Adapt python script to also show automations

ah ok, then yes . I was half right. You need +10 for the length of entity_id=, and then +11 for the length of automation..

pos_start = event.find('entity_id=')+21
>>> event = "<Event call_service[L]: domain=automation, service=trigger, service_data=entity_id=automation.call_service_event_automation, service_call_id=1972124944-486>"
>>> pos_start = event.find('entity_id=')+21
>>> pos_end = event.find(',', pos_start)
>>> event[pos_start:pos_end]
'call_service_event_automation' 

getting closer, leaving out the service: trigger in the automation, I can get the action:notify to be executed when i switch an automation on or off. (not yet get the sensor created, but at least I am certain now the service event is the right one)
doesn’t execute when an automation is triggered though, which is what i am after.

not sure abut this code: >>> means what? these aren’t comments are they, this is the full python code? (havent had that is the code before, so please forgive my asking)

So I have no idea what your end goal is. From reading the code it looks like it:

finds automation that just ran and makes the entity_id for it.
gets the state for said automation (which should be off, unless it’s still running)
finds the time it last triggered (which should be now)
makes a message with the name of the automation.
Updates a sensor named ‘last_automation’ and does nothing else.

that’s python in idle. I used it to debug the code I was giving you. >>> is code I input. lines without it are what are returned.

my end goal is to show which was the last automation to have been triggered and show that with the sensor., just as I do that with the Last-command script, showing the last run script. Both to check whether the internal logic of automations is correct, and make it a little bit easier to check, rather than having to check the logs.

compare last command:

the notify is only there now to check whether the automation runs, and where it goes wrong… Right now I could see it running (got a notification,) but not creating the sensor yet, so nothing in the frontend. Which is my goal. to see each triggered automation with the time it was triggered.

This should work.

# Get params
event = data.get('event')
logger.error("LAST AUTOMATION: " + str(event))
# Sample: <Event call_service[L]: domain=automation, service=trigger, service_data=entity_id=automation.call_service_event_automation, service_call_id=1972124944-486>

# Find the automation name
pos_start = event.find('entity_id=')+10
pos_end = event.find(',', pos_start)

# Get the entity_id
entity_id = event[pos_start:pos_end]

# get the state object
state = hass.states.get(entity_id)

# Make a time string in 24 hour format
time_string = datetime.datetime.now().strftime('%I:%M')

# try to get the automation friendly name
try:
    msg = state.name
except:
    msg = None

if msg:
   if not msg.startswith('Set '):
       # Sensor update
       hass.states.set('sensor.last_automation', msg, {
            'unit_of_measurement': 'Aut',
            'friendly_name': time_string ,
            'entity_picture': '/local/buttons/play-mode-repeat.png' })

thanks!, but no it doesnt , yet… sorry

btw the 2 lines aren’t necessary here, only for when using the custom-ui on a larger text card

'custom_ui_state_card': 'state-card-value_only',
 'text': sensor_message,

then hass is probably not getting the object.

write a bunch of debug statements in there looking at each object and find out which one is causing msg to be None.

well something is happening, this automation got triggered:

Fri Jul 13 2018 15:53:11 GMT+0200 (CEST)

LAST AUTOMATION: <Event call_service[L]: domain=automation, service=trigger, service_data=entity_id=automation.call_summary, service_call_id=1971637392-1888>

but immediately above that is this:

Fri Jul 13 2018 15:53:11 GMT+0200 (CEST)

Error executing script: '__import__'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/python_script.py", line 166, in execute
    exec(compiled.code, restricted_globals, local)
  File "last_automation.py", line 17, in <module>
KeyError: '__import__'

line 17 being: time_string = datetime.datetime.now().strftime('%I:%M')

must be the old time issue we had before…so,

ive changed that back into this:

#time_string = datetime.datetime.now().strftime('%I:%M')
dt = datetime.datetime.now() #state.attributes.get('last_triggered') #
time = "%02d:%02d" % (dt.hour, dt.minute)
# try to get the automation friendly name
try:
    msg = state.name
except:
    msg = None

if msg:
   if not msg.startswith('Set '):
       # Sensor update
       hass.states.set('sensor.last_automation', '{}'.format( msg), {
#            'custom_ui_state_card': 'state-card-value_only',
#            'text': sensor_message,
            'unit_of_measurement': 'Aut',
            'friendly_name': time,
            'entity_picture': '/local/buttons/play-mode-repeat.png' })

and, lo and behold:

progress! now lets see why this is not displayed too when being triggered manually…:wink:
thanks @petro, much appreciated, as ever!

next up investigate why this works, and the other script failed to populate the sensor.

strftime may be imported in the datetime object. not sure. If that works you should be good.

just letting you know this

pos_start = event.find('entity_id=')+21

# Get the entity_id
entity_id = 'automation.' + event[pos_start:pos_end]

yields the same result.

albeit also only when manually triggered. What could be the reason the python script isnt triggered on each triggered automation?

the automation taking care of that is ‘on’ and like this, just as with the parallel last_cmd automation which works just as expected…

- alias: 'Call Service Event (Automation)'
  id: 'Call Service Event (Automation)'
#  hide_entity: True
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: call_service
    event_data:
      domain: automation
      service: trigger
  action:
    - delay: 00:00:02
    - service: notify.notify
      data_template:
    - service: python_script.last_automation
      data_template:
        event: "{{ trigger.event }}"

(rebooting to check if its not the notification thats causing trouble, now i have exceeded the rate limit ;-)) )

Im not sure what you mean by this?

i think it was the same as

pos_start = event.find('entity_id=')+10

# Get the entity_id
entity_id = event[pos_start:pos_end]

but my mind is going crazy with the instability Hassio is showing lately, so I might be mistaken…
So frustrating this is. Tradfri and Hue lights unavailable, system spontaneous reboots…
Hope its the heat, but fear it’s not…

grrr

No, you’re right. I shortened it because the ‘automation.’+ crap was unnecessary.

Hassio is working great for me. What version you on?

0.73.1 and waiting the for the update to become available… see CustomUI - discussion thread - #204 by Mariusthvdb and Tradfri. Aiocoap. What is this error about tinydtls.py?

yah those are weird errors. what code have you added recently? Do you use tortoiseHG or something like that to backup changes and revert back if you need?

No, nothing special, its been this ever since Hue was changed to asyncio:

2018-07-17 17:45:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212
2018-07-17 17:45:42 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212. Retrying in 4 seconds
2018-07-17 17:45:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
2018-07-17 17:45:49 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
2018-07-17 17:45:52 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
2018-07-17 17:45:56 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
2018-07-17 17:45:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting
2018-07-17 17:46:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212
2018-07-17 17:46:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212. Retrying in 8 seconds
2018-07-17 17:46:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Timer got out of sync. Resetting

ive taken out all customizations, all automations and all Custom components that could interfere…

up to this now:

2018-07-17 17:51:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212
2018-07-17 17:51:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hue] Error connecting to the Hue bridge at 192.168.1.212. Retrying in 256 seconds

please let me get back to this quickly.
with the amazing templating help of @pnbruckner we’ve found a way to adapt the automation for the triggered automations to be triggers for other actions, see Why doesnt this automation trigger automatically, one of them being the script we made here. Which is cool and results in this now (top icon):

to be more precise and be able to show the same automation being triggered several times I needed to show the seconds too, so changed:

time = "%02d:%02d" % (dt.hour, dt.minute)

into:

time = "%02d:%02d:%02d" % (dt.hour, dt.minute, dt.second)

cool, thanks to you both!

2 Likes