click on input helper (to toggle) so your conditional cards will toggle

Thanks! So the tap_action of the first card (picture) would set the helper toggle to ‘On’, thereby triggering the condition for the second card?

I had the same (Stream never started) problem with generic, ffmpeg and WebRTC.
Solved it by adding another camera account with both user name and password without any special characters in them.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhh yes.
That is such a very, very good hint !

I was NOT able to get the live-stream of my HikVision cams to work in the glance-card. In VLC it worked like a charme. I’ve tried everything and read every article in the community.

But never changed the password to a bad one WITHOUT special characters.
After i read your post an gave it a try.
It’s unbeliveable. :see_no_evil:
Now it works without change anything else than the password.

Thanks for sharing this and kind regards.
Maybe it helps the thread-opener, too.

I think this whole problem with buffering camera streams is almost certainly a problem in the frontend.

For some reason the stream is getting to much for the browser/ page and it freezes and starts buffering. I have had 5 different cameras from 2 different brands all having the exact same problem. When using the frigate addon the streams are rock solid in the same browser not seeing a single buffer or stutter. Also the camera streams are rocksolid on other platforms. But as soon as i open the streams in the frontend they start stuttering and buffering every few seconds. Someone should really look into the camera integration in home assistant and see whats wrong with it. It cant be that hard to just show a 1080p video stream without stutters i guess… But i guess no one really did the effort to make it work descent. At the moment i end up using the frigate integration and look the live streams from there. Its the only way they work like they should.

Its a shame, because it would be awsome if i could use the dashboard i created to view all my camera’s. But opening the stream is just a pain to watch…

I had an automation go to a specific page on our tablet showing a videofeed of the front door when someone is pressing the doorbell. But not only it stutters and buffers all the time… also the video takes ages to load. Also some strange things happen when the cameras are offline. You can still watch the live stream but its the last so many seconds before the stream went down it will show this in a loop. This proves to me that the whole integration is very poorly build and that it is very unstable. This really needs allot of work before its usable