Action chose wont execute trigger when holding state logic is added

Yes, I am aware that I could simply trigger using the "on state " if I only had one trigger but I plan on expanding and adding a motion sensor for each room.
Since I am new to HA and using a new feature I prefer to test one trigger at a time. Makes it easier for me to find and fix my errors.

I tried your suggested code and no luck. I can accomplish what I need to using delays and setting the automation mode to restart so I don’t want to take up a lot of your time . I was excited to use the new feature you shared.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by “no luck”? Did it fail to pass Check Configuration or did it fail to trigger or did it fail to execute its actions as expected? If it triggered, you can inspect its trace.

Sorry for the delay. It is not showing up as an automation but I see this in the log. Do you have any idea why its pointing to the config file if the issue is for automation?

Invalid config for [automation]: required key not provided @ data['action']. Got None required key not provided @ data['trigger']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 584).
Invalid config for [automation]: not a valid value for dictionary value @ data['action'][0]['choose'][0]['sequence'][0]['entity_id']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 584).

The example I posted above passes Check Configuration on my system with no errors. Clearly you are doing something wrong.

Where did you paste this example into your system? In the automations.yaml file with your other automations? If you did, post a fragment of that file showing the example and its nearest neighbors.

Sorry, I thought I had hit reply apparently I did not. I thank you for your help . I needed to fix something else in my automation file and the issue is resolved now. Thanks again.

You should be aware that it’s customary to assign the Solution tag to the post that is the first to identify the issue and offer a solution. In this case, you took the information provided to you and marked your own post as the Solution.

If everybody did that then no matter how much assistance they received, the solution would always appear to come from the same person who asked the question. It would appear that everyone ultimately solves their own problem … and if that were true then they wouldn’t need help in the first place. That’s why the Solution tag is assigned to whoever’s post actually provided the solution.

For more information, refer to guideline 21 in the FAQ.

So sorry about that is not my intent. I think I corrected it now. I really really really appreciated your help . Thanks again.

1 Like

That’s interesting because it still shows the same thing.

It should be good now. :smiley:

1 Like