💡 Adaptive Lighting automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change

So I have a Zigbee switch which sends a deConz event every time it is flipped. It is bound to the bulbs, so switches them on/off by itself without HA. I then have an automation set up to watch for on/off/on to sends the brightness to max if I need it at night: calls ‘light.turn_on’ with ‘brightness_pct: 100’. This makes the light manual.

I understand now that when I switch the light off at the switch and then back on later, it is stuck on manual – the only way to bring it back to AL control is to go to lovelace and cycle it a couple of times. How can I make this automatic?

Is the optimal solution to have another automation watch for a smingle off deconz_event (which will independently power down bound the bulbs) and then call adaptive_light.set_manual_control to "manual_control: false`?

Anyone else having problems lately with the adaptive lighting integration? The Attributes seem to have stopped updating. They always stay the same (Brightness, Color Temp, etc…)

I am running nearly 20 instances of adaptive lighting and I’ve not noticed any problems with that. Just a bunch of trash in the logs.

I would DEFINITELY notice if mine wasn’t working.

well problem solved, sleep mode switch was on, never used it before and i have no automation or script turning that on or off… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

New to HA and am having a hard time figuring out how to turn of AL with an automation. I have a helper dropdown setup. If the option for the dropdown is set to one of my options, I want to turn of the AL “switch” so that it stops applying the effect. But I do not see the AL entities (sleep, brightness, color, switch) as a device so that I can set it to off. How do I control those entities within an automation?

I responded to another user here and it kinda lays it all out: Trying to setup adaptive light add-on - #2 by Sergeantpup

I did see your post but it doesn’t help me in my current issue. I am coming from SmarThings with CL so I knew the basics of AL. Your outline did solidify that my understanding of AL was correct. In the end what I had to do in HA was for the action, call the service to turn a switch off and then I selected the AL switch that enables it or not. I was expecting the AL switch to show up as a device, just like my other actual light switches show up. After I used the service, I was able to do the automation that I needed.
I set mood lighting when I am watching tv so I needed an automation to turn of the AL switch when my Logitech Harmony TV mode was on so that it didn’t affect what I did to my bulbs using a different automation.

My light always turns on at 90% brightness, shouldn’t it rise / fall throughout the day?

Hello everyone! First - thank you @basnijholt for this integration. I find it to be one of the most useful integrations there are!

Quick question to whoever can help me - how can I manually set color of my RGB lights? I need the evening/night light to bee blood-red but day should be white as usual and something in between.

I have 20 instances of AL and I have not found a way to do this inside AL because I have the same requirement. I asked for it to be added as a setting to sleep mode as a feature request. In the meantime, I’ve just had to rely on clever switches, timing, and automations to give me the blood red at night.

I’ve had trouble with the manual override staying put so at 9:45P I turn OFF AL and then set the lights to red and then the motion sensors will just on/off them until the next house awake cycle that kicks the AL back on the next morning. Certainly not elegant but it definitely works. I’m following along in case somebody else has solved for this in AL in a way I can’t see.

1 Like

I see. Thank you for letting me know. I will do the same for now.

For some reason my sleep_mode switches turn automatically on at 7 o’clock in the morning. Can I somehow prevent this?

Look at the trace and see what caused it. This doesn’t happen within AL, it has no automation/script functionality.

I installed this ages ago but never set it up, it just got lost in the mix of cool components to play with. I finally enabled it last week and it’s really cool and plays well with my desire to reduce my electrical footprint as the dimmer lighting in the evening takes considerably less power. Thanks for writing this!

hello, i’ve been using adaptive lighting for quite a while and i love it because my eyes really struggle with bright lights. However there is one thing i havent been able to fix.

I don’t have smart light switches, only bulbs, and it seems that when lights are switched off via the dumb light switches, the following morning when switched on they do not reintegrate to the adaptive lighting schedule. i need to switch the bulb off and on again via HA and then it picks up the schedule again. i do have one room that i pretty consistently turn off at night via HA and when i turn them back on in the morning via HA its straight into the schedule.

There must be a simple workaround to this and i can’t be the only person still dealing with dumb light switches. does anyone have any tips for me?

thanks!

This sounds like its working as it’s intended.

When you sever the power to the bulbs, upon restore they’ll need to grab a connection before the adaptive lighting can take over. AL basically can’t see the turn on command to your bulbs because they are coming from a disconnected state so its not intervening with the adjustment. After you send a new turn on command upon re-establishing the connection, then AL will see it and intervene with settings.

You can automate your way around this but it won’t be graceful. Set up an automation that runs after the light establishes a connection to turn the adaptive light switch on for this bulb which basically forces the AL take over. Add a couple second wait delay and it should work.

One thing I do for some of my lights is I’ve altered the turn OFF sequence. Instead of automations just turning off the lights, they set them to 1% for 1 sec then turn off. To the eye, it just looks like they’re turning off but the benefit is whenever the lights turn on, no matter what the last adaptive lighting state was, the light will start on at 1%, then adapt from there. It prevents that brightness fluctuation at turn on if they were last at a daytime brightness.

After a looooong period of inactivity where I got a new job and moved to a different continent, I finally made the time to start working on Adaptive Lighting again! :tada:

I solved quite a few bugs in the last week and introduced a new feature where you can select the sleep_mode color in RGB:

Update to 1.1.0 to get the latest and greatest.

I am planning to add custom color curves too in some way. I am still thinking about how to do it.

9 Likes

I’m an avid user over 20 instances of this solution and you’ve made my year with some of these updates! Thank you for stopping the errors and adding color to sleep mode!

While you’re thinking about custom color curves, can we have a way to detect/combat cloudy day syndrome?

AL works great until you have a cloudy day and then the lights are overly bright/weird CT for it being nearly dark outside. It’s not the software’s fault because how does it know its a rainy day BUT if we had an option for an illuminance sensor to say "its the middle of the day, but the illuminance is < ‘x’ lux, adjust AL by ‘x’ percentage or ‘x’ sunset hours offset to give the illusion that its adapting to cloudy day.

The illuminance sensors are already in my home for cloudy day syndrome (triggering lights based on illuminance vs time of day). It seems like we could use a similar qualifier to tweak the AL throughout the day as needed for when the conditions outside become dark and the lights inside are not 90%/6500k.

Later as the illuminance sensor detects normal light levels, the AL offset can be turned off.

I’m capable of entering a PR, just wanted to talk to you about it first :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is it possible to pass a custom sunrise to an adaptive lighting instance? I’d like to be able to do "If alarm set > make adaptive lighting sunrise at alarmtime minus 25minutes, else make adaptive sunrise at 9am.

I can see how to change the value of sunset/sunrise in the configuration, but I’d like to update it automatically according to my work schedule. (you can take my weekend lie-ins from my cold dead hands)

It’s really interesting you’ve asked this.
I’ve been working with a popular blueprint to make a wake-up sunrise alarm, and have had a couple of really rude mornings with it conflicting with adaptive lighting. Waking up to a strobe light was… unpleasant.
I’ve since turned off adaptive lighting as an automation around when it would be running, but I also really dislike how the blueprint is using warm light. Adaptive lighting has a much better handle on the actual light spectrum our circadian rhythm is expecting, but is pretty bad at providing it at a set time or custom sunrise time. I attempted to jjust turn on my lights and let adaptive lighting serve a sunrise (as set in the config) but it came on at 40% brightness.

I think I’m going to ditch the blueprint and use a simple automation that turns off adaptive lighting brightness, and then increases the brightness by 1% every 5 seconds or something and just let adaptive lighting control the colour temp, since it does that really well.

This is all very off topic from why I actually came to this thread, which was for @basnijholt to add a wish list of “could you integrate a wake-up ‘sunrise effect’ alarm” into this component.

The other thing that would be nice is if the entity field for the config could be text-editable, as if you delete or rename an entity in there currently it bugs out and won’t let you unselect/uncheck the entity that doesn’t exist - workaround it to delete & remake.

Edit: yeah ran into the same issue again where there seems to be an upper limit on transition effects, forgot that’s why I didn’t use it in the first place, it needs scripting to get a fluid/prolonged transition effect.