Acquired an Optiplex 9010 (i7 3770, 8GB, 128GB SSD). Best way forward?

Then you need to tell my Kodi App running right now on my NUC that it needs to stop streaming video to my DLNA enabled Sony Blu-ray players. It seems to be breaking the rules. Ignorance of the law is no excuse! :wink:

But seriously, yes it can be a media server.

Ran into a problem; I have everything up and running but am trying to setup my external drive for all my movie/tv show storage. I have it mounted to /usr/share/hassio/share/sdb; it shows up and nzbget will put stuff there, but I am trying to transfer all my existing stuff over from my old drive and am getting an error that there is not enough space. It is a 2TB drive and I am only trying to copy over ~200GB, but it is reporting that I only have ~70GB of room.

So I did some digging and have figured out that although my disk is showing up properly and reporting the correct size in ubuntu, the transfer via samba is only recognizing the ~70GB I have available on my root home folder.

This is over my head but here is what I get in the terminal:

xxx@yyy:~$ sudo df -h /usr/share/hassio/share/sdb
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb        1.8T  6.6G  1.7T   1% /usr/share/hassio/share/sdb
xxx@yyy:~$ sudo df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2       110G   34G   70G  33% /

Can someone explain how I set this up properly?

Have you tried using WinSCP instead of Samba to do the transfers?

no, but is that the problem? Would winscp disregard the 70gb in my home directory?

Is there an sda1? or sda3 or 4? (etc)

ls /dev/sda*

I think it is working (is is transferring them all at once, at least). For anyone that might run into the same thing, I had to go in the terminal and do:

sudo find /usr/share/hassio/share/sdb -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;

this gave the read/write permissions to all users and then I was able to use winscp to start a transfer. So far, it hasnā€™t been taking up space on my root home, when I run:

sudo df -h /

I hope I am good now, thanks!

1 Like

Now something is using 100% CPU - what a shit show - I have no idea what I am doingā€¦

7359 root      20   0  270480 123312  12512 S 101.0   1.5  22:55.09 /usr/local/bin/python3 -m homeassistant --config /config
 1428 root      20   0  154468  73892  10716 S  94.0   0.9  18:11.97 /usr/local/bin/python3 -m hassio

tried disabling a lot of add ons but nothing is working. Takes like 15 min to restart hassio and then a bunch of stuff doesnā€™t work when it does start up.

Havenā€™t done it myself but if you have enough processing power, wouldnā€™t it be safest to have different services running within separate virtual machines? Then you can for example pick python version per virtual machine basis.

This might be really bad solution in real life so please correct me if I am wrong.

My NUC shows similar results when using top. Try this and see what you get.

sudo apt-get install nmon

Once itā€™s done, type nmon to run it, then press c to get your CPU usage. Take a screen shot of the CPU usage.

Mine looks like this when top tells me I have python using 70%-100%. I ignore top.
nmon

well, add-ons arenā€™t running IN home assistant so turning add-ons on or off should have no bearing on what the home assistant container is doing.

ā€˜Nother newbie here (been trolling for many years) and I donā€™t understand why or what using Ubuntu over Debian gives. Iā€™ve just gotten used to using Debian with the Rpiā€™s. I just donā€™t have any real experience with Ubuntu. So, with that said, can I follow the same instructions (with the Debian install instead of Ubuntu of course)?

Thanks Yaā€™ll!

Rob

If you want to run other applications, Ubuntu has a much much larger (and newer versions of) app repository. There are tons of PPAs you can add, and a lot of software in general is targeted at Ubuntu. It has a larger audience, and community, better hardware support out of the box, and is generally easier to ā€œget goingā€ on some hardware.

Thatā€™s fine. Nothing wrong with that.

essentially, but you wonā€™t be able to use the add-apt-repository universe command, but with Debian, you probably donā€™t need it.

Found out thru trial and error that itā€™s the external hard drive causing issues. Whenever I try to mount it in the hassio share, so that nzbget, plex, etc can access and use it, it cause the CPU hang ups and makes everything unusable.

Can anyone eli5 how to properly attach an external drive so that hassio and other addons can make use of it?

Try mounting it in a normal place, say under /mnt, and create a symlink.

1 Like

Ha, Iā€™ll have to google that, Iā€™ll mess it up. Thanks, Iā€™ll look into it!

Mind pointing me in the right direction for this? I am confused if I need to bother with LVM or not and would like to mount the external drive (sdb) to /mnt and symlink as /usr/share/hassio/share/media

Noā€¦

Donā€™t put it on /mnt put it in a directory under /mnt, like /mnt/exthd or something.

A symlink is quite simple.

ln -s <SOURCE> <LINK_NAME>

sudo ln -s /mnt/exthd /usr/share/hassio/share/media

1 Like

Seems to work so far, thanks!

Transferred all my existing media over to /usr/share/hassio/share/media (which shows up as a shortcut in winscp and directs to /mnt/sdb), and I can access it all in there. However, I have now set up the NZBGet addon with the download directory set to /usr/share/hassio/share/media, the nzbget logs all show that it went to the right spot but when I tested a download on a random tv show, nzbget did not create the folders that it normally would (completed, intermediate, etc) and I cannot find that test download anywhere. Further, although I can see /usr/share/hassio/share/media in Winscp, nothing at all shows up in the HASSIO share folder via samba.

Any idea what I am missing to get those files to show up properly? I did have to chmod 777 on the media folder in order to transfer my existing files to it.

Samba may not allow following symlinks. Look at samba man page to see if thereā€™s an option for symlink following

1 Like