Access to sudo from Home Assistant

I have bought an 8GB Raspberry Pi 5 and a Pimoroni SSD Base with a 500GB SSD. I would like to run HA on the SSD.

I can create an HA SD card that will start OK. But, I don’t know how to run commands, such as lsblk, sudo etc so that I can copy HA to the SSD and change the boot order. Being new to the Pi and HA, I foolishly expected the process to be clear in documentation and YouTube videos. All videos seem to assume some prior knowledge, but I couldn’t find the basics covered.

I have also created a Pi OS SD card, but when inserted in my Pi, I don’t see the Pi on my PC?

Help!

Those are cli commands. To run them you obviously need cli ( command line interface ) and that is terminal prompt. There are lot of different setups but in general linux have by default enabled 7 terminal prompts that you can access using ctrl+alt+f1-f7.
In gui mode you have terminal emulators so you don’t have to switch to terminal.
Look on the net for linux fundamentals or some similar topic.

It is expected that you use pi imager or balena etcher to copy the HA OS image straight to your SSD.

Isn’t “Move Data Disk” exactly fulfilling that use case?

Not really, the pi still boots from SD, but HA’s data is on the SSD.

But it is the preferred solution for the pi 5

1 Like

Ctrl+Alt+F1 has no response?

That I will do when I get an NVMe to USB adapter. However, after I create the HA SSD, how do I get the Pi to boot from it?

That pretty much depend on the Hat you’re using. Pimoroni surely has that documented.

I’ve copied Home Assistant to the SSD, but it doesn’t boot, presumably because the Pi boots from the SD by default. As I can only get HA to boot from the Pi, I’m back to my original question: how go I get to the setup level when in HA? If I can change the boot order, I should be OK.

I’ve used Imager to copy HA to the SSD, but the Pi doesn’t boot from the SSD. I can only get the HA OS to boot from the SD card, so I need to know how to confuse the Pi from HA?

Did you read and apply pimoroni doc?

You need to do this on a raspberry os, e.g. the one on the SD card.

I am having a similar problem. I have the Argon ONE V3 M.2 NVME PCIE Case and I am trying to follow the guidance from the Home Assistant OS 12 release post.

The Raspberry Pi 5 section ends with:

We do recommend using an SD card as the boot medium and using the data disk feature to move most of the Home Assistant installation onto the NVMe. This is easy to set up and guarantees a reliable boot.

I interpret that to mean we should install HA OS on the SD card and then mount the NVMe as a separate data disk. The Argon case I bought requires some scripts to be run to get the Pi to detect the NVMe drive, but there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to do that if you have HA OS on the SD card. I was able to SSH into HA OS by following this guide, but the OS is so stripped down it didn’t have the packages necessary to download the Argon scripts. I’m hesitant to muck about too much here as I don’t know what will happen with the next HA OS update so I guess for now I’ll just keep my Pi 4 HA host live.

I’m hoping that I’m just encountering typical “early adopter” issues that will eventually be sorted out as time goes on. It would be great if the HA team could elaborate on their reccommended installation approach on a Pi 5 with an SD card boot medium and NVMe data disk!

Maybe, maybe not. Booting from USB doesn’t seem to be supported by HAOS, although that exists basically since rpi4 came out.

Even HA’s own hardware, the Yellow, doesn’t support booting from SSD, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on having booting from NVMe SSD for rpi5 supported anytime soon.

I was able to solve my problem. See my comment here: Raspberry Pi 5 support and more in Home Assistant OS release 12 & Supervisor update - #22 by marky421