šŸ’” Adaptive Lighting automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change

Hi @kreene1987 - yeah, i think ā€˜detect_non_ha_changes: trueā€™ is the ticketā€¦but, not working.

(when I manually adjust brightness, it automatically adjusts backā€¦)

any thoughts?

thanks!

adaptive_lighting:
- name: "House"
  lights:
    - light.basement_lights
    - light.livingroom
    - light.kitchen_table_chandelier
    - light.bedroom_lights
    - light.upstairs_bathroom_main_lights
  take_over_control: true
  detect_non_ha_changes: true

A few thoughts to check. I configure directly through the UI so Iā€™m not 100% that your indentation/setup is proper. The light has to be ON already, then change by MORE than 10% to get set as manually controlled.

Whenever a light gets marked as ā€œmanually controlledā€, an adaptive_lighting.manual_control event is fired, such that one can use this information in automations.

thanks @kreene1987 - do I need to create a separate automation to turn on manual control? I thought that this happened automatically through the ā€˜adaptive lightingā€™ integration.

Nope it does it automatically. I was just suggesting to look for the event to make sure itā€™s working properly.

OK - gotcha.

shrug - I think resolved the issue by deleting and re-installing the integration through HACS.
I can now change settings through the UI (for some reason, it would not let me before, just yaml)

1 Like

Awesome extension. Really appreciate the work.
Atm Iā€™m using this for my cct dimmers on zigbee2mqtt for color correction, maybe it is helpful for someone.
I have to set a custom range from 2700k to 6500k (370-153mired) for the connected strips the dimmers however report a physical color range of (500-153). So the colors would be always off.This is a workaround to get correct color mapping going:

Hello,

I have been using this automation for a while now without any issues.

Recently I added a couple of new lights to my house and somehow they are always changing to manually controlled without me doing anything.

Any way to solve this?

What is the correct procedure to turn off manual control of all lights in either automation or scene? I want Adaptive Lighting to take control of all lights at 08:00 every day, but somehow I canā€™t make it work properly.

I think I have the same problem as @GleDel above, but Iā€™m not entirely sure my automations turn off manual control in the first placeā€¦

According to the first post, this is how to turn off manual control for one light:

- service: adaptive_lighting.set_manual_control
      data:
        entity_id: "{{ switch }}"
        lights: "{{ light }}"
        manual_control: false

But how do I do it for them all without separately listing them all?

Check out the adaptive_lighting.apply service:

You can just call:

- service: adaptive_lighting.set_manual_control
      data:
        entity_id: switch.adaptive_lighting_default
        manual_control: false

without the lights. The docs are incorrect about lights not being an optional argument. I will fix this!

1 Like

Hello,
Iā€™ve been using this component for a while without any issue.
Recently Iā€™ve added an rgbw controller to my setup (a Shelly Rgbw2) but Iā€™ve encountered some issue to make it work with Adaptive Lighting.
Basically, during the entire day / night cycle, the light correctly reaches a peak similar to 5500/5700 Kelvin, but when the sun passes below the horizon, the white tone remains very high (around 4500 K), while it should become a warm white (3000K).
Most likely the problem is that the controller only supports ā€œrgbwā€ color mode.
Is there any way to overcome the problem?
I thought some kind of color conversion (Rgb > Rgbw) could be done via script or template, but I really donā€™t know where to start ā€¦
The attributes of the entity are as follows:

supported_color_modes:
  - rgbw
color_mode: rgbw
brightness: 191
hs_color:
rgb_color:
rgbw_color:
xy_color:
friendly_name: Luci Tv (Shelly Rgbw)
supported_features: 32

Not sure about Shelly (depends what firmware you are running) but with ESPhome (which I think you can run on Shellyā€™s) I had to set a parameter to prevent the white channel turning on at the same time as the RGBā€™s. This fixed the issue perfectly.

Thanks for the hint!
I saw that itā€™s possible to flash Shelly Rgbw with ESPhome: can you confirm that, after the flash, Adaptive Lighting works as intended? Does the integration acts only on the RGB channels (leaving the white constant) or is the W channel modified accordingly to the brightness setting? Can you get a warm white (3000/3200 k) automatically?

I havenā€™t got any Shelly devices so canā€™t say what the experience is like.

Adaptive Lighting I believe works fine with both RGB and RGBW. In my automations I have it set up to only use the W LEDā€™s when the RGBā€™s are off. During normal Adaptive Lighting conditions the RGBā€™s do all the work and then if we want nice white light HA turns off Adaptive Lighting for that area and turns on only the white LEDā€™s. Thatā€™s just how I have it configured but not how it must be.

Best to read the AL docs.

Is there anyway to get this integration to react faster when a light is turned on via the physical wall switch? I notice a delay of several seconds when I turn on my lights using the wall switch; I would like to decrease this if possible.

I am using Enbrighten z-wave switches if that makes any difference.

First of thanks for this integration it is really essential in our home now.

Question though can I use light groups instead of individual lights in the configuration and in automations? There is something in the back of my brain that I had issues with just that in the passed so right now I have all my automation listing every single bulb instead of areas or light groups.

Yes you can use groups. Groups and Light Groups behave differently though. I also have problems with zigbee groups on ZHA; thereā€™s always one bulb that fails to change state to off, which causes Adaptive Lighting to turn the whole group back onā€¦

I think thatā€™s exactly the problem I had and even if I run Deconz and have all my lights in the same group I never use it in HA. Do you use your Deconz groups?

I had less problems when using deconz. I canā€™t remember if this was one of them. I did use zigbee groups (deconz), still use them (ZHA), and have problems. Iā€™m just hoping for occasional bugfixes to fix this problem as a side effect :smiley:

Well I setp ZHA with the new Sonoff Zigbee USB and tried to make Zigbee groups and yes if I group an entire room and then turn of one of them lights, that light turns back on in a couple of seconds.